Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK2 Ti-vct noise

bob34

Hello

My engine make a weird noise since for few days comming from the belts side. I thought it cames from a component of the accesory belts, but unfortunately the noise is still there without the belts !

I made a video : noise comming at 20/25 sec

If somebody have an idea of where it comes, or how to spot the problem.

I already tryed to put a screwdriver at many place to listen but i never listen this noise, exhaust, intake, around the pulley...

I'm totally lost.

Any ideas/ advice would be greatly appreciated

Well, I would have said one of your accessory belt pulleys as well.

There is one pulley that you might consider however. Could it be from the timing belt tensioner pulley.

It's behind the belt cover and inaccessible normally. If you know what you are doing you could possibly cut/drill a small hole at the position of the pulley bolt and listen with a long rod or stethoscope.

On the last timing belt changes to my cars, I have drilled into the plastic right opposite the pulley bolt when the cover was off for just this reason. I know it's easy to access at any time later but not that sure how practical it would be to make the hole with the cover on.

Anyway, just a thought.

Let us know how you get on.

ScaniaPBman.

sounds like a bearing....

got any PAS fluid in there.... the main steel pipe fractures right beside the pump - (modified design available for 120 quid, with a bracket to the pump that's right in the way of the stupid quick release coupling) - common cause of breakdowns. the fluid also weeps past the reservoir pipes, replace stupid spring clips with jubilee clips

if that's full and green, rather than metal in grey / black.  I'd check the idler bearings, you may need to take the stretch belts off and spin things around by hand to feel for wear / smoothness.... if you do at the temps you get the noise you'll likely find more easily

if you do a cam belt and water pump do the thermostat at the same time.... (some version have a wire to it for a heater circuit and these cost 110 quid !!! - once the heater circuit pops the car runs too hot (but not on the gauge!!!) and the cooling fan runs nearly 100% of the time.  Keep driving and then the oil pressure relive valve sticks and the fun starts.  I think the stuck relief valve is the main driver of the noisy cam sprockets (forgot the name).  A modified oil pump with different bolts is available.... its the bit on the side u see in the video (as is the pressure relief valve - at 12 seconds in)

Thanks for both your answers.

I think the problem comes from the timing belt and/or the oil pump. I will probably take the car to Ford for a diagnostic.

@Botus

My PAS level is good and no hard point on the direction.

I already checked many times all the pulleys without the belts and nothing wrong there. I also listened each component with screwdriver or crowbar and no weird noise noticed.

The thermostat has been replaced 2 or 3 years ago, i'll pass on that for now 😅

I didn't try to listen at the oil pump, maybe I should...

Thanks again

mileage ? service history?

there are idlers for the cam belt behind the cover.... std is 100k miles or 8 years I think

153k kms from 2005

History, well not a lot after 2015...

When i bought the car 3 year ago, the garage look and show me the timing belt, it was quite new and the vct pulleys were replaced after a bad oil change.

So I didn't really care until now.

After thougt, replacement is aster 8 years, 2013 and next 2021. I expected to do it next year.

But surprise of the day, an error P0153 just popped \o/

An other part to replace!

I wonder if the two things are linked ?

CAT sensor,  if it was German it would have died many thousands of miles earlier....   if I sat you in the exhaust and I cooked you for 150k miles you'd probably have given up by now too

I don't see how that would make a bearing noise....  on the cam belt there's the idler and or tensioner.... these should always be replaced using a "cam belt kit".... plus a water pump, alongside the thermostat (due to the work load / cost of the parts being so cheap).  But some one may have just slipped a belt on and thought that's it....

150k mile water pump and cam belt tensioner wouldn't be in first flush of youth - that's the joy, you have no idea if they were done or not.    

The answer from the Ford guy, probably the belt tensioner bearing diying or dead...

I will prepare for a full kit change.

I'll probably change the two upper cat sensors and hope for the best !

Got my answer this morning. The timing belt tensioner is dead !

IMG_20200629_105430-2.thumb.jpg.08f4192e5b5cde09a29c0cc56b6bcb17.jpg

Now I have to fix this.

Thanks All for your answers.

Well done tracking down the source of the noise.

Particularly, as you know, the result of running to ultimate failure of this actual pulley is a wrecked engine.

Pat yourself on the back and have another beer or strong cup of tea depending on your preference!

Just note that if you are going to do this job yourself you need, in addition to all the usual tools for doing a 1.6 timing belt, a special cam aligning tool to suit a ti vct setup.

ScaniaPBman

Hello

Full timing belt kit and water pump changed and the noise is still present...

It's exactly the same than this video on a 1.6 TDCI engine ( Bearing Injection pump here)

I quit, i'll wait for the problems !

• 1 year later...
On 7/6/2020 at 9:43 AM, bob34 said:

Hello

Full timing belt kit and water pump changed and the noise is still present...

It's exactly the same than this video on a 1.6 TDCI engine ( Bearing Injection pump here)

I quit, i'll wait for the problems !

Did you ever find out what the issue is? I have the same think on my ti vct focus 

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the (very) late answer... 😅

I still got the noise and the engine run well. I ordered a damper pulley, i will change it when i'll have time.

I will tell you if it solve the problem.

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2021 at 6:39 PM, bob34 said:

Sorry for the (very) late answer... 😅

I still got the noise and the engine run well. I ordered a damper pulley, i will change it when i'll have time.

I will tell you if it solve the problem.

Not problems. Thank you. I'll wait for your answer.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club