Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do I have a clutch issue?

Batman91

Hey everyone,

I've been viewing this forum over the past year but only joined now! I've never been able to see an answer to my question so I've decided to join to ask it myself.

Basically since I purchased my Focus in January 2019 the clutch pedal has always been very soft in it. As in it goes down quite easily and feels as if there is no resistance.

It's my first time having a Ford, even though I've had it a year and 5 months I'm still wondering if I have a clutch issue that's just waiting to happen.

I realise that may be a stupid question but it's due the NCT(MOT) now and I dont want to put money into the car as it's a 2005 if the clutch is going to go any time soon. I'm thinking I'm probably just comparing it to other cars I've had but is this just the way clutch pedals are in Fords? Thanks everyone. 

Do you have any service history with the car?  Sounds like it's had a new clutch recently.  Clutches get heavier and stiffer as they age, not lighter.

Clutch weight is also different between different engines.  Generally, the more torque the engine has, the heavier the clutch will be, so if you're comparing it to a big old diesel engine, it should be lighter on a 1.6 petrol.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Do you have any service history with the car?  Sounds like it's had a new clutch recently.  Clutches get heavier and stiffer as they age, not lighter.

Clutch weight is also different between different engines.  Generally, the more torque the engine has, the heavier the clutch will be, so if you're comparing it to a big old diesel engine, it should be lighter on a 1.6 petrol.

Well I'm glad to hear that then! There was no service history with the car when I got it. The person I bought it off had it lying up and extremely dirty inside and out. Took me a full day of cleaning it but the difference after it was done!

I'm happy to go ahead now and bring it for the test and see what it needs. I didn't wanna have to put a clutch into the car because of the age of it and the price it costs to have it done. Now all I have to do is fix my boot leak and I'm happy again with the car 😂 thanks Tom!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Batman91 said:

... Now all I have to do is fix my boot leak and I'm happy again with the car 😂 thanks Tom!

Plenty of advice on how to tackle that boot leak on here, Ford never paid much attention on how to make them watertight by design!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Plenty of advice on how to tackle that boot leak on here, Ford never paid much attention on how to make them watertight by design!

I'll have to have a search and find the advice! I assumed mine was probably to do with the rear headlights in my car as I sourced the leak to around there. Just about an hour ago I sealed the light screws with silicone so I'll have a look on here and see what else I can do! Car was left lying up for a few months and it's got mould on the boot carpet and on the rear seat belts so I'm gonna try to make sure I seal it properly 🙈

This is my thread on my leak, 101 types of leak, but you may get lucky...

48 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Going on now for a read. Thank you Stephen really appreciate it and hopefully it gets sorted 🙈

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Agree^

The clutch in my 1.8 petrol Focus seems about average for how heavy it is. It’s A bit Heavier than some of the small engined pool cars I’ve driven at work, but lighter than the one in my old BMW 320d was for example. Although I never found that particularly too heavy. 

• Like 1

Agree^

The clutch in my 1.8 petrol Focus seems about average for how heavy it is. It’s A bit Heavier than some of the small engined pool cars I’ve driven at work, but lighter than the one in my old BMW 320d was for example. Although I never found that particularly too heavy. 
When I bought the car I did ask him if the car was having issues as the car I drove before it the clutch seemed a good bit heavier. I was using the Focus up until November so I used it for 11 months and then just bought a cheap Renault Megane for a little run around and planned on selling the Focus on.

The megane clutch has a lot more resistance than the Focus and the Megane is only a 1.4 litre so it just made me still wonder if the clutch was actually going in the Focus or not.

Stephen I forgot I took this picture. This is of the drivers side rear lights. When I took them off before I sealed them I noticed this seal was ripped and pointing up in the car. Would you say this is how the water was leaking in? f0b71e9992c42fc7b7968baff9a07d10.jpg

Honestly bud, it could be , it may not. The only way of really knowing is to seal it (as you have done), and wait for it to rain. (unless you fancy sitting inside your boot whilst someones aims a hose at it LOL) As you've seen, there are many potential ways water can find it's way inside your car...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Batman91 said:

When I bought the car I did ask him if the car was having issues as the car I drove before it the clutch seemed a good bit heavier. I was using the Focus up until November so I used it for 11 months and then just bought a cheap Renault Megane for a little run around and planned on selling the Focus on.

The megane clutch has a lot more resistance than the Focus and the Megane is only a 1.4 litre so it just made me still wonder if the clutch was actually going in the Focus or not.

The Mégane probably uses a cable clutch instead of a hydraulic one if it's an older model?

• Like 1

The Mégane probably uses a cable clutch instead of a hydraulic one if it's an older model?
The Megane is a 2005. Same year as my Focus. I didn't know the focus used a Hydraulic clutch [emoji85] thought it was a cable also [emoji23]
  • Like 1

Honestly bud, it could be , it may not. The only way of really knowing is to seal it (as you have done), and wait for it to rain. (unless you fancy sitting inside your boot whilst someones aims a hose at it LOL) As you've seen, there are many potential ways water can find it's way inside your car...
The inside of it was still wet today as I power washed the around the boot but not inside it yesterday. I'll give it a week or 2 and see how it goes. I'm hoping the sealing I've done fixed it anyway [emoji85]

11 minutes ago, Batman91 said:

The Megane is a 2005. Same year as my Focus. I didn't know the focus used a Hydraulic clutch emoji85.png thought it was a cable also emoji23.png

Lol, even the MK1 Focus used a hydraulic clutch!  

The French seemed to favour those horrible cables well into the 2000s though...  :laugh:

• Like 1

Lol, even the MK1 Focus used a hydraulic clutch!  
The French seemed to favour those horrible cables well into the 2000s though...  laugh.png

Damn French [emoji23][emoji23] maybe that's why it feels so light to me then. Because this is the first car I've owned that has had a hydraulic clutch in it! I've owned it since January 2019 and I'm realizing that now [emoji85] mind you it's parked up since November sincr I've been using the Megane.
  • Haha 1

Just now, Batman91 said:

Damn French emoji23.pngemoji23.png maybe that's why it feels so light to me then. Because this is the first car I've owned that has had a hydraulic clutch in it! I've owned it since January 2019 and I'm realizing that now emoji85.png mind you it's parked up since November sincr I've been using the Megane.

Probably! :laugh:

I haven't driven a Mégane in fairness, but had more than my fair share of old Peugeot's with cable clutches...the cable in the 306 was draped over the exhaust for the RHD models meaning it almost instantly dried out and felt awful! :lol:

• Like 1

Probably! laugh.png
I haven't driven a Mégane in fairness, but had more than my fair share of old Peugeot's with cable clutches...the cable in the 306 was draped over the exhaust for the RHD models meaning it almost instantly dried out and felt awful! lol.gif

Yeah I had a 307 and only had it about 2 months then the clutch went in it. Said I wouldn't go back near a Peugeot again [emoji85]. Yeah having checked all the cars I've previously owned it would seem as though this is definitely my first hydraulic clutch which would explain why it's so soft. There was me driving it for months thinking it was about to go [emoji23]
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club