Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'' Change engine oil soon '' notification ?

MONDEO TXS 2.2

Information :

MKIV Focus TX1.5 Diesel, 6,523 miles.

( Allegedly ) last serviced at Bridgend Ford @ 5,800 miles 20/12/19 just prior to purchase.

This notification has just illuminated & seems odd considering the total mileage & the last service interval.

I've searched the guides & how to with no success on how to reset, probably missed it somewhere !

Does any clever member know how to reset the service indicator to extinguish this message please ?

Thank you in advance

Mark

Power up the car, but don't start hold down brake and accelerator together until it's reset from memory. It will take a while but you'll see the progress on the dash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ennvoqation said:

Power up the car, but don't start hold down brake and accelerator together until it's reset from memory. It will take a while but you'll see the progress on the dash.

Thank you for your reply, i did as you said for 10 minutes, no progress or anything else visible on the dash?

For clarification : this is a 19 plate Focus Titanium X 1.5 diesel

For the 2019 model, I believe that resetting the oil  message is done through the settings page on the dash, scroll to the little cog, then Info, then down to oil Life. Press and hold OK and it resets after around 5 seconds.

It's probably worth noting that if it's so recent, the 2018 onwards models did have a non-mandatory recall on some models to amend this issue or at least the cause of the premature messages, might be worth having a main dealer double check it and make sure. Not sure if itll show on Etis but a number of us could check it if you're happy to message your reg plate to see if it has anything listed as outstanding service actions

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, WireyWhenWet said:

For the 2019 model, I believe that resetting the oil  message is done through the settings page on the dash, scroll to the little cog, then Info, then down to Oil Life. Press and hold OK and it resets after around 5 seconds.

It's probably worth noting that if it's so recent, the 2018 onwards models did have a non-mandatory recall on some models to amend this issue or at least the cause of the premature messages, might be worth having a main dealer double check it and make sure. Not sure if itll show on Etis but a number of us could check it if you're happy to message your reg plate to see if it has anything listed as outstanding service actions

P.M. sent 

Thank you

Out of interest i just checked my FordPass app & very confusingly the oil life is showing 100%, the app info has been updated since the message appeared whilst driving the car over 4 hours ago

Do i believe the app or the car's brain ? !

I have the same car, and it came on 3 times in under 9 months and 4000 miles, got in contact with ford and was told to check https://www.etis.ford.com/ for any service updates, which there was .

Took it in to the local dealer they did the update, and it's never been on since, they did also remove the reset oil life from the menu though

462119243_ScreenShot2019-12-16at09_14_28.thumb.jpeg.d02d7e5ab6e8e84efdb5e7aa2b4535cf.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

I have the same car, and it came on 3 times in under 9 months and 4000 miles, got in contact with ford and was told to check https://www.etis.ford.com/ for any service updates, which there was .

Took it in to the local dealer they did the update, and it's never been on since, they did also remove the reset oil life from the menu though

462119243_ScreenShot2019-12-16at09_14_28.thumb.jpeg.d02d7e5ab6e8e84efdb5e7aa2b4535cf.jpeg

Thank you, i just checked on etis & there are no Outstanding Field service Actions listed

As to resetting it yourself, I was told by the local dealer Evans Halshaw Ford Chorley that you should not do this and the oil must be changed as it can do a lot of damage to the engine, but when I took mine to Bristol Street Motors Wigan when it came on about a month after my first service, they said Oh just reset it and don't worry.

So  who do you believe ?

• Thanks 1

Whenever I get my cars serviced I alwsys reset the oil life counter myself as you can never trust them to do it.
It's only a timed notification anyway, nothing to do with mileage or actusl oil condition.
It's a scare tactic to make people service their cars even if they don't really need it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Whenever I get my cars serviced I alwsys reset the oil life counter myself as you can never trust them to do it.
It's only a timed notification anyway, nothing to do with mileage or actusl oil condition.
It's a scare tactic to make people service their cars even if they don't really need it.

Thank you Clive, on my model there seems to be no way to reset the oil life indicator, but as i previously mentioned the Fordpass app suggests the oil life is 100% - so maybe just a glitch ?

12 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

The Outstanding Field service Action on mine was for oil Dilution , which is an issue with diesel engines.

Fuel in the oil reduces the oil's life expectancy and effectiveness. Because diesel fuel is a natural solvent, fuel dilution in motor oil causes a decrease in viscosity which may lead to an increase in engine wear.

https://www.lubricants.total.com/news-press-releases/fuel-dilution-engine-oil-causes-and-effects

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Are you absolutely sure about this? Giving out that sort of advice could result in someone's engine being severely damaged if not correct.

My guess is this is how it works - the remaining oil life is the lowest proportion left of 3 competing events from the time it was last reset :

1. A countdown over 12 months

2. A countdown over 12500 miles

3. A "clever" algorithm calculating oil quality based on operational events, such as pressure, temperature, number of cold starts.

The figures above are for my ST, the 12 months and 12500 miles will vary depending on model and service intervals. Remember this is from the time the indication was last reset, which can be done by anyone at any time, but obviously is only supposed to be reset each time the oil is changed.

Definitely a timed event only, no sensors involved.

It depends on the engine.  Diesels definitely aren't just timed nowadays, some use oil quality sensors, others calculate quality depending on number of DPF regens as well as cold starts etc.  You'll always get some oil dilution with post-injection regens, and regens have to occur so frequently for the latest emissions regs that oil life will likely be shorter than expected.  

If the message comes up on a diesel, you should definitely check the oil to make sure the level isn't massively over max (potential to cause a runaway) but I wouldn't be too worried about engine damage in the short term.  There is also a PCM update to rectify false early warnings on some engines as earlier in the thread.

I'm not sure about the petrol ST, would assume there is still an oil life calculation done but it won't be anywhere near as important as the diesel ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club