Sign in to follow this  
TimJ

Air con *con* ?

Recommended Posts

Just had my air conditioning regassed / 'serviced' by a local Cool Car franchisee but it doesn't seem to be very cold at all.  The visit started off very well with a friendly and seemingly knowledgable bloke and his assistant.  They had a gas cylinder of refrigerant and another one to remove old gas, gauges, hoses and weighing scales to weigh the gas bottles (to see how much has gone in).  However towards the end of the visit, the man said something like its not cold yet it takes a day or so, it needs to run around the system etc.

Had a little drive for about 15 mins and it doesnt seem much if any colder than just air blown by a fan (I'll update after tomorrow after a decent drive anyway).  Does it sound like I've been 'done'?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like he either didn't weigh enough in or that he noticed a problem and tried to fob you off.

 

Systems that small work straight away unless your working on a large pac system or a vrv then they don't need time to "go round the system"

 

I would take it back and get it done properly

 

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only way to know for sure is to check the temp at the centre vent with a cheapish probe thermometer. 
You can check the temp on the coldest settings with and without the AC button switched on and compare. 
 

On my Mk2 Focus with an outside ambient temp of 25c the AC blows 2c at the vent on the coldest setting.  For comparison With the AC button off it blows around 20c at the vent on the coldest setting while the car is stationary when the ambient temp is just 15c outside! It’s very easy to test if your AC is actually working or not 😉 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bailie050310 said:

Sounds like he either didn't weigh enough in or that he noticed a problem and tried to fob you off.

 

Systems that small work straight away unless your working on a large pac system or a vrv then they don't need time to "go round the system"

 

I would take it back and get it done properly

 

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

I 100% agree, when I bought the wife's MK2.5 1.8 Focus the A/C wasn't great and after a recharge, the difference was immediate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TimJ said:

However towards the end of the visit, the man said something like its not cold yet it takes a day or so, it needs to run around the system etc.

Sounds like he's been taking advice from Are You Being Served....  "They'll ride up with wear" :laugh: 

As above, it's rubbish, takes just seconds to get around a small car system, at worst a couple of minutes to get down to full cooling, it should absolutely be cold by the time you leave the garage.  Slightly worrying that it sounds like a proper AC specialist!? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies for repeating this, but for a simple re gas, it is hard to beat KwikFit. (I have no financial interest in them LOL) They measure the temp before and after re gas, and if it doesn't meet a set criteria, you don't pay for it. An independent specialist normally can't offer this type of service. However, an independent can normally 'fix' a broken system whereas KwikFit don't...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some vids if you feel brave enough and give you some info as to the process, it might also be worth checking the AC compressor and/or getting some UV dye in to see if you have a leak but if it's not pushing cold air then it's a bodge job.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

two simple questions for starters

was it creating cool air before hand ?  (probably already broken and re gas isn't the issue)

have you double checked to see if you have the AC set to run?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully, they not only regassed it, but also injected PAG oil and UV dye also. The oil is there to lube the compressor and prevent  the O ring seals from drying out and cracking. But your receipt and guarantee should tell you. The oil in the system is the reason you're supposed to run the AC all year round... to keep the seals lubed. (that's what I was told anyway) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Botus said:

two simple questions for starters

was it creating cool air before hand ?  (probably already broken and re gas isn't the issue)

have you double checked to see if you have the AC set to run?

 

 

Agree, if it’s not cooling at all straight after the re-gas something’s probably broken rather than there just being a leak. 
 

Does it not even feel cool with the air blowing straight at you? I’ve noticed the AC in a focus isn’t that great at actually cooling the cabin temp that quickly but it will cool YOU quickly if it’s blowing straight at you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

About 4 days ago mine was working, although not the coldest, and then yesterday nothing. Just air from outside being pumped in and really not cooling at all..

So with this, I've taken mine to Kwik Fit today to get it done and 15 mins later, all is icy cold - I know the staff well and was able to chat for a while about it and there is most definitely no system that is that latent in it getting cold from a fresh regas...

I was there watching the measurements the machine removed 163mg of old gas, and injected 640mg of new (the Focus ST TDCI holds 625mg +/- 15mg).

Did you not get told how much was in/came out?

There is a sensor attached to the high pressure valve which reads the amount of gas pressure and if it falls below a certain amount the system will not kick in properly to prevent damage. Double check that this hasn't been unplugged or disturbed as this can stop the AC working correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, WireyWhenWet said:

 

About 4 days ago mine was working, although not the coldest, and then yesterday nothing. Just air from outside being pumped in and really not cooling at all

You have a slow leak somewhere. An A/C system is a closed system, and if there are no problems, coolant is not consumed by the vehicle, nor does it escape.

If you’re lucky it could just be a ‘very slight’ leak on the seals or something so it takes a few years to lose most of the gas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 6:39 PM, Bailie050310 said:

Sounds like he either didn't weigh enough in or that he noticed a problem and tried to fob you off.

 

Systems that small work straight away unless your working on a large pac system or a vrv then they don't need time to "go round the system"

 

I would take it back and get it done properly

 

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

Yes, unsurprisingly after an 80 mile drive there's no difference.  I've rung him back and he is going to discuss with me later today (it was a mobile guy unfort so I can't physically go and hang around somewhere til its done)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 10:57 PM, Hooded said:

Only way to know for sure is to check the temp at the centre vent with a cheapish probe thermometer. 
You can check the temp on the coldest settings with and without the AC button switched on and compare. 
 

On my Mk2 Focus with an outside ambient temp of 25c the AC blows 2c at the vent on the coldest setting.  For comparison With the AC button off it blows around 20c at the vent on the coldest setting while the car is stationary when the ambient temp is just 15c outside! It’s very easy to test if your AC is actually working or not 😉 

 

Hi  I haven't got a thermometer but its same temp whether A/C is on or off and although it seems slightly cool, its the same temp as the air rushing by the open window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Botus said:

two simple questions for starters

was it creating cool air before hand ?  (probably already broken and re gas isn't the issue)

have you double checked to see if you have the AC set to run?

 

 

Hi its a 2014 car I just bought in January this year and its never worked for me yet, I just assumed gas had run out and I was going to regas in Spring although I've delayed with Corona.  So I don't know if it was broken before or what.

Yes, I'm familiar with the controls and have tried both the manual AC on/off button and the auto climate functions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, nicam49 said:

Hopefully, they not only regassed it, but also injected PAG oil and UV dye also. The oil is there to lube the compressor and prevent  the O ring seals from drying out and cracking. But your receipt and guarantee should tell you. The oil in the system is the reason you're supposed to run the AC all year round... to keep the seals lubed. (that's what I was told anyway) 

Yes the man said he'd put dye in.  Paperwork was very skimpy and no guarantee was given.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Hooded said:

Agree, if it’s not cooling at all straight after the re-gas something’s probably broken rather than there just being a leak. 
 

Does it not even feel cool with the air blowing straight at you? I’ve noticed the AC in a focus isn’t that great at actually cooling the cabin temp that quickly but it will cool YOU quickly if it’s blowing straight at you.

Yes, I've tried putting my hand right in front of the vents, but no cool air

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, WireyWhenWet said:

 

About 4 days ago mine was working, although not the coldest, and then yesterday nothing. Just air from outside being pumped in and really not cooling at all..

So with this, I've taken mine to Kwik Fit today to get it done and 15 mins later, all is icy cold - I know the staff well and was able to chat for a while about it and there is most definitely no system that is that latent in it getting cold from a fresh regas...

I was there watching the measurements the machine removed 163mg of old gas, and injected 640mg of new (the Focus ST TDCI holds 625mg +/- 15mg).

Did you not get told how much was in/came out?

There is a sensor attached to the high pressure valve which reads the amount of gas pressure and if it falls below a certain amount the system will not kick in properly to prevent damage. Double check that this hasn't been unplugged or disturbed as this can stop the AC working correctly.

I didn't get told the amounts.  I'll have a look at the HP sensor thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TimJ said:

Hi its a 2014 car I just bought in January this year and its never worked for me yet, I just assumed gas had run out...

 

Well, at least a lesson learned. It is NEVER a simple re gas when buying a car where the A/C doesn't work. The previous owner would easily pay £50 odd to get it working if it was that simple. I have walked away from potential cars because A/C doesn't work. It's a ***** PIA when they don't, and can be expensive too if multiple faults like the condenser & compressor both failing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No worries, couple of tips generally; If you have the AC on and occasionally hear a sort of hissing sound from around the dash/vents, that can be a sign of lower than normal gas as well and would be worth having it checked. We've also had one in before where the AC was fully working, but kept cutting out - The cabin filter was so clogged up that the cold AC air couldn't get into the car quick enough and the system kept freezing up. Just a couple of pub-ammo type somethings worth knowing now and then. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a 2014 car ought to be worth more than 5k, just take to a garage and get it sorted.... but you need someone with ford diagnostic kit and a clue how it works...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Botus said:

.... but you need someone with ford diagnostic kit and a clue how it works...

 

I'm curious, how does having a garage with 'ford diagnostic' kit repair an A/C system differently to an AirCon specialist without?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I'm curious, how does having a garage with 'ford diagnostic' kit repair an A/C system differently to an AirCon specialist without?

Yep, I’d generally have more confidence in an AC specialist than a main dealer when it comes to servicing and fixing the AC system in my cars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 3:39 PM, StephenFord said:

I'm curious, how does having a garage with 'ford diagnostic' kit repair an A/C system differently to an AirCon specialist without?

because the air con man only just about knows how a fridge works...

you need to connect ford diagnostics up to tell you why its not operational - that's why the first lot never fixed it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Botus said:

because the air con man only just about knows how a fridge works...

 

Yes, but if you get a proper fridge guy, he'll still know how to fix it! Indeed, that's a great analogy. Last year my home fridge went faulty. I called my guy (who fixes domestic appliances, washing machines, ovens etc) he diagnosed the fault, and fixed it. It would never dawn on me to call out a 'manufacturer' engineer! LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this