Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 4 focus bonnet not releasing

Dark Andy

I decided to check and top-up my screen wash last night but when I pulled the bonnet release lever, nothing happened. No feeling of a cable tightening, nothing, almost like the cable just isn't there (snapped or disconnected?). I've already seen the thread about removing the lever and cranking the mechanism with a socket but that's not working either so I was wondering if there's another way to release the catch from the grill end?

You would need to put it on jack stands and either try to locate the wire and pull it or remove the lock from underneath. Do you see any wire connected at the lever end? 

There's no quick release from outside as it's a security feature.  You'd have to go up from underneath as above.

It must still be under warranty though so I'd take it into Ford when they open.  Just wipe the screen at home before you leave.  I know no screen wash is illegal but I'd be very surprised if police were doing stop checks atm...

I thought it might have been easier - didn't you just flip the badge over and put your key in on the old Focus? According to the Trust Ford website  they are open for key workers (which I am) so hopefully they'll be able to fit me in without having to wait too long.

• Like 1

Did you pull the lever twice ? 

Its not a one pull lever just in case you haven't seen the x2 on the lever itself. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dark Andy said:

...didn't you just flip the badge over and put your key in on the old Focus? 

Yes, but that system was both unreliable and insecure, which is why they switched to the conventional cable system again for Mk3 onwards.  

34 minutes ago, Wino said:

Did you pull the lever twice ? 

Its not a one pull lever just in case you haven't seen the x2 on the lever itself. 

Yep, tried multiple pulls - nothing. There's no resistance on the lever other than the return spring, so like I said, I think the cable's either snapped or become disconnected somehow.

28 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Yes, but that system was both unreliable and insecure, which is why they switched to the conventional cable system again for Mk3 onwards.  

To be honest, I'm not too impressed with the reliability of my Mk4 either - this will be the third time it's gone back in less than a year 😡

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Dark Andy said:

To be honest, I'm not too impressed with the reliability of my Mk4 either - this will be the third time it's gone back in less than a year 😡

Modern Ford reliability is the reason I drive a Golf! :whistling:   

I'd be annoyed with a snapped bonnet cable on a 2018 as well model though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Modern Ford reliability is the reason I drive a Golf! :whistling:   

I'd be annoyed with a snapped bonnet cable on a 2018 as well model though. 

My car prior to this one was a VW Group one too, a SEAT Exeo (basically a rebadged Audi A4) and that was fine (well, except for the "diesalgate" cheat mode fiasco) until all the wiring rotted - apparently they switched to biodegradable wiring in 2011, the year my car was made. The car might not have been as technologically advanced as the Focus and had its inherent design flaws (ie. Biodegradable wiring and Emissions cheating software) but at least it was screwed together well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dark Andy said:

I thought it might have been easier - didn't you just flip the badge over and put your key in on the old Focus?

Yes you did, and it is ***** too! LOL (Happy ending though...)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I got lever off and lower panel and pulled lever and bent cable at same time, it is definitely a cable stretch issue, bonnet opened and I remove cover above radiator  and bent where cable attached to remove slack, all works now, can't see any adjustment mechanism which is a little annoying. 

• Sad 1

Without any details in your profile, replies will be of little help. Are you talking about a Mk4 Focus ? and with no location we don't know if it is RHD or LHD

zero.JPG

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club