Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 coolant levels

Alex.S

My mk4 is 7 months old now. Less than 7000 miles.  I’ve noticed the coolant level is at the MIN line already. Is this normal? 

No, this is not normal. The coolant should sit nicely in between the min & max setting. It's a sealed system so any loss indicates a leak somewhere. I would top it up to the middle level (red coolant if you have it, though the amount will be relatively small so water will do at a pinch), then monitor it daily. If it drops again, you'll have an indication of how long it took, which would tell you how big the leak is. In the mean time, stuff a 2liter bottle of water in your boot in case of emergency, and take it to a garage for a pressure test. At 7 months old, it's well within warranty period.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply Stephen . 
It’s a motability car. I’ve sent them that photo. 
I’ll need to call the dealership see if they’re open. 

It's probably normal tbh…  Hot running engine and a watercooled turbo are bound to burn some coolant.  Yours is the 1.0EB isn't it?

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

It's probably normal tbh…  Hot running engine and a watercooled turbo are bound to burn some coolant.  Yours is the 1.0EB isn't it?

No it’s a 1.5 petrol 182 

I first noticed it was low a few weeks ago. If it’s leaking it’s not leaking quickly 

3 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

No it’s a 1.5 petrol 182 

That's what I meant... :whistling: 

Same applies though, it's normal to burn a little on EB engines, I doubt it's leaking.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Tom, I usually bow to your much superior mechanical knowledge, however, on this occasion, I would definitely get it checked out. Over the years, (with different cars) on seeing a low coolant level, I've had to replace 3 x radiators, one top hose, one water pump, and on my current lowly Focus, a heater matrix seal.

I always think that when you see a low coolant level, it's the cars way of say, "hey buddy, I'm in need of a bit of attention, and if you ignore me, I'll get that ***** off, I'll strand you on a roadside somewhere with steam billowing out LOL".

Of course, you could be right, but especially if it's a 'motability' car still under warranty, I'd get it looked at.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alex.S said:

I first noticed it was low a few weeks ago. If it’s leaking it’s not leaking quickly 

Could always be simple like a faulty pressure cap

13 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

Could always be simple like a faulty pressure cap

Yep, that's what this forum told me on my leak, so I spent £14 on a new cap, before spending £100s on getting the heater matrix repaired LOL 🤣

I don’t think that’s normal either, my 1.6 EB always runs hot (cooling fan often comes on after a journey) but the coolant doesn’t drop, it stays at max.

Got it topped up. Didn’t need much. That photo was a cold engine. Thanks for the replies 👍

Currently trying to get a good deal on a battery for my dads Astra. £170 for a Bosch sound about right? He’s isolating, the flat battery in it I bought about 4 years ago. Can’t remember how much it cost. 

3 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

I don’t think that’s normal either, my 1.6 EB always runs hot (cooling fan often comes on after a journey) but the coolant doesn’t drop, it stays at max.

Once it’s cold I’ll take another photo to compare. 

• Like 1

When it’s hot it should be at max and when cold be nearer minimum? 

2 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Got it topped up. Didn’t need much. That photo was a cold engine. Thanks for the replies 👍

Currently trying to get a good deal on a battery for my dads Astra. £170 for a Bosch sound about right? He’s isolating, the flat battery in it I bought about 4 years ago. Can’t remember how much it cost. 

Sounds steep. I bought a Bosch battery last year from Europarts for a Mercedes C class, a brute of a thing, priced at £125...

4 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Sounds steep. I bought a Bosch battery last year from Europarts for a Mercedes C class, a brute of a thing, priced at £125...

That’s Euro car parts with 20% off. Most expensive one they sell. (For the Astra ) Cheapest ones at £130

I normally go to KwikFit for stuff like that, they fit and provide a good guarantee. (Though at the time, it was a distress purchase and I needed it very urgently LOL, Europarts didn't have the stock in)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

I normally go to KwikFit for stuff like that, they fit and provide a good guarantee. (Though at the time, it was a distress purchase and I needed it very urgently LOL, Europarts didn't have the stock in)

I’m trying to replace it now before having to make a distress purchase! 

Try carparts4less...  Copy the part number over from ECP as it's technically the same place...just much cheaper usually!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

When it’s hot it should be at max and when cold be nearer minimum? 

Water takes up the least volume at 4 Degrees C. Above and below that temperature it expands.

I have the same engine as you but I only take a quick glance at my water and brake fluid levels when I check my oil so they may be near the minimum as well but I have not noticed them dropping.

I think Ford are famous for only putting just enough fluids in their cars. When I got mine the oil was less than 1/4 above the minimum, but it has not dropped since then.

• Like 1

When I was at the dealership I asked about service intervals.

2 years or 18,000 miles. 

some kind of health check at 12 months. (Not a service but you can be sure it’ll be ‘needing’ an oil change at least) 

Told me I’d get a letter reminder , is that true? Or is it up to me to time it? 
My situation is different from owners right enough. 

Doubt you'll get a letter.  The missus got a phone call, I didn't even get that.

Just had my 12m check.  It's 89 quid for them to tell you your car is fine.  Gets you the breakdown cover renewed though.

My oil is at 40% so no change needed yet.

Mine is not a year old yet but I think the health check is the Ford Convenience Check that costs about £100 but does give you another years breakdown cover, but you might not need that.

The oil will need changed when the oil life indicator gets to zero, which in my case will be at about 10-12,000 miles. That oil life interval seems to be normal for mixed driving.

12 month "convenience check" only checks levels etc (no oil change if 18k service interval) but is needed if you want to extend free Ford breakdown cover. Its down to your dealer whether they remind you though.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club