Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 4 1.6 Ecoboost "engine malfunction"

Pokelet

Hi all

Interesting one. After pulling off the drive the other day 'Engine Malfunction' pops up on the Convers+ display. However NO engine management light illuminated. 

Plugged a code reader in, no codes, went though the secret menu - no codes. Also checked that the engine management light does work.

I've had a good look under the bonnet, all the levels are fine, nothing obviously loose, flapping about or dropped off. Disconnected the battery as well.

Turn the ignition on - Engine Malfunction

Anyone got any ideas? 2011 1.6 Ecoboost petrol.

Cheers

I've heard the coolant level can cause this if on min or lower. But you say that's checked. It could be the water pump... check if any mountings are cracked or broken. Also check the connections are home on the Throttle Body because if too much resistance then the ECU will produce this message.

I'd maybe check with Forscan to make sure it's not triggered a code that can't be read by a regular obd2 scanner. Otherwise it might have 'reset' the error when you turned your engine off.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I bought a 1.6 ecoboost 2yrs ago 2 weeks my car lost all power on a roundabout 😫... all warning lights came on dash and engine malfunction, I did manage to start it for literally a few minutes and engine fans came on, and car lost power again.

I had the car towed to fordthorne, who have had the car for 2 weeks, they have no idea what the problem can be, they cant run a diagnostic as there is no power, they have dropped the fuel tank & checked fuel pump & sensors, which are fine, all the levels ie:- coolant are all fine. But they are completely baffled and still cannot start engine.... has anyone else had this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Maz 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies - bumping this one again.

"Engine Malfunction" - nothing else - no codes, nothing. Car drives fine, revs smoothly, breaks are fine, oil level is fine, coolant is fine (its loosing some but hey-ho, its coming up for 10 years and has 104k on the clock), its not over heating - as @Morrismen has pointed out it might be the water pump but I can't see any leaks. I've also unplugged and re-plugged in every connector I could get my hands on - some had been cable tied together to stop them creeping out - I've replaced all the ties. The only thing I noticed was this 'thing' that was once upon a time taped on to the loom below where it was connected. It was flapping around loose and I've now re-secured it with a cable tie. Anyone got any ideas what it is?

Cheers

IMG_20201129_154521341.jpg

IMG_20201129_154414304 sml.jpg

IMG_20201129_154455396 sml.jpg

IMG_20201129_154422312 sml.jpg

• 1 month later...

On 6/6/2020 at 9:33 PM, Pokelet said:

Hi all

Interesting one. After pulling off the drive the other day 'Engine Malfunction' pops up on the Convers+ display. However NO engine management light illuminated. 

Plugged a code reader in, no codes, went though the secret menu - no codes. Also checked that the engine management light does work.

I've had a good look under the bonnet, all the levels are fine, nothing obviously loose, flapping about or dropped off. Disconnected the battery as well.

Turn the ignition on - Engine Malfunction

Anyone got any ideas? 2011 1.6 Ecoboost petrol.

Cheers

Same thing happened today to me. Did you get to the bottom of it?