Sign in to follow this  
da66

Thermostats

I've been trying to replace the thermostat on my 2002 focus 2.0 ghia.

After waiting stupid amounts of time for delivery and even paying for next day I have two thermostats one is definitely wrong, my bad, and the other is supposed to be correct but isn't long enough to block the port it is supposed to block in the thermostatic holder block (thingy) I know this because I brought a new one of these too - cheap enough to replace as I thought it had cracked  and whatwas causing the leak.

Once apart the leak was caused by the thermostat rubber gasket failure, I now have two different thermostat rubber gaskets - both different one came with the thermostat i ordered and one with the new holder I ordered.

The problem is the new thermostat as mentioned is not the right length by about 5mm and searching the net throws back results saying all new ones are 33mm long but the existing (may not be original) is 38mm long and closes the port within the housing....

I can't keep oredering different parts and waiting for 8-10 days for parts to arrive I neeed to get the car back on the road and this is getting me riled.

any help??

Urgh just figured it out, the old one is stuck (rusted) open that's why its extended D'oh......😫

All's good 👌

Thanks for the update! So many posts end without the OP closing it off.

On the other hand, wonder why it's rusty? coolant is supposed  to prevent rust 🤔