Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK 8 ST

Matthew McGuinness

Hi, I am seriously considering trading in my ST-Line X for a Used MK 8 ST-3. (Equity, finance and insurance depending). I know that because they are still pretty new people may not know. Is there anything to look out for when buying one? Have any owners had any problems with them?

Out of curiosity, are you looking at any other cars?

I know the ST is really good but I don’t think having owned a 140ps MK8 I’d be all that bothered about getting an ST version as performance aside, it’s still the same car. Pretty much same interior (Recaro’s aside), quite small, same build quality (put together well enough but mainly with hard plastics which is a shame). I do like the MK8 because it’s good fun to drive even as a 140 st line but if I was looking for a performance boost, I’d look at something a bit different. 

Due to COVID, there’s plenty of bargains around and plenty of choice, Golf GTIs, i30 N’s, last gen M140i’s etc

Obviously I don’t know what your budget is but the ST doesn’t seem like a car that’d be significantly cheaper to run than alternatives

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DG97 said:

are you looking at any other cars?

I haven't been looking at other but I will. I currently have my car on PCP and i would go for a used on on HP or Car loan, but I don't want my monthly payments to be higher. I am just looking around at the moment and seeing what i could do. 

1 hour ago, DG97 said:

Out of curiosity, are you looking at any other cars?

I know the ST is really good but I don’t think having owned a 140ps MK8 I’d be all that bothered about getting an ST version as performance aside, it’s still the same car. Pretty much same interior (Recaro’s aside), quite small, same build quality (put together well enough but mainly with hard plastics which is a shame). I do like the MK8 because it’s good fun to drive even as a 140 st line but if I was looking for a performance boost, I’d look at something a bit different. 

Due to COVID, there’s plenty of bargains around and plenty of choice, Golf GTIs, i30 N’s, last gen M140i’s etc

Obviously I don’t know what your budget is but the ST doesn’t seem like a car that’d be significantly cheaper to run than alternatives

I've owned the MK8 ST Line with a stage 1 remap (145bhp / 235nm) for 7 months and made the switch to the ST about 2 months ago. Even though the ST Line is a blast to drive and is definitely quite nippy, it is a completely different experience compared to the ST. Steering is so much faster, suspension is tighter, exhaust note is loads of fun and the power delivery is a lot smoother. The 55 bhp and 55nm might not sound like much, but combined with the diff it does make for a completely different driving experience. 

Which doesn't mean there isn't any other great cars on the market as you've stated of course!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DG97 said:

Can't find many cheap Golf GTi's myself*, loads of damn R's locally!  As if you need 300bhp and 4wd in a Golf... :unsure:  Must admit my neighbours S3 sounds fantastic though. :laugh:  Just a shame it looks backbreaking mounting the ~5mm kerb in the carpark.

I've been surprised how cheap the Mk8 ST's are, often cheaper than Mk3.5 Focus ST's despite age difference and they're generally lower mileage too.  I just don't find the Mk8 ST particularly exciting to look at personally (sorry lol) but I can't see any other small hot hatch that's better value... :g:

*(I'm only after a facelift with the Performance pack...and not in red, white or black!  Oh, and not in 3 door either...or manual.  And I'd quite like a set of optional alloys instead of the boring 5 spoke turbines...so not after much lol)

• Like 1

I'd want it to either have the performance pack, or be one of the later ones, so it has the LSD.

I actually like that the Ford STs are a little understated.  I mean the A class AMG has a hideous wing and the Civic type r makes me want to gouge out my eyeballs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Can't find many cheap Golf GTi's myself*, loads of damn R's locally!  As if you need 300bhp and 4wd in a Golf... :unsure:  

I've found that when looking at VW approved used cars. Could be because a few years back VW seemed to get the GMFV on their PCP badly wrong (over optimistic residual) which made the monthly instalments ridiculously cheap. Provided you were happy to hand the car back after your 24/36/48 month period, rather than make the final payment, you were on a winner. Was severely tempted myself but didn't - another one for the "wish I'd done it list"!

Anyway, I guess the consequence of that would be a bit of a glut in the used market.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, STLineMK8 said:

I've owned the MK8 ST Line with a stage 1 remap (145bhp / 235nm) for 7 months and made the switch to the ST about 2 months ago. Even though the ST Line is a blast to drive and is definitely quite nippy, it is a completely different experience compared to the ST. Steering is so much faster, suspension is tighter, exhaust note is loads of fun and the power delivery is a lot smoother. The 55 bhp and 55nm might not sound like much, but combined with the diff it does make for a completely different driving experience. 

Which doesn't mean there isn't any other great cars on the market as you've stated of course!

What's put me off so far is the seat which I found painfully tight around the hips, and I'm not a heavily built person by any means. A number of other members have made similar comments - how are you getting on with it, Nick?

4 hours ago, Matthew McGuinness said:

I haven't been looking at other but I will. I currently have my car on PCP and i would go for a used on on HP or Car loan, but I don't want my monthly payments to be higher. I am just looking around at the moment and seeing what i could do. 

Just to let you know, it is possible to build HP with a balloon payment to bring the monthly payments down similar to PCP. If you’re sensible with the size of the balloon then you can ensure you have options at the end. 

PCP is terrible for consumer protection and flexibility and only gets the uptake because people are unaware you can often structure HP in a similar way. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Finance Guy said:

Just to let you know, it is possible to build HP with a balloon payment to bring the monthly payments down similar to PCP. If you’re sensible with the size of the balloon then you can ensure you have options at the end. 

Thanks for that. I never knew that and i might have to try it.

1 minute ago, Matthew McGuinness said:

Thanks for that. I never knew that and i might have to try it.

Let me know if you want me to run the numbers for you. I don’t do much in cars - more machinery and things - but always happy to help out FOC people. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Finance Guy said:

PCP is terrible for consumer protection and flexibility and only gets the uptake because people are unaware you can often structure HP in a similar way. 

What would the advantage be in doing that?  

2 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

What would the advantage be in doing that?  

HP is just a better product (in my opinion), and gives better flexibility throughout. For example in settling early, most of the time you end up with an interest rebate so you save money settling early. On PCP you will generally be penalised for getting out early to incentivise you to get into a new car. 

Also, on PCP the balloon payment will be right up to the hilt on the expected future value. If you put in a reasonable, conservative balloon which balances the lower monthly payments with the sensible balloon, then you’re into a positive equity position a lot sooner and you can carry equity on to your next car, instead of the future value only just covering the final payment. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

I'd want it to either have the performance pack, or be one of the later ones, so it has the LSD.

I actually like that the Ford STs are a little understated.  I mean the A class AMG has a hideous wing and the Civic type r makes me want to gouge out my eyeballs.

The diff is the main reason I'm after a Performance version tbh!  And something that puts me off the Focus ST.

STs never used to be understated, I don't know why they've done it with the Mk8. :unsure:

I really liked a bright green A Class I saw for sale this week...  Maybe it's the midlife crisis kicking in! :laugh:

• Haha 2

The diff is the main reason I'm after a Performance version tbh!  And something that puts me off the Focus ST.

STs never used to be understated, I don't know why they've done it with the Mk8. :unsure:

I really liked a bright green A Class I saw for sale this week...  Maybe it's the midlife crisis kicking in! :laugh:

Ahhh I remember, ASBO Orange was about as understated as it got 😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

What's put me off so far is the seat which I found painfully tight around the hips, and I'm not a heavily built person by any means. A number of other members have made similar comments - how are you getting on with it, Nick?

When I first got into the car it actually made me reconsider buying it just because of the seat issue. But I decided to take the risk and swap the seats for non Recaro ones if I really couldn't get used to it. But after about a week I didn't even notice how tight they are around the hips anymore and I absolutely love them. My girlfriend for example doesn't really like them. Not because of the hips issue but because she's quite small and the bolster only start widening up above her shoulder which forces her arms forward. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tef89 said:

Ahhh I remember, ASBO Orange was about as understated as it got 😁

So good though. My neighbour just got a MK2.5 ST in orange and I’m so jealous 

• Like 2

Instead of getting an ST id be tempted to do a remap. does anyone know if there are remaps out there for the mk8 140 that does not void warranty?

18 minutes ago, Matthew McGuinness said:

Instead of getting an ST id be tempted to do a remap. does anyone know if there are remaps out there for the mk8 140 that does not void warranty?

The 140 MK8's are pretty much at their limit power wise. A stage 1 remap won't give you more than about 10-20bhp extra and about 50nm of torque. I spoke to the Belgian rally team who use the ST Lines as a base for the R4 package by Msport when I picked up the ST (the garage delivers their cars) and they told me the standard gearbox will only take about 215nm of torque reliably. Also the absolute max for the standard internals on that engine is 170bhp, that's a stage 2. Any more and you're due to blow it up sometime soon. 

There's no warranty approved remaps for the 140 model right now. 

It's just Mountune that do warranty approved remaps but they only do ST's.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ive been looking at them and they had a remap for the mk 7 140, so ive emailed them to see if they are doing one for the mk 8

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

They do a remap for the 125ps model which is warranty approved. Sadly the M235 package they do for the ST is not even approved by Ford 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, STLineMK8 said:

They do a remap for the 125ps model which is warranty approved. Sadly the M235 package they do for the ST is not even approved by Ford 

For the Mk8?  I thought the 1.0 was only Mk7?

I stand corrected on the ST map though, that's a shame. :sad: 

9 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

https://www.mountunestore.com/products/mk8-fiesta-1-0-mp140-upgrade-fully-fitted-at-mountune-hq?_pos=1&_sid=f96af0d6b&_ss=r

It's not listed under the MK8 1.0 products for some reason, you have to manually search it. 
It's a real shame about the ST map mate , none of the new Mountune remaps seem to be warranted. 

• Thanks 1

Oh Tom, and there was me thinking you read all my posts.........😀

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club