Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus ST burning smell

FZS180

I’ve just purchased a 2013 focus ST in March and drives fine under normal conditions, however when it push the engine to the higher revs I get a strange burning smell in the cabin, any ideas?

Thanks

Diesel or petrol?

Check for any leaks or smoke on the engine top when warm, have someone help with revving a bit as well.

Also see if the cabin filter has been replaced, more air in to the cabin can push some funky smells around, so worth a check anyway and often neglected.

Any pattern in particular or just when you gun it a bit?

I know that the diesel one is usually worth checking the injectors when pushed they tend to smell a little and push diesel out if the seals are a bit off.

Finally, is the source of it up front or toward the rear?

• Like 2

I’m a 2014 ST-2 owner, just wondering... when you say burning smell.. what does it smell like? oil? Petrol? Electrical cables?

I noticed weird smells in the higher rev range and this was down to the cabin filter. I also noted if I hadn’t given the air on a blast in a while I’d get a weird stale smoke smell. Smelt like damp cigarettes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

It only happens when I push it hard in gear 3/4, it’s a petrol. I can’t really put a finger on the smell but it’s a mechanical smell. I’ve noticed after a hard journey i take the oil cap off and they’res small amounts of smoke coming out(dunno if that’s normal or not) however nothing else going on in the engine bay, the source seems to be coming from the engine bay!

thanks

It only happens when I push it hard in gear 3/4, it’s a petrol. I can’t really put a finger on the smell but it’s a mechanical smell. I’ve noticed after a hard journey i take the oil cap off and they’res small amounts of smoke coming out(dunno if that’s normal or not) however nothing else going on in the engine bay, the source seems to be coming from the engine bay!
thanks

Smoke from oil cap after journey is normal, mine has done this from day one and soMe of my
Other cars did the same.

There’s no noticeable leaks anywhere in the engine bay at all is there?

Funnily enough, I’ve just come back from shopping and I left the engine running and thought I’d check the engine bay and I had a weird oily smell and it looks to be my k&n filter clogged with crap. I wouldn’t worry too much, it’s all apart of having an ST I guess

• Like 3

No leaks that I can see, oil and coolant level has stayed the same since purchasing so I can’t really see there being a leak anywhere, I’ll check the cabin filter however it’s still a mystery!

• Like 1

No leaks that I can see, oil and coolant level has stayed the same since purchasing so I can’t really see there being a leak anywhere, I’ll check the cabin filter however it’s still a mystery!

My moneys on the cabin filter, when you pull it out and smell it you will be shocked and what’s on it and how it smells! Amazing how it catches the amount of crap it does!

Let me know how you get along bud :)

• Like 1

Cabin filter is minging but doesn’t smell bad, I’ll change it out on Monday and see if the smell goes!

38A5785E-F9C0-4265-9B55-1F86D20E1C25.jpeg

• Like 2

Cabin filter is minging but doesn’t smell bad, I’ll change it out on Monday and see if the smell goes!
38A5785E-F9C0-4265-9B55-1F86D20E1C25.thumb.jpeg.8faa55a00e7f40fa52b5dac9d0895d7f.jpeg

Wow, that is bad! Yeah couple of quid and should be on to a winner! Hopefully that sorts out your issue!

• 11 months later...

It’s been a while, and the smell has unfortunately returned, cabin filter is clean!

Seems to still only happen when booting it in 3/4th. Possible exhaust leak or failing cat?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club