Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Son put £1 in CD player now speakers won’t work

Oliverryan

My son put a few £1 coins in my CD player, everything was fine for a few weeks thought nothing of it but now my Speakers have stopped working, I’ve got the coins out of the CD player now ( took the CD player out) anybody got any ideas on how to fix this?

• Sad 2

It's probably shorted something on the PCB.

• Like 1

take it apart and get the pound out see what damage has been done. let us know if theres any change 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Check for loose connections at rear of radio

4 hours ago, alexp999 said:

It's probably shorted something on the PCB.

I’m presuming that just means a change of fuse? How would I know if it has shorted something? 

1 hour ago, g1zm0 said:

Check for loose connections at rear of radio

I did this when I took the CD player out and everything seemed fine

There is a 99% chance that the coins caused a short circuit on the circuit board of the ACM (Audio Control Module) and damaged one or more of the electrical components. 

If this is the case you should replace the ACM. Do not bother to have it repaired. It is much cheaper to buy a replacement ACM from eBay. There are plenty available and usually for pretty low prices. 

• Like 1

I agree the chances are it caused a short that burnt something out. but the thing that burnt out probably has no outwards signs that it burnt out and might have been something like one of those chip things with something like 16 little legs soldered to the board and measuring 0.5mm each.  even with a microscope you probably wouldn't find it any visual sign of damage. 

If a friend has a focus . Ask if you can try his unit in yours before you buy one , they are cheap on ebay 

Claim off your insurance and get another unit fitted, there's plenty on the internet and in car breakers.

Just now, Milkman said:

Claim off your insurance and get another unit fitted, there's plenty on the internet and in car breakers.

That'd probably cost more than buying a second hand unit though. With the excess and increased premiums.

• Like 2

I'm surprised pound coins fit in the CD slot, would've assumed they'd be too thick!  Have found plenty in the bottom of heater boxes though, why do kids enjoy posting them though any slot they can find? :unsure:   I found one under a matrix once, someone had rammed the new matrix in so hard it cracked the HVAC box casing instead of checking for any debris in the bottom. :laugh: 

14 hours ago, alexp999 said:

That'd probably cost more than buying a second hand unit though. With the excess and increased premiums.

If you don't ask you don't know.

Things you find when you purchase a s/h car, I feel another topic coming on!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club