Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air con *con* ?

TimJ

On 6/1/2020 at 11:00 AM, TimJ said:

I didn't get told the amounts.  I'll have a look at the HP sensor thanks

The MK3 Focus is also notorious for AC system leaks, the condenser (the smaller radiator) seems particularly vulnerable to getting punctured.

1 hour ago, 1979Damian said:

The MK3 Focus is also notorious for AC system leaks, the condenser (the smaller radiator) seems particularly vulnerable to getting punctured.

I have heard about Mk3 Focus being leaky.  However this system didn't work even immediately after recharge, if it was a leakage it would surely work at first and then die down.

15 minutes ago, TimJ said:

I have heard about Mk3 Focus being leaky.  However this system didn't work even immediately after recharge, if it was a leakage it would surely work at first and then die down.

It depends what the root cause is mate, like any pressurised system, it only needs a pin head sized hole and whatever you're trying to fill the system with going to come back out in double quick time.  If the system hasn't worked in years, all the seals will likely be shagged, the dryer will need replacing etc etc.

Assuming the A/C bloke actually pressure tested your system 1st and it passed, then I'd assume the leak isn't THAT bad for it to not work at all straight afterwards.  It's probably more likely that the root cause lies elsewhere such as the pressure switch, as mentioned earlier if the system thinks the pressure is too low it won't even try to fire up.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TimJ said:

I agree generally if it’s a leak it will work for a short time at least after a re-charge. If the leak was so bad it never worked at all straight after the re-charge there’s no way anyone who knows what they’re doing would have missed it! 

It sounds like there’s an actual fault that needs fixing with the AC system somewhere and possibly a leak as well if the gas was also low. 

doesn't matter if you found an air con guy who does know what he's doing (...I've never met one !) without being able to talk to the car then you'll get nowhere at all

on a merc, once you drain it down it only comes to life when diagnostic kit clears the fault code - otherwise the its locked out and will never run - I can imagine that's becoming normal as cars get more complex and they are desperate to make you bin it 

Just now, Botus said:

on a merc, once you drain it down it only comes to life when diagnostic kit clears the fault code - otherwise the its locked out and will never run - I can imagine that's becoming normal as cars get more complex and they are desperate to make you bin it 

Sorry buddy, I absolutely have to disagree! On my C class Merc last year, my 'air con' guy (who I have used for nearly 20 years, and ALL he does is car A/C), installed a new Hella condenser on the old girl. Once fitted, he recharged the system and refrigerated air thumped out of all vents. He never went near any 'diagnostics' or fault clearing codes... :thumbup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Sorry buddy, I absolutely have to disagree! On my C class Merc last year, my 'air con' guy (who I have used for nearly 20 years, and ALL he does is car A/C), installed a new Hella condenser on the old girl. Once fitted, he recharged the system and refrigerated air thumped out of all vents. He never went near any 'diagnostics' or fault clearing codes... :thumbup:

but had the car hit the low level limit and turned itself off?  if he did it all without the ignition on, then it won't have seen standard servicing as a fault

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Botus said:

but had the car hit the low level limit and turned itself off?  if he did it all without the ignition on, then it won't have seen standard servicing as a fault

Well, bugger me, I had the keys in my pocket the whole time (I remember because when he finished, he asked me to get in the car and start it to see if it worked) , so I guess he just knew what he was doing LOL