Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Ramps????

sonic113

Hope everyone is keeping well, for years been using the trolley jack and axel stands but recently was thinking about adding a set of ramps to the inventory. 

Something quick to pop car up on to work underside or even then if needed roll the jack/ stands under to remove a wheel ect

There are so many types and styles, I'm looking something solid and wide enough for the tyre to sit nicely.

Any recommendations or links?

Thanks

I never found ramps successful.  Low ride height and deep bumpers mean they scuff the bumper before raising the car  They also slip unless you can hold them down somehow.

• Like 2

I've got ramps but yes found modern cars too low so I've got what you might call ramps for the ramps, to lessen the angle.

• Like 2

Same here, I always found them small for low cars but think they may be useful now for quick checks ect rather than pulling out the trolley jack.

Not sure how those plastics ones would last , especially in the hot sun? Any one experience with these?

Was thinking about welding a set up from box section/angle iron but the cost probably about the same as buying a premade set.

If you've the funds and space I've found scissor lifts are a far better option, especially as they distribute the load over a larger area and leave the wheels free. Can be a pain for some types of work but they do work out better, and I've used them with axle stands where needed to ensure safety but I'm sure you could use ramps under the wheels to similar effect,

• Like 1

The theory of the ramps sounds good but they are difficult to use. Decent trolley jack and axle stands have proved much more use. About 30 years ago I bought a decent trolley jack, axle stands and ramps all at same time. Ramps hardly been used as I quickly found they are not easy to use. I love my trolley jack . If you have somewhere to keep it (garage) it’s luxury having one with the handle permanently fixed on which you twist to open and close valve. Money well spent .

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sonic113 said:

Same here, I always found them small for low cars but think they may be useful now for quick checks ect rather than pulling out the trolley jack.

Not sure how those plastics ones would last , especially in the hot sun? Any one experience with these?

Was thinking about welding a set up from box section/angle iron but the cost probably about the same as buying a premade set.

I've got a lift and tilt.Expensive over £400 new i bought secondhand.Wouldn't be without now.Changed oil yesterday the front was off the ground in 5 minutes with wheels off something you can't do with ramps.👍

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, williamweb said:

I've got a lift and tilt.Expensive over £400 new i bought secondhand

OK, I'll bite - I've never heard of 'lift & tilt' - what are they? A photo maybe?

• Like 1

I also found getting an auto onto ramps was harder than a manual.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

OK, I'll bite - I've never heard of 'lift & tilt' - what are they? A photo maybe?

It's a variant on the scissor lift I mentioned previously, here's an example:

https://cjautosheywood.co.uk/product/3in1-tilting-adjustable-car-lift-1-5-ton-cl01/ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

gives you an idea what they are👍

36DA35DB-2F66-4E81-B08E-40D4AD011229.jpeg

6566232A-77B5-4B00-9FED-0F25EB887CDF.jpeg

• Like 2

For anyone interested this is what I've used previously at a friends garage for his rally car, you do need the roof space for the vehicle being raised but it's a nifty bit of kit, especially being able to get a vehicle up quick.

https://www.quickjacklift.co.uk/car-lift-systems/bl-5000slx-portable-car-lift.html

• Like 1

thanks all for the response. 

those 'lift & tilt' versions look a great job. i might actually hold off for a while and look into getting one of these instead funds depending.

thanks again

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sonic113 said:

thanks all for the response. 

those 'lift & tilt' versions look a great job. i might actually hold off for a while and look into getting one of these instead funds depending.

thanks again

Hi Sonic.  Sorry I'm late to the party.

I bought a set of ramps for the very reasons you mention and they are so much less hassle.  I did some research and settled on these.  I do still pop the axle stands  loosely under the sills as a precaution but they've been great.  It was similar to these:- 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DURHAND-Plastic-Workshop-Automotive-Portable/dp/B07MBXRSXV/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=high+grade+plastic+car+ramps&qid=1592171799&sr=8-1

They don't scuff the bumper, and they don't move when driving up them.

• Like 2

I've always used car ramps on all my oil changes never had a problem and they are 15yrs old paddy hopkirk brand. Have upgraded them this yr for Halfords own brand ramps due to them been better for wider wheels plus i had a gift voucher i had to use 😉 . To stop the lower trim catching on the ramps as you drive car up ramps i've always used 2 bits of wood decking at the bottom of the ramp and never had a problem.

• Like 1

That lift and tilt looks terrifying!  😀

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

That's  on the highest setting and believe it or not is stable.I normally only use the lowest setting which is adequate for most jobs with axle stands under the seams as a precaution👍 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

I thought that too, but was afraid if I voiced my opinion, you'd all call me a woose! LOL 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, williamweb said:

That's  on the highest setting and believe it or not is stable.I normally only use the lowest setting which is adequate for most jobs with axle stands under the seams as a precaution👍 

Is there a mechanical ratchet inside?  I wouldn't trust a hydraulic ram to hold a car that high even if I wasn't going under it! 😮 

There is a safety pin to hold the strut similar to that of an axle stand👍

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, williamweb said:

There is a safety pin to hold the strut similar to that of an axle stand👍

Ah that's alright then. :smile:

On 6/14/2020 at 10:58 PM, Albert27 said:

Hi Sonic.  Sorry I'm late to the party.

I bought a set of ramps for the very reasons you mention and they are so much less hassle.  I did some research and settled on these.  I do still pop the axle stands  loosely under the sills as a precaution but they've been great.  It was similar to these:- 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DURHAND-Plastic-Workshop-Automotive-Portable/dp/B07MBXRSXV/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=high+grade+plastic+car+ramps&qid=1592171799&sr=8-1

They don't scuff the bumper, and they don't move when driving up them.

These sound good but I'm not sure about plastic to be honest. A friend had a set of those rhino plastic ones and they broke after a few uses. Could be a one of though.

I have thought more about this and think I may keep it simple and build a custom wooden set like these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4_0IJDB0Ig

If these where made right I think they be the job. Will get some thoughts and it be a August project as I'm currently busy at moment with other stuff.

Please let me know your thoughts.

• Like 1

I might have missed a previous suggestion but I use caravan levelling ramps like these (clicky click)

I use it mainly to raise the car up to enable the trolley jack to fit under without it catching the side skirt, or having to lift the car by hand from the wheel arch and then kick the jack under the car. (Note: I use a 3 ton trolley jack with a large diameter lifting pad) The ramps give enough height to do minor things but not high enough to get fully under the car, I can remove the under tray to drain the oil or get partially under the rear to check things.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club