Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK4 - BLIS Install

simps100

Hi all

Got a new focus on its way - due to the model year change and dropping the 1.5 auto I’ve not been able to get a factory order but have found a pre built with pretty much everything im after apart from BLIS and have been looking at if this is possible to install as a mod.

Ive been reading this thread from the states where it’s been done on a Mustang so im guessing / hoping it should be possible on a Focus over here?

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/step-by-step-guide-to-enabling-blind-spot-information-system-blis-and-cross-traffic-alert-cta.107623/?utm_source=FordOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks&utm_campaign=referrals&utm_source=FordOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks&utm_campaign=referrals

Does anyone with any better car electronics knowledge than me know where to start with this or have any idea where on the Focus these sensors would need to be wired in? 

I don’t really have any experience with car mods and this is probably jumping in the deep end so if anyone would be interested in helping out with a mod like this would be more than willing to compensate for their time!

Cheers

If you have specified comfort pack, which includes rear camera and park out assist, there's a chance that the sensors and the wiring are already there.

You will still need to change the door mirrors for BLIS, or add the wiring and change the lens and add wiring into the door harnesses for BLIS then reconfigure using Forscan

Hi there, I had exactly same question.

No BLISS for me.

Wouldn't doing this invalidate the warranty?  Unless done by a Ford dealer?

On 6/22/2020 at 7:51 AM, DaveT70 said:

If you have specified comfort pack, which includes rear camera and park out assist, there's a chance that the sensors and the wiring are already there.

You will still need to change the door mirrors for BLIS, or add the wiring and change the lens and add wiring into the door harnesses for BLIS then reconfigure using Forscan

The car does have Driver Assistance and  Convenience Pack (Think thats the one with the rear camera / park out assist?) so that’s good to know!

Any ideas how I could check and confirm if the sensors are there already? Or is there no way other than removing the rear bumper?

If it’s just a case of changing the mirrors and enable in forscan that would be amazing!

On 6/29/2020 at 10:43 PM, Guy Heaton said:

That’s a good point - I’ve done some research into it and it seems mixed, for example if I enabled BLIS and had an issue completely unrelated later on from what I understand it would still be covered under the warranty? I guess if as above the sensors / wiring are in place and it’s just a case of the mirror glass being changed and enabled in forscan I may find a Ford dealer to do it without it being ridiculously expensive..! Although I do wonder if I’d find a dealer willing to do it - even though knowing it is possible from a technical standpoint.

9 hours ago, simps100 said:

Only on door mirrors or BLIS system. I doubt they have the knowledge to realise you've added it to be honest, especially when you are told things like "you're exhaust manifold gasket leak is not an issue as there's no fault code"

9 hours ago, simps100 said:

Or is there no way other than removing the rear bumper?

No, you'll have to have a look I'm afraid

3 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Only on door mirrors or BLIS system. I doubt they have the knowledge to realise you've added it to be honest, especially when you are told things like "you're exhaust manifold gasket leak is not an issue as there's no fault code"

No, you'll have to have a look I'm afraid

Ok thought as much! Are there any guides around for removing the rear bumper on the MK4? Everything I find online seems to be for the mk3.

On 6/20/2020 at 8:27 PM, simps100 said:

Hi all

Got a new focus on its way - due to the model year change and dropping the 1.5 auto I’ve not been able to get a factory order but have found a pre built with pretty much everything im after apart from BLIS and have been looking at if this is possible to install as a mod.

Ive been reading this thread from the states where it’s been done on a Mustang so im guessing / hoping it should be possible on a Focus over here?

I’m in the same situation and just taken delivery of a petrol 1.5 auto ST Line X. It has everything apart from driver assistance pack and BLIS so would be interested on how you get on with this. 

I think I’m going to have to look into getting forscan to see what I can enable without physical mods first. Eg could you enable the cross traffic alert to see if the sensors are there rather than taking the bumper off?

Hi

Apparently  you can switch on driver assistant pack using Forscan or UCDS, there's a topic on Forscan on it.

You may need to change the steering wheel switch to enable use on lane centre assist

Being an ST-Line X you may not have the wiring for BLIS, you'll have to take the bumper off and see

33 minutes ago, jamokuga said:

I’m in the same situation and just taken delivery of a petrol 1.5 auto ST Line X. It has everything apart from driver assistance pack and BLIS so would be interested on how you get on with this. 

I think I’m going to have to look into getting forscan to see what I can enable without physical mods first. Eg could you enable the cross traffic alert to see if the sensors are there rather than taking the bumper off?

Will keep updated once work out proper way of getting the bumper off!

I’ve got a Vignale with Driver Assistance Pack and Convenience Pack so from what I’ve seen on here am very hopeful at least the wiring is there for BLIS - if the sensors are there too would be great and hopefully much more straight forward than I was expecting it to be!

22 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

Hi

Apparently  you can switch on driver assistant pack using Forscan or UCDS, there's a topic on Forscan on it.

You may need to change the steering wheel switch to enable use on lane centre assist

Being an ST-Line X you may not have the wiring for BLIS, you'll have to take the bumper off and see

Thanks, I saw the thread - is it really as simple as changing a button on the steering wheel once activated? Can you even just buy the button?

I have park assist and B&O upgrade which someone suggested means they put the upgraded wiring loom in?

12 minutes ago, simps100 said:

Will keep updated once work out proper way of getting the bumper off!

I’ve got a Vignale with Driver Assistance Pack and Convenience Pack so from what I’ve seen on here am very hopeful at least the wiring is there for BLIS - if the sensors are there too would be great and hopefully much more straight forward than I was expecting it to be!

Cheers and good luck! Shame I was unable to pick my options as I would have swapped the pano roof and hud for driver assistance pack and BLIS. Oh well never mind the pano roof will be useful with all the rain we’re having 😂

Thanks! Same - I had a Vignale speced our with everything I have now + BLIS - but due to model year change couldn’t place the order and they’ve dropped the 1.5 engine so settled with this one which am more than happy with - it’s lovey to drive but I do miss BLIS from my fiesta - I guess the issue with all these tech things is you get so used to them!

2 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Hi

Hi There!  Do you have a link to the forscan forum where they discuss switching on the driver assistance pack?  I'd be very interested in exploring that.  I've had a look on the forscan site but it would be great to get a proper link.

Thanks,

You will need to do more than just change the mirrors for ones with Blis indicator. 

if like the mk3/3.5 the rear sensors have the cam network cable in the loom and a separate supply for the power hanging with the plug for the sensor loom. You’d also need the blis modules and brackets. Not cheap  over £400 each from ford and rare to find on eBay for a mk3/3.5 

so in short you’d need 2 blis modules and brackets. A new parking sensor loom with blis and 2 wing mirrors with blis indication on then activate. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, excession_ocp said:

Hi There!  Do you have a link to the forscan forum where they discuss switching on the driver assistance pack?  I'd be very interested in exploring that.  I've had a look on the forscan site but it would be great to get a proper link.

Thanks,

Haven't seen one for BLIS only activating driver assistance pack

On 7/3/2020 at 7:19 AM, DaveT70 said:

Haven't seen one for BLIS only activating driver assistance pack

Sorry, without wanting to hijack the thread that's the one I was looking for 🙂

6 hours ago, excession_ocp said:

Sorry, without wanting to hijack the thread that's the one I was looking for 🙂

Try:

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13559

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14020

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11359

On 7/2/2020 at 7:16 PM, Tommo17 said:

You will need to do more than just change the mirrors for ones with Blis indicator. 

On the MK4 if you have driver's assistance pack and convenience pack, the BLIS sensors are used for cross traffic alert, so they are there.

Then Ford still charge £400 to switch on BLIS

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

On the MK4 if you have driver's assistance pack and convenience pack, the BLIS sensors are used for cross traffic alert, so they are there.

Then Ford still charge £400 to switch on BLIS

Hmm I definitely have the driver assistance pack and convenience pack... but I thought cross traffic alert is only enabled when you have BLIS - I don’t seem to have it at the moment anyway!

So in theory I shouldn’t need to remove the bumper? I just need a couple of new mirrors with the BLIS alert light and enable it in forscan? What’s the best way to get the part numbers for the wing mirrors?

13 hours ago, simps100 said:

I thought cross traffic alert is only enabled when you have BLIS - I don’t seem to have it at the moment anyway!

Thinking about it I think you may be right.

13 hours ago, simps100 said:

So in theory I shouldn’t need to remove the bumper? I just need a couple of new mirrors with the BLIS alert light and enable it in forscan? What’s the best way to get the part numbers for the wing mirrors?

Unfortunately, yes, you're going to need to see if you do have the sensors, or at least the wiring

2 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Thinking about it I think you may be right.

Unfortunately, yes, you're going to need to see if you do have the sensors, or at least the wiring

Sounds like I’ll have to bite the bullet and get it taken off! Quick question - if the sensors are not there any rough idea where the wiring would be or will it just be dangling behind the bumper? Will try find what socket the sensors have to make sure find the right thing!

Apologies all, after doing a bit more research, you DON'T get the sensors if you have rear camera.

You only get them with BLIS (which includes cross traffic alert).

You may have the wiring though, if it's a top spec car, it's normally part of the main cabin harness that comes out the rear or it could be part of the rear bumper harness.

Either way, it's bumper off I'm afraid

Hello, I received my new Focus 2020, I took all the options except BLIS. I will be interested to install it. You can check the wiring on one side only, and by checking there is no pre-wiring I think. I just see the sensors.

1 hour ago, AstroNico said:

Hello, I received my new Focus 2020, I took all the options except BLIS. I will be interested to install it. You can check the wiring on one side only, and by checking there is no pre-wiring I think. I just see the sensors.

Hey - do you mean you already checked for the wiring by removing the back bumper?