Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Field service action

SaraMarie

Collecting my mk4 Focus st line x on Saturday, just out of curiosity checked the ford etis site and the car is showing as having a service action of 19S50-PCM Wiring Chafe outstanding. Has anyone else had this done? Going to call the dealer tomorrow to see if they can do it before I collect it,  if not will have to speak with my local dealer once I have the car 

Happy New Car 😃🚙

11 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Happy New Car 😃🚙

Well it would be if the wiring wasn't likely to burst into flames on their driveway... :unsure:

I haven't heard of this recall though, so not sure what's involved and if they'd need to wait for any parts to be delivered.  Hopefully someone else knows.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Happy New Car 😃🚙

Thank you! 

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Well it would be if the wiring wasn't likely to burst into flames on their driveway... :unsure:

I haven't heard of this recall though, so not sure what's involved and if they'd need to wait for any parts to be delivered.  Hopefully someone else knows.

Haha hopefully won't do that!!

Thank you! Hopefully the dealer will know when I call,  might just push the collection date back a little I suppose but better to be safe! 

19S50 - service INSTRUCTION
Date Published: 05/05/20
SUMMARY

A number of Focus vehicles fitted with automatic transmissions may suffer a chafe condition between a transmission stud and engine wiring loom. 

PARTS REQUIRED
Description Part Number Finis Qty
Bolt W500215-S442 1499222 1
2.0L EcoBlue Wire Kit KTJX6T-14B558-AA 2428478 1
1.5L Dragon Wire Kit KTJX7T -14B558-AA 2418028 1
Engine Wiring Harness JX6T-12C508-CDD 2354539 As Required
Engine Wiring Harness JX7T-12C508-BMC 2351976 As Required
Solder/shrink connector Locally Procured   As Required
PARTS SUPPLY

Parts should be obtained locally.

Check Engine Wiring Harness for Damage
  1. Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Focus 2019 Workshop Manual Section 100-02.

1. Remove left-hand side front wheel.

1. Remove the front left-hand side fender splash shield. For additional information, refer to Focus 2019 Workshop Manual Section 501-02.

E293489

1. Check for damaged wires on the engine wiring harness in the area of the stud on the 8-Speed Automatic Transmission.

Image 1 shows 1.5L Dragon and image 2 shows 2.0L EcoBlue

1. If no damage is found, please proceed to step 16 for 2.0L EcoBlue or step 19 for Dragon 1.5L .
    1. If one or two damaged wires are found, repair the wiring. Proceed to step 5. 
    1. If the number of wires damaged is greater than 2, or completely cut through, or the single wire is part of a twisted pair or twisted triple, a new engine wiring harness should be installed. For additional information, refer to Focus 2019 Workshop Manual Section 418-02. 

E301688

Engine Wiring Harness - Repair Only

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

E281174

1. Remove the engine undershield (If equipped).

E271149

1. Remove the PCM cover (Vehicles without Powertrain Control Module (PCM) security shield).

E272172

1. Remove the PCM cover (Vehicles with Powertrain Control Module (PCM) security shield).

E272173

1. Disconnect the electrical connectors and unclip the wiring harness. 

E298908

1. Unclip the wiring harness from the bracket attached to the main control cover.

1. Cut the tie strap and leave the retainer in the bracket to allow the harness to drop down.
    1. Route the wiring harness down out of the engine compartment.
    1. Remove and discard the high abrasion resistant spot tapes located under the retainers.

E301689

1. CAUTION:

cautionNOTICE: No splices to be placed in the area shown in red as this is the dynamic portion of the wiring harness.

Locate and repair the damaged wire(s).

1. Dynamic portion of the wiring harness 300mm or more from the vehicle inline break out.
    1. 2.0L EcoBlue - Push mesh sleeve back to remaining transmission retainer and secure with tape to keep out of the repair area.
    1. 1.5L Dragon - Remove high abrasion resistance tape.
    1. Remove and discard the taped insulation.
    1. Locate the damaged wiring and solder/crimp the first solder/shrink connector with repair wiring (see General Equipment) in reference to TSB 16-1010.

E301691

1. Splice the repair wire to the wire coming from the PCM side to complete the circuit (in reference to TSB 16-1010).

1. Second solder/shrink connector.
    1. Repair wire spliced in.

E301690

1. Repeat the steps above for a further damaged single wiring (Maximum 2 wires).

1. Secure wire(s) with tape to hold in position.

1. Route repaired wiring in the dynamic portion of the wiring harness.

1. Coil wire to help locate the splice 300 mm or more from the vehicle inline break out and secure with tape to hold in position.
    1. Coil wire to help locate the splice 50 mm or less from the vehicle inline break out and secure with tape to hold in position.
      • Remove securing tape, close impacted branch by the supplied flexible cloth wrap (see Parts Required).
      • Re-tape the repair area using High temperature tape (see Parts Required). Make sure that the splice and associated wire is completely covered with tape.

E301692

2.0L EcoBlue Only

1. NOTE: Proceed to step 17 if the wiring harness does NOT require repair or replacement.

Install the wiring harness back to the transmission bracket and make sure the harness is completely straight in the area along the front of the transmission bracket.

1. Apply three full turns of tape (see Parts Required - 2.0L EcoBlue Wire Kit) where the wiring harness aligns with the transmission retainer.

1. Ensure the harness is completely straight along the front of the bracket.
    1. Secure wiring harness with a cable tie (see Parts Required - 2.0L EcoBlue Wire Kit) through the retainer. Make sure that cable tie is tightened properly.
    1. Location of the retainer.

E302531

1. Install new clip (see Parts Required - 2.0L EcoBlue Wire Kit) on the wiring harness.

1. Vehicle inline branch pointing upwards. Vehicle inline branch should be pointing towards the PCM bracket/front of vehicle.
    1. Vehicle inline branch.
    1. Apply three full turns of tape (see Parts Required - 2.0L EcoBlue Wire Kit) central to location of the new clip, 235 mm to the right of the retainer.
    1. Install new clip (see Parts Required - 2.0L EcoBlue Wire Kit). Align and secure retainers as shown.

E308693

1.5L Dragon Only

1. NOTE: Position and orientation of clips.

1. Add three spot tapes (see Parts Required – 1.5L Dragon Wire Kit) over the flexible cloth wrap (three turns): Two tapes to fix the flexible cloth wrap to the wiring harness and one to close the flexible cloth wrap centre.
    1. Install new clips (see Parts Required – 1.5L Dragon Wire Kit) as shown. Splices are positioned in a way that they aren't under any clip located.

E303411

1. Install the wiring harness to a revised location on the PCM bracket.

1. Old fixing position.
    1. New fixing position.

E303410

All Vehicles

1. Replace transmission stud bolt on the 8-Speed Automatic Transmission by M6x25 bolt (see Parts Required).

1. Remove and discard stud bolt.
    1. Torque: 12 Nm.

E303409

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Gaz0000000 said:
19S50 - SERVICE INSTRUCTION
SUMMARY

A number of Focus vehicles fitted with automatic transmissions may suffer a chafe condition between a transmission stud and engine wiring loom. 

PARTS REQUIRED
Description Part Number Finis Qty
Bolt W500215-S442 1499222 1
2.0L EcoBlue Wire Kit KTJX6T-14B558-AA 2428478 1
1.5L Dragon Wire Kit KTJX7T -14B558-AA 2418028 1
Engine Wiring Harness JX6T-12C508-CDD 2354539 As Required
Engine Wiring Harness JX7T-12C508-BMC 2351976 As Required
Solder/shrink connector Locally Procured   As Required
PARTS SUPPLY

Parts should be obtained locally.

Check Engine Wiring Harness for Damage
  1. Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Focus 2019 Workshop Manual Section 100-02.

1. Remove left-hand side front wheel.

1. Remove the front left-hand side fender splash shield. For additional information, refer to Focus 2019 Workshop Manual Section 501-02.

E293489

1. Check for damaged wires on the engine wiring harness in the area of the stud on the 8-Speed Automatic Transmission.

Image 1 shows 1.5L Dragon and image 2 shows 2.0L EcoBlue

1. If no damage is found, please proceed to step 16 for 2.0L EcoBlue or step 19 for Dragon 1.5L .
    1. If one or two damaged wires are found, repair the wiring. Proceed to step 5. 
    1. If the number of wires damaged is greater than 2, or completely cut through, or the single wire is part of a twisted pair or twisted triple, a new engine wiring harness should be installed. For additional information, refer to Focus 2019 Workshop Manual Section 418-02. 

E301688

Engine Wiring Harness - Repair Only

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

E281174

1. Remove the engine undershield (If equipped).

E271149

1. Remove the PCM cover (Vehicles without Powertrain Control Module (PCM) security shield).

E272172

1. Remove the PCM cover (Vehicles with Powertrain Control Module (PCM) security shield).

E272173

1. Disconnect the electrical connectors and unclip the wiring harness. 

E298908

1. Unclip the wiring harness from the bracket attached to the main control cover.

1. Cut the tie strap and leave the retainer in the bracket to allow the harness to drop down.
    1. Route the wiring harness down out of the engine compartment.
    1. Remove and discard the high abrasion resistant spot tapes located under the retainers.

E301689

1. CAUTION:

cautionNOTICE: No splices to be placed in the area shown in red as this is the dynamic portion of the wiring harness.

Locate and repair the damaged wire(s).

1. Dynamic portion of the wiring harness 300mm or more from the vehicle inline break out.
    1. 2.0L EcoBlue - Push mesh sleeve back to remaining transmission retainer and secure with tape to keep out of the repair area.
    1. 1.5L Dragon - Remove high abrasion resistance tape.
    1. Remove and discard the taped insulation.
    1. Locate the damaged wiring and solder/crimp the first solder/shrink connector with repair wiring (see General Equipment) in reference to TSB 16-1010.

E301691

1. Splice the repair wire to the wire coming from the PCM side to complete the circuit (in reference to TSB 16-1010).

1. Repair wire spliced in.

E301690

1. Repeat the steps above for a further damaged single wiring (Maximum 2 wires).

1. Secure wire(s) with tape to hold in position.

1. Route repaired wiring in the dynamic portion of the wiring harness.

1. Coil wire to help locate the splice 300 mm or more from the vehicle inline break out and secure with tape to hold in position.
    1. Coil wire to help locate the splice 50 mm or less from the vehicle inline break out and secure with tape to hold in position.
      • Remove securing tape, close impacted branch by the supplied flexible cloth wrap (see Parts Required).
      • Re-tape the repair area using High temperature tape (see Parts Required). Make sure that the splice and associated wire is completely covered with tape.

E301692

2.0L EcoBlue Only

1. NOTE: Proceed to step 17 if the wiring harness does NOT require repair or replacement.

Install the wiring harness back to the transmission bracket and make sure the harness is completely straight in the area along the front of the transmission bracket.

1. Apply three full turns of tape (see Parts Required - 2.0L EcoBlue Wire Kit) where the wiring harness aligns with the transmission retainer.

1. Ensure the harness is completely straight along the front of the bracket.
    1. Secure wiring harness with a cable tie (see Parts Required - 2.0L EcoBlue Wire Kit) through the retainer. Make sure that cable tie is tightened properly.
    1. Location of the retainer.

E302531

1. Install new clip (see Parts Required - 2.0L EcoBlue Wire Kit) on the wiring harness.

1. Vehicle inline branch pointing upwards. Vehicle inline branch should be pointing towards the PCM bracket/front of vehicle.
    1. Vehicle inline branch.
    1. Apply three full turns of tape (see Parts Required - 2.0L EcoBlue Wire Kit) central to location of the new clip, 235 mm to the right of the retainer.
    1. Install new clip (see Parts Required - 2.0L EcoBlue Wire Kit). Align and secure retainers as shown.

E308693

1.5L Dragon Only

1. NOTE: Position and orientation of clips.

1. Add three spot tapes (see Parts Required – 1.5L Dragon Wire Kit) over the flexible cloth wrap (three turns): Two tapes to fix the flexible cloth wrap to the wiring harness and one to close the flexible cloth wrap centre.
    1. Install new clips (see Parts Required – 1.5L Dragon Wire Kit) as shown. Splices are positioned in a way that they aren't under any clip located.

E303411

1. Install the wiring harness to a revised location on the PCM bracket.

1. Old fixing position.
    1. New fixing position.

E303410

All Vehicles

1. Replace transmission stud bolt on the 8-Speed Automatic Transmission by M6x25 bolt (see Parts Required).

1. Remove and discard stud bolt.
    1. Torque: 12 Nm.

E303409

Thank you for that! Hopefully they'll be able to check it out and clarify which of the above is required before I collect it 🙏

• Like 1

I’ve got a mk4 Dragon 1.5l Automatic , is this a recall? 

first I’ve heard of this! 

11 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Put your reg in to the Ford Etis site, it will tell you if yours has any outstanding field service actions.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Thats the same as what I'm collecting! The dealer has called today to say their servicing department have been notified and had also noticed it this morning on their system too so the work will be carried out today ready for collection Saturday still 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SaraMarie said:

Thats the same as what I'm collecting! The dealer has called today to say their servicing department have been notified and had also noticed it this morning on their system too so the work will be carried out today ready for collection Saturday still 

You won’t be disappointed! Had mine 8 months , still puts a smile on my face! 😃

• Like 1

78772227-41DF-4A0B-9F5A-580D71F480AC.thumb.jpeg.782f35f1c976f9aed98d6ba29fe69e4d.jpegIs it every mk4 1.5 dragon and 2l diesel? 

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

78772227-41DF-4A0B-9F5A-580D71F480AC.thumb.jpeg.782f35f1c976f9aed98d6ba29fe69e4d.jpegIs it every mk4 1.5 dragon and 2l diesel? 

19S50 - service INSTRUCTION
SUMMARY

A number of Focus vehicles fitted with automatic transmissions may suffer a chafe condition between a transmission stud and engine wiring loom. 

As you can see from above the recall appears to be for the 1.5 dragon 8 speed auto.

My vehicle falls into that category and I have had that recall notification.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PLB said:

My vehicle falls into that category and I have had that recall notification.

Looks like mines in that category too.

But I’ve not had a recall notification.

was the notification on your app? Or contact from your dealership? 

does Ford Etis say yours is due the recall?

I checked mine on etis and it doesnt log a recall.  Mine is a year old now so maybe a different batch

Mines registered September 2019

26 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Mines registered September 2019

Mine April 19 so might have upgraded/ altered it on yours 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaraMarie said:

Mine April 19 so might have upgraded/ altered it on yours 👍

Your getting a 1.5l focus pre May 2019 ? 

Ford discontinued their highly praised Multi link suspension on most of the range last May. 
I missed out by 4 months. ☹️

I’m jealous! 

re the recall , I think your probably right there. 👍

36 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Your getting a 1.5l focus pre May 2019 ? 

Ford discontinued their highly praised Multi link suspension on most of the range last May. 
I missed out by 4 months. ☹️

I’m jealous! 

re the recall , I think your probably right there. 👍

I didn't even know that! Thanks for the info 👍 

Can't wait to collect it😁

Mine was built may 2019, factory order with options.  It's a pity they don't show the VIN ranges that are affected, most manufacturers do.

Are you getting the 182 auto?  Good engine, needs 3 or 4000 miles to loosen up nicely though.

11 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Mine was built may 2019, factory order with options.  It's a pity they don't show the VIN ranges that are affected, most manufacturers do.

Are you getting the 182 auto?  Good engine, needs 3 or 4000 miles to loosen up nicely though.

Yours must have just missed it too then, yeah definitely 👍

Yeah the 182 auto in diffused silver not seen many in that colour around I liked the ruby red and blue originally but so hard to find one with everything on plus the colour, the dealer said its on 2,980 miles at min. 

8 minutes ago, SaraMarie said:

one with everything on

What extras has it got?  The blue paint alone cost me a few quid! Ideally I’d have got the full LED, the B&O stereo, the HUD and the blind spot tech. 
maybe the adaptive cruise control 

7 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

What extras has it got?  The blue paint alone cost me a few quid! Ideally I’d have got the full LED, the B&O stereo, the HUD and the blind spot tech. 
maybe the adaptive cruise control 

Literally everything I could think of I was so lucky to find it❤ 

B and O, hud , led lights, heated steering wheel, blind spot, adaptive cruise, reverse cam, pan roof honestly don't know what it hasn't got tbh! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaraMarie said:

Literally everything I could think of I was so lucky to find it❤ 

B and O, hud , led lights, heated steering wheel, blind spot, adaptive cruise, reverse cam, pan roof honestly don't know what it hasn't got tbh! 

😂 awesome 

5k of extras 

enjoy 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SaraMarie said:

Yours must have just missed it too then, yeah definitely 👍

Yeah the 182 auto in diffused silver not seen many in that colour around I liked the ruby red and blue originally but so hard to find one with everything on plus the colour, the dealer said its on 2,980 miles at min. 

Cause of the circumstances with the virus, are you buying this before driving it? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club