Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo TDCI 2.0, "engine malfunction", loss of power.

Sp8eu

I have a 2010 titanium x tdci 2.0L mondeo, duratorq engine, 163bhp. Engine malfunction light was intermittent a few months back, now it seems to be constant, it runs fine and accelerates, no smoke, no hissing, but the power just isn't there, like turbo not kicking in. Any ideas? Do I need to do diagnostic, can I diy or do I have to take it to a garage? Thx for any advice. The egr valve looks like a real pain to get on this engine if it's that, which is my current train of thought. What sort of cost might be involved on all cases? Speculation I know!

Well, depends if you're awash with dosh or not. ☺️  You can pay £60 +vat for a garage to read your car's codes once, or buy your own code reader for <£20 and you can read and clear your codes as often as you want! But you're gonna need those codes if you want help in finding what ails your mota. I can only recommend one from Tunnelrat electronics (Google them) and you'll need a free download of forscan to a Windows laptop... they also  do an Android version, but maybe someone else here can advise you 'cos mine is a Windows version. 

• 2 weeks later...

OK, a neighbour has a ODB2, gives me the error code: #P2263 . Kind of helpful, but not.

Jacked up car and had a look at the DPF pressure hoses. Look in good shape.

With the duratorq it looks like the erg is in a righ awkward place to take out (if it's that), is it possible to attempt to clear with carboretta cleaner without taking the engine apart and draining stuff out? 

I have also seen videos on youtube about the turbo actuator sticking, though not sure where to find that in this engine. I have had a rouch "fell" check of the 2" hose at the front of the engine (assuming this goes into the erg ??) and doesn't feel split.

Another thing (might be related) I do have a oil warning message, though dipstick is about 1/4 way up from minimum - but was planning on getting a service done on the MOT in Oct and just topping up oil...but I'm thinking: Why is the oil low?

Could it be a sensor? Anything I can check with a volt meter?

Am I on the right lines at all as to what to look for? Common issues? Any advice welcome as unfortunately I don't currently have the funds really to have a costly garage visit.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Thanks, I'll try and take a look, however, a little unsure how I can find where the actuator is for the turbo on my model. Any ideas where I might be able to find one? It's a 2010, 2.0 TDCI Titanium X duratorq engine.
Initially mine seemed intermittent, but now seems to be constant and after resetting error, as soon as I accelerate up to to a point where the turbo would kick in, the engine malfunction light pops on again.

Little update: erg on my engine is not easy to get to, being a duratorq. Purchased some normfest dc980 air intake cleaner which should clean erg and turbo. Used obd2 to clear error and no warning light. However still lack of power. Interestingly, after a longish drive the dash messages say engine makfunction, but still no engine warning light and obd2 device using torque life says no error codes. Th wanna for additive is still in in the fuel so if that's the issue is hope that will be clearing.

Any ideas? Would another dose of dc980 help perhaps? I'm heading towards it being carboned up. Am I expecting too much, too soon?

When stationary, if about 2.5k revs i'm sure I can hear the whizz of the turbo.

Not all readers can be depended upon to get the error codes, buy yourself a Tunnelrat one* and use Forscan to be absolutely certain. Did you ask on the forum I suggested earlier? 

*under £20, and worth every penny. 

Thanks for your input - problem solved. For anyone else who might have this problem: One of the vacuum hoses for some reason had popped off, from one side it's obvious, from the other not so. I've added some photos of the obvious side, when you see it, it's like a slap in the face! It's on the right side of the engine near the air filter box.

20200628_095553.jpg

20200628_095516.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club