Do Not Sell My Personal Information

installing a diferent fuse box into a focus 09 fl

mrmetallica

i was speaking to some one on here about instaling a diferent fuse box into my car and they where telling me how to do it.

well i want to have another go does any on know the way to do it ? i was told about copying things over from one to the other but not too sure looking for a reminder

I'm just curious... why on earth would you want to install a 'different' fuse box in your car?

8 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I'm just curious... why on earth would you want to install a 'different' fuse box in your car?

Breakers selling mk2 parts cheaper than purchasing a single fuse these days 😂

• Haha 1

because they fail..... and depending upon the original built the GEM (general electric module) or these days most refer to them as the BCM (body control module), has different pins wired up / functions available in a given car. 

the GEM although holding lots of fuses.... on modern cars, is really a programmable control box to link up multiple systems in the car... thus support the use of, or ability to turn on off various toys.  A free Russian tool and a laptop (using the right ODBC cable) can take a copy of how your current unit is set up with its 3 separate configuration files.... you then need to write these back to the new module before you drive it.

So on my Zetec climate (heated screen and AC) I could enable cruise control on the base GEM.  But there are no pins to wire in the auto dim mirror, the auto lights, or auto wipers and the loom to support those also brought additional interior lights, and then you get to add the motion sensor for the more sophisticated alarm or the IR receiver for keyless..... and possibly to make sense for the microphone for calls and allow the voice control features to go between the car and the bluetooth calls and music streaming module...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Botus said:

because they fail..... and depending upon the original built the GEM (general electric module) or these days most refer to them as the BCM (body control module), has different pins wired up / functions available in a given car. 

the GEM although holding lots of fuses.... on modern cars, is really a programmable control box to link up multiple systems in the car... thus support the use of, or ability to turn on off various toys.  A free Russian tool and a laptop (using the right ODBC cable) can take a copy of how your current unit is set up with its 3 separate configuration files.... you then need to write these back to the new module before you drive it.

So on my Zetec climate (heated screen and AC) I could enable cruise control on the base GEM.  But there are no pins to wire in the auto dim mirror, the auto lights, or auto wipers and the loom to support those also brought additional interior lights, and then you get to add the motion sensor for the more sophisticated alarm or the IR receiver for keyless..... and possibly to make sense for the microphone for calls and allow the voice control features to go between the car and the Bluetooth calls and music streaming module...

I had the factory bluetooth in my 2010 and streaming music via bluetooth wasn't possible; only voice calls and voice commands, I've gone full aftermarket much better have reverse camera, dual screen roof monitor, Netflix and tv tuner great for self isolating on lunch breaks in work 

9 hours ago, StephenFord said:

because mine has had a bit of water damage some how .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lenny said:

I had the factory bluetooth in my 2010 and streaming music via bluetooth wasn't possible; only voice calls and voice commands, I've gone full aftermarket much better have reverse camera, dual screen roof monitor, Netflix and tv tuner great for self isolating on lunch breaks in work 

yes but its important to get the message out there its easily possible.....

mines a 57 plate with it all working.  Your car was just missing 4 wires... mine was missing all of them, but a fake VAG loom can be had of eBay for 25 quid even comes with a microphone and wires that easily reaches to the interior light.  All the pins need juggling and you need add a few extras wires, but it then brings it bang up to std for the way ford did it 

rather disappointing the idiots at Ford forgot to add DAB to the choice of modules u can tell the car to use.  So in the middle of playing a CD or whatever, press the button and say, Radio FM 95.8 and it just starts playing Capital radio.  But you can't say DAB.... even when DAB was std in 2010 and the last software update was Nov 2012

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club