Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Edge Sport 2017

Mrtugboat87

Hi All,

I need some help. Can you help me work out what my cars lights are? The dealer couldn’t help me with this...

Do these lights have the cornering function? 
Do they have auto high beam? If so how do I use?
Do they have adaptive lights? 
I’m hoping someone could help work it out by the photons. Many thanks,

Tug

3CA9EAE8-1079-4B0E-8377-A0C2EBDA9663.jpeg

CF1BDC6E-4202-4B63-B080-77602F62170C.jpeg

They're the standard halogen ones. Sorry, not sure what features they have though. The Adaptive LED lights have the DRL beam that runs around the sides and the bottom of each headlight. Looks like so...

IMG_E7005.JPG

Put headlamp switch all the way round to auto mode. Headlamps will turn on when required.  Corner lamps are incorporated in fog lamps and will light at low speed when turning.. The main beam will dip automatically if your vehicle has this function.  What model Edge is it ? 

14 minutes ago, eddiek said:

Put headlamp switch all the way round to auto mode. Headlamps will turn on when required.  Corner lamps are incorporated in fog lamps and will light at low speed when turning.. The main beam will dip automatically if your vehicle has this function.  What model Edge is it ? 

It’s the 2017 sport, Eddiek. Do you know if this will have the auto levelling?

6 hours ago, Trent Edge said:

They're the standard halogen ones. Sorry, not sure what features they have though. The Adaptive LED lights have the DRL beam that runs around the sides and the bottom of each headlight. Looks like so...

IMG_E7005.JPG

I take it you can’t swap these yourself? Or can you?

57 minutes ago, Mrtugboat87 said:

It’s the 2017 sport, Eddiek. Do you know if this will have the auto levelling?

Mine is 2017 Sport too.   The lamps have manual levelling. A wee button in centre of switch . Push it and it pops out.  Then you turn to set height.  

3 minutes ago, eddiek said:

Mine is 2017 Sport too.   The lamps have manual levelling. A wee button in centre of switch . Push it and it pops out.  Then you turn to set height.  

Where about is this, is there near the dial where you can change it to auto lights?
Just to confirm, these are not the Xenon or the LED ones, just the Halogen?  or is Xenon = Halogen. I am very new to this 😄

37 minutes ago, Mrtugboat87 said:

Where about is this, is there near the dial where you can change it to auto lights?
Just to confirm, these are not the Xenon or the LED ones, just the Halogen?  or is Xenon = Halogen. I am very new to this 😄

The centre of the switch   (dial).  Press it  ! 

5 hours ago, Mrtugboat87 said:

I take it you can’t swap these yourself? Or can you?

You can swap your halogen bulbs for LED Bulbs as other have done, thread linked below.

But I would imagine it would be near impossible for the average person to swap the headlight units to the full adaptive LED headlight units as this would need programming into the car, new wiring and the windscreen front facing camera if they aren't already fitted I would expect but this is all assumption and don't really know.

46 minutes ago, Trent Edge said:

You can swap your halogen bulbs for LED bulbs as other have done, thread linked below.

But I would imagine it would be near impossible for the average person to swap the headlight units to the full adaptive LED headlight units as this would need programming into the car, new wiring and the windscreen front facing camera if they aren't already fitted I would expect but this is all assumption and don't really know.

Cheers mate. I’ll have a look at the LED headlights, I think that will be perfect for me!

On 5/26/2020 at 8:13 PM, Trent Edge said:

You can swap your halogen bulbs for LED bulbs as other have done, thread linked below.

Sorry mate - I’m getting my edges lights changed in the next two weeks now. My pal works at ford and said he’ll fit me in. Do we have day time running lights on ours? If so how do we turn them on? Is it with the auto button on the dial? I take it this will be turned brighter with the turn to LeDs too?

17 minutes ago, Mrtugboat87 said:

Do we have day time running lights on ours? If so how do we turn them on?

DRL's are on all models (mandatory in the UK for a few years now) and are turned on when the ignition is on and engine running. You can't turn them off, other than ignition off! I think they go off when you turn headlamps on, they don't stay on as well as side and main beams.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 11:25 PM, simonb65 said:

DRL's are on all models (mandatory in the UK for a few years now) and are turned on when the ignition is on and engine running. You can't turn them off, other than ignition off! I think they go off when you turn headlamps on, they don't stay on as well as side and main beams.

Thanks Simon. The standard lights in general are pretty poor. Can hardly see my DRL! As soon as I can get mine changed I’ll let you know 🙂

Sorry again, so I’ve got a mechanic looking at replacing my Halogen with LEDs. I take it this is safe to do and white legal? From what I’ve read, It is but you’ve got to be careful? I know I’ll notice a difference but will it affect my auto high beam?

Sorry again 😅

do you know if a conversion kit is needed?!

29 minutes ago, Mrtugboat87 said:

do you know if a conversion kit is needed?!

The LEDs that are discussed on these topics are direct replacements for Halogen filaments lamps. There is no conversion kit needed, although bear in mind that LEDs generally have small or medium sized heat-sinks on the back and so physical size needs to be considered.

As for the legality, if the beam still meets the projection 'area' that is required by the MOT, then yes they are perfectly legal. If they stray outside this 'area' due to poor selection and/or poor fitment, then that are very illegal! So, be careful and choose wisely. I suggest fitting LEDs of the types other forum users have sourced and tested.

The only difference you should see is a much, much, much brighter more direct beam than the standard halogen candles! 😎

2 minutes ago, simonb65 said:

The LEDs that are discussed on these topics are direct replacements for Halogen filaments lamps. There is no conversion kit needed, although bear in mind that LEDs generally have small or medium sized heat-sinks on the back and so physical size needs to be considered.

As for the legality, if the beam still meets the projection 'area' that is required by the MOT, then yes they are perfectly legal. If they stray outside this 'area' due to poor selection and/or poor fitment, then that are very illegal! So, be careful and choose wisely. I suggest fitting LEDs of the types other forum users have sourced and tested.

The only difference you should see is a much, much, much brighter more direct beam than the standard halogen candles! 😎

Thanks Simon! I appreciate it. 

im hoping as a mechanic he should be savvy in making sure it’s all legal! I’d be a bit annoyed if he wasn’t. 

is there anything else that I may have missed that the Ford Edge can do that I may not know about 🤣

mice upgraded from a 2017 kuga.

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2020 at 4:47 PM, simonb65 said:

image.png.232b02a333d00c14278ee196491e7355.png

Sorry Simon, replying to an old message but got a question.

i know the number you set this at depends on what weight is in the car but what is the normal average setting? Mine was at 3 but it didn’t light much do thr road up. It’s now at 1 - would this be ok?

2 hours ago, Mrtugboat87 said:

i know the number you set this at depends on what weight is in the car but what is the normal average setting? Mine was at 3 but it didn’t light much do thr road up. It’s now at 1 - would this be ok?

Long answer ... Your right in that it depends on the loading in the back of the car. I think the manual says that if there are people in the back, you should adjust it. By how much I couldn't say. I just wind it as high up as I can without being flashed!! The headlights aren't the best to start with. I never adjust it, even loaded or towing a caravan. Only get flashed now when the auto dip decides to take it's time! 

Short answer ... just trial and error to find the best setting!

6 hours ago, simonb65 said:

Long answer ... Your right in that it depends on the loading in the back of the car. I think the manual says that if there are people in the back, you should adjust it. By how much I couldn't say. I just wind it as high up as I can without being flashed!! The headlights aren't the best to start with. I never adjust it, even loaded or towing a caravan. Only get flashed now when the auto dip decides to take it's time! 

Short answer ... just trial and error to find the best setting!

As always Simon - thanks a bunch mate. 

I take it there’s no adaptive lights on these cars if you have the halogen lights? I’m sure my right light dimmed a bit when it was going around a corner (it was being cleaned and they moved it as I was outside) 

1 hour ago, Mrtugboat87 said:

As always Simon - thanks a bunch mate. 

I take it there’s no adaptive lights on these cars if you have the halogen lights? I’m sure my right light dimmed a bit when it was going around a corner (it was being cleaned and they moved it as I was outside) 

Mark, I think this has been answered in the other thread you’ve been on. For non-adaptive headlamps, assuming it’s just you and a front passenger in the car, the headlamp height adjuster should be set at 0. Thereafter dependant on the weight in the vehicle and how it’s distributed, you would increase the number on the height adjuster, which reduces the height of the beam. Fully loaded and towing, would possibly be 4 for example, but there isn’t a definitive setting for a given amount of weight, so as Simon says above it’s a case of trial and error. For me a good rule of thumb is when you come up behind another car at traffic lights, if your headlights illuminate the car in front any higher than the base of their rear screen, it is probably time to change the height. Whilst stationary in that situation, you can clearly see the height of the beam adjusting as you rotate the little knob. 

15 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

Mark, I think this has been answered in the other thread you’ve been on. For non-adaptive headlamps, assuming it’s just you and a front passenger in the car, the headlamp height adjuster should be set at 0. Thereafter dependant on the weight in the vehicle and how it’s distributed, you would increase the number on the height adjuster, which reduces the height of the beam. Fully loaded and towing, would possibly be 4 for example, but there isn’t a definitive setting for a given amount of weight, so as Simon says above it’s a case of trial and error. For me a good rule of thumb is when you come up behind another car at traffic lights, if your headlights illuminate the car in front any higher than the base of their rear screen, it is probably time to change the height. Whilst stationary in that situation, you can clearly see the height of the beam adjusting as you rotate the little knob. 

Cheers again.

so I just took it out and it’s much better. I have it set at 0 now. So much more road is visible!!

does this look like an OK beam? 

03F40F93-C8E8-4378-B910-5E6B46398F4E.jpeg

Looks pretty standard for the halogen candles fitted as standard - yes. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club