Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Stop - Door Open - Engine Start

Rik Walter

Now this has bugged me for years and I have no idea why it happens or why the car is allowed to do this.

On my now sold 16 plate S-Max Titanium Sport and my current Edge, and when the Start / Stop is functioning as it should IE car warmed up, no air con on etc etc.

The following happens, whenever I park and apply the E Handbrake, if I sit a while the engine turns off as it should with my foot on the brake pedal, I then forget to press the Stop / Start button and I open the drivers door to get out, the engine then starts up, I then have to press the button to turn off the engine.

Why does this happen as I am wanting to leave the car even though I haven't pressed the button the engine has stopped due to it's Start / Stop function but starts when the drivers door is opened.

I haven't tested this with the passenger door (cos I'm sat in the drivers side) but will get the wife to try next time before I open the drivers door.

It does shock me sometimes as it's not expected.

A audible warning would be better like when the lights were left on or something to warn you that the ignition isn't turned off.

Does this happen to others?

Keep safe.

Rik

Yep, its the way the system is designed! I personally hate the stop/start as it either stops too quick (i.e. pause at a roundabout or give way) and it takes too long to start and engage the auto box when you take your foot off the brake and hit the throttle! I've gone for a few 'gaps' before now and it just didn't get me moving quick enough before the gap closed ... then you brake and almost get rear-ended by the car behind thinking you've already gone!!

My standard procedure is ... Get In, Press Start, disable Start/stop, handbrake off, select gear .... Go driving!

• Like 2

Mine too, disable stop/start before I move off. Just wish you could permanently disable it.

• Like 2

It is odd that Ford let the engine restart after opening the driver's door.  My Golf doesn't.  It says something like 'manual start needed, press clutch'.

Leaving the ignition on is draining the battery though, it's probably better to just press the button when you stop at your destination.  No chance of forgetting and killing the battery or unintentional engine restarts like that.

My works Vauxhall and Toyota pool cars do the same. I presume it is a safety feature.

Hi All

Tried in my Edge yesterday with the following results:-
Stopped, engine start/stop stopped, opened driver's door, engine still stopped, did not restart.

Happy motoring

Stay safe

Dave

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All

Tried in my Edge yesterday with the following results:-
Stopped, engine start/stop stopped, opened driver's door, engine still stopped, did not restart.

Happy motoring

Stay safe

Dave

Hi All

Just a quick update. I have now tried the above quite a few times, and everytime I got the same results.

Happy motoring

Stay safe

Dave

I've had it auto start (from an auto stop) when I open the drivers door on a few occasions. Not sure if it's related to a drop in battery level when the internal lights come on or if it depends on whether you put it in park, hold the brake, park brake not on, etc. but it does do it, when and why is still to be determined! 

• 2 weeks later...

Keeps catching me out, I took a call from work on my way home yesterday, I was still talking when I parked in the drive, engine turned off (auto Start/Stop) I continued with my call for the next few mins, car in park and hand brake on, took my seat belt off and opened the door, engine started.

Hi All

Just a quick update. I have now tried the above quite a few times, and everytime I got the same results.

Happy motoring

Stay safe

Dave

Hi All

Just had a quick thought. Not sure if it would make a difference to results, but reading other replies it seems other Edge's mentioned are all auto gearboxed, whereas my Edge is manual gearbox.

Happy motoring

Stay safe

Dave

Mine is Auto and it restarts when I open the door if not switched off after auto-stop. 

mine does exactly the same i think it is to stop you leaving it switched on when leaving the car 

1 minute ago, Ydda2 said:

mine does exactly the same i think it is to stop you leaving it switched on when leaving the car 

Yes but it doesn’t seem to start up again in a manual car.  So must be a reason that is pertinent to a diesel only. Odd. 

how does the manual car stop start at juntions do you hold down clutch and brake at same for it to work or what on autos its the brake and accelerator as you press accelerator it starts back up 

how does the manual car stop start at juntions do you hold down clutch and brake at same for it to work or what on autos its the brake and accelerator as you press accelerator it starts back up 
Hi All

When I am at a junction, it is either just hold on the brake ready to engage gear, or handbrake as well. When my engine autostops, as soon as I dip clutch, it re-starts.
Also someone mentioned about it being diesel engines only on this thread, my engine is a diesel.
In the manual Edge the engine has 180 power rating, whereas in the auto Edge the power rating is 210 (or at least these were the power ratings when I purchased my Edge).
I have been monitoring my Edge since first reading this post, and on every occasion when opening door engine has not restarted.

Happy motoring

Stay safe

Dave

On 7/11/2020 at 10:55 PM, Ydda2 said:

on autos its the brake and accelerator as you press accelerator it starts back up 

It starts up on an auto when you release the brake. You don't have to press the accelerator to start it ... and you hope the engine has started by the time your putting you foot down (which it doesn't always do)!

12 hours ago, DavesEdge said:
Also someone mentioned about it being diesel engines only on this thread, my engine is a diesel.

Sorry that was me. I meant to say Automatic, but for some reason said diesel. No idea why. The engine switching itself back on was relative to automatics rather than diesels (as they were all diesels at one point). 

• 1 month later...

I've had my 2015 Mondeo since June and this bugs the s**t out of me.  

It's a "feature" then and no way to permanently stop it?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club