Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Android SD Card Issue

TomsFocus

I posted this in the don't like thread a few weeks ago but still haven't found a fix.  Have barely taken any pics over lockdown so hasn't been an issue but want to sort it now.

After a recent system update, the 'Photos' app doesn't have permissions to access the SD card...so I can take photos and store them on the SD card with the camera, but then can't delete or edit any of the photos through the phone at ll.

I've tried a few fixes I found online, trying to reset permissions in apps etc, but nothing has worked so far.

So, question is, if I pull all of the photos from the card and onto the laptop today, how can I make the phone think it's getting a new SD card, so it's forced to ask for all of the permissions again?  I'm hoping there's one hidden somewhere that I've been unable to find.

Cheers,

Tom

Which photo app are you using, is it a stock android app?

What phone and what OS are you running?

You could try removing the the pics like you said and then reformat the card.

It's a Motorola One, latest update was Android 10.

Photo app is either stock Android or stock Motorola, I haven't changed it from new lol.

Try deleting the "Photos" app, or removing updates from it. It'll be in app settings somewhere. I had the same issue last year with my Huawei P10, I removed updates from Gallery and cleared it's storage, cache, etc. Then re-launched Gallery and it re-populated correctly showing SD card DCIM and allowing movement between phone and SD card storage.

Screenshot_20200603_135402_com.android.settings.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, The_Imaginative_Lad said:

Try deleting the "Photos" app, or removing updates from it. It'll be in app settings somewhere. I had the same issue last year with my Huawei P10, I removed updates from Gallery and cleared it's storage, cache, etc. Then re-launched Gallery and it re-populated correctly showing SD card DCIM and allowing movement between phone and SD card storage.

Screenshot_20200603_135402_com.android.settings.jpg

Thanks!  It does seem to be a common issue but none of the solutions I've found online have worked so far.  It won't let me delete the photos app but I'm now trying find out how to remove updates!

Finally fixed!! :biggrin:

Removed updates, cleared storage & cache.  Reinstalled updates.  Took a photo and tried to delete it - that gave me the option to allow or deny access to the SD card. :smile:

• Like 2

Hmm, not quite as fixed as it thought! 

I can now delete stuff, but I can't save editted images...any ideas? :unsure:

After you edit a picture what options do you have? Can you screen shot a picture that you have edited and show us?

2 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

After you edit a picture what options do you have? Can you screen shot a picture that you have edited and show us?

I just hit 'save'...but it fails to save and shows the message below:

Screenshot_20200603-200025.thumb.png.d79e3be605ab2869c0e1802781df98a8.png

Interestingly, it will save an editted image from Google Photos online storage, one that I deleted from the SD card earlier.  Just not the photos I've taken since...but I can delete those photos. :unsure:

If you turn off Google photo storage temporarily and try to edit and save then, will that work?

14 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

If you turn off Google photo storage temporarily and try to edit and save then, will that work?

I can't work out how to do that?

I think the photos app is actually Google now rather than Android or Motorola.

Edit - Looks like another common issue!  You'd think Google could make an app that works lol!

https://support.google.com/photos/thread/47959695?hl=en

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club