Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brakes are squeaking

Sarah65000
聽Share

Hello

Thanks in advance for any help.

My 2008 ford fiesta (automatic) has developed a mouse-like squeak when I take my foot of the brake at low speed (usually after I have been driving for about 10 minutes or so). I feel it is more frequent in warm weather and started when the temp reached 25 the other week. I had new shoes and pads last year from Halfords. Has anyone had this problem. Many thanks

Brake squeeks and squeals are quite common and most of the time nothing to worry about

Braking over time causes a huge build up of brake dust which quite literally goes everywhere so the moving parts which quite often are a little greased can dry up and cause these problems

Taking them apart and cleaning them, using a bit of copper grease and they are normally good to go

However squeaks and squeals can also be an indication of some sort of failure, worn pads most common but it is also possible to have other issues like warps on mounting arms etc but much less common

If you are competent at taking them apart do it yourself and give them a check and clean, if not it's always good to get them checked by a trusted mechanic as brakes are an essential part of your vehicle 馃憤馃徎

Hope you find this post helpful

On 6/15/2020 at 11:01 AM, Sarah65000 said:

last year from Halfords.

Ah there I've found your problem. Probably poor fitting by the apes that work at Halfords. If you went back there they'd just tell your your discs and pads are worn so need new ones again where you may not necessarily. I'd strip your calipers down and check for anything obvious wrong. Otherwise clean and re-grease.

Just wanted to update you on this.聽 As i've only recently figured this out.聽 When you go to ford and buy a new car.聽 They put Ceramic brake pads on at the factory.聽 When you go back, to put new one's on(Brake Change) they put semi metallic on.聽 Semi metallic squeak especially at slow speeds or being sat for the night.聽 Ceramic pads are whisper quiet.聽 They cost a little more but, not at all that much.聽 I've scratched my head at this one.聽 Did it myself.聽 No more noises.聽 If you see more brake dust.聽 Probably Semi-metallic.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club