Do Not Sell My Personal Information

power steering malfunction

dotman69

Focus Estate 2012 (with electrical power steering/stop/start button etc) Looking for advice or if people have had similar - we had a power steering malfunction warning and lost power steering, to cut a long story short, we have replaced the battery and this didn't rectify the problem, we took it to Ford for diagnostics and they gave us the error code: U3003:13-48 PSCM and told us to change the alternator and belt and assured us that would fix the problem (we have the print out of work required as recommended by them) the alternator has been replaced today by a local garage using ford parts and guess what - it hasn't worked! so a big chunk of money down and we still have no powersteering. Does anyone know what this error code actually means and if it points to the alternator or is it more likely to be the steering rack? 

Advice gratefully received. 

If you have no power steering at all then I would guess you need a new steering rack. They usually start playing up intermittently when starting the car and it takes a stop and start or 2 to get it going again. It has already been looked at and you have had a new battery and alternator fitted which rules out the power to the rack. There are 2 electrical connectors to the rack which I would assume have been checked.

There are several threads on here with electric power steering failures. I had the intermittent problem for around a year before my rack gave up completely and stayed non functional. With 18 inch alloys it was only drivable at a crawl. Your choices are limited but a new rack from Ford is around £1200 plus fitting, there are some third party racks available for around half the price or go for a refurbished rack. I got a refurbished rack with 2 year warranty for £400 plus £200 to have it fitted at my local garage. I've never had the problem since.

ColW thank you for that, I dont think we have a choice but to replace the steering rack by the sounds of it, think we will see if our local garage can quote for a refurb part, thank you for highlighting the price difference! That will save us a fortune if its possible. Its just so annoying, Ford assured us that the alternator would fix it and hasn't so still have this cost.  The power steering problem started off as intermittent the same as yours and then suddenly went completely. 

The issue occurs in the electronic module built into the steering rack but unfortunately it isn't replaceable.

A refurbished rack is definitely possible. I bought mine direct from a power steering company and had it delivered in a crate to my local garage who had already given me a price to fit it. The old rack had to be sent back as a part exchange to get that price.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club