Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless startup with a key??

leono1

I have a 1L ecoboost with keyless entry and keyless start up.  When buying the car 2nd hand I was only given 1 fob/key.  If I lost the fob, but had another key to get in, how do you start the car with the key (is there a hidden key hole?)  Or isn't there a way and I should get a 2nd fob set up?? 

If you say you have a key to get in, do you mean a mechanical key with no fob part to it?

The car can passively read the immobiliser chip, if you put it in the backup position.

You might need to check the manual for your car as it has moved around with different model years. Either a slot where the barrel would be, at the bottom of the inside of the armrest, in the pocket in front of the gear stick, etc. There is usually a symbol on the area so you can tell, but your manual should confirm it's location.

Yes the mechanical key. 

I was thinking if i got another mechanical key cut (if thats possible), then if I ever lost my fob, I would still be able get in the car and start it up with the copy of the mechanical key. Except i wasn't sure if it was possible to start the car with the mechanical key,  as all videos I've seen just still use the fob in the backup position you mention (but as I say if I lost my only fob...)

There is no mechanical barrel for you to turn with keyless start and even if there was, you need the immobiliser part of the key or it still won't start.

You'll need to get another fob programmed if you want a back up.

• Like 1

Alex thanks. And I take it that's a visit to my local ford? Or is there a way I can buy and programme a second fob myself? 

22 hours ago, alexp999 said:

There is no mechanical barrel for you to turn with keyless start and even if there was, you need the immobiliser part of the key or it still won't start.

You'll need to get another fob programmed if you want a back up.

Well actually, there is a hidden key barrel in the steering column on most keyless start fords with a cover over it because if the battery is flat but you need to unlock the steering, the barrel is there and also if the battery goes flat in the keyless key. Consult the owners manual, there should be an entry about it.

Just now, Neb_engineer said:

Well actually, there is a hidden key barrel in the steering column on most keyless start fords with a cover over it because if the battery is flat but you need to unlock the steering, the barrel is there and also if the battery goes flat in the keyless key. Consult the owners manual, there should be an entry about it.

Only on the very early ones. It’s was removed on most later models. 

Some early cars have a hidden barrel or slot. But most of the Fords in the last 5 years or so have nothing where the barrel would have been.

Keyless start uses an electronic steering lock there is no way to un do it without power. You gain entry with the backup mechanical key to the car to pop the hood and sort the battery out. Or use the backup position if the battery in the key is flat. It doesn’t help you unlock the steering if the car battery is dead. 

12 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Only on the very early ones. It’s was removed on most later models. 

Some early cars have a hidden barrel or slot. But most of the Fords in the last 5 years or so have nothing where the barrel would have been.

Keyless start uses an electronic steering lock there is no way to un do it without power. You gain entry with the backup mechanical key to the car to pop the hood and sort the battery out. Or use the backup position if the battery in the key is flat. It doesn’t help you unlock the steering if the car battery is dead. 

I stand corrected

On 6/19/2020 at 3:51 PM, leono1 said:

Alex thanks. And I take it that's a visit to my local ford? Or is there a way I can buy and programme a second fob myself? 

So is it a visit to ford? or can I buy a fob and reprogramme it myself using the car somehow? 

9 hours ago, leono1 said:

So is it a visit to ford? or can I buy a fob and reprogramme it myself using the car somehow? 

No looks like you need 2 original keys to program a new one.

" This Keyless2Go replacement keyless entry remote key comes with FREE easy to follow Do-It-Yourself programming instructions (2 working original keys required). Plus FREE tech support is available with every purchase"

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club