Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Puma hands-free power liftgate won't operate

Nick100

Has anyone with a new Puma had a problem with getting the liftgate to open or close using the kick under the bumper operation?  Picked up my new Puma today and this has happened to me.  

I can't get it to work but mine is a humble Titanium Ecoboost so not sure if it should!

I would add that its the hands free power liftgate.

On 6/24/2020 at 8:11 PM, Nick100 said:

Has anyone with a new Puma had a problem with getting the liftgate to open or close using the kick under the bumper operation?  Picked up my new Puma today and this has happened to me.  

Yes I too had this problem but had a factory software update done and all now works fine,

Im glad that was easy to put right,  I've booked in to get mine done.  Thanks whitecarman .

Just got mine and struggled too (wasn't even sure if I had the option).

Anyway, I found a YouTube video which explained it far better than the manual - rather than the grand, sweeping side to side movement, I found a small kick forward and to the side worked and it opens... and closes. Even my 11 year old daughter got it going.

• Like 1

Got the car back from my Ford dealer who have after two days solved the problem.  It's a known software issue and they did a software reset to put it right.  I was advised that because of the newness of the Puma model that I should treat the fix with caution as it may not be 100% right.  Was invited back if I'm not happy, going forward. 

36 minutes ago, Nick100 said:

Got the car back from my Ford dealer who have after two days solved the problem.  It's a known software issue and they did a software reset to put it right.  I was advised that because of the newness of the Puma model that I should treat the fix with caution as it may not be 100% right.  Was invited back if I'm not happy, going forward. 

What was wrong with yours? Did it not open at all or was it intermittent? 

It didn't open at all,  from collection.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nick100 said:

Same problem as mine.  New car but hands-free operation of the tailgate would not function no matter what I did.  Good news is that after 3 weeks the fault has never returned.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone. Newbie here.  I have an ST Line Puma on order and wondered if the hands free tailgate opening will be standard on my model?  I assumed it was part of a pack...

1 minute ago, Snack_Shack said:

Hey everyone. Newbie here.  I have an ST Line Puma on order and wondered if the hands free tailgate opening will be standard on my model?  I assumed it was part of a pack...

Hi 👋🏼 Good choice!

Is it the standard ST-Line model or a special edition of any kind? Mine is in the latter category so came with it but, unless you specify it as an add-on, I don't believe it comes with the standard model.

Just now, dartiss said:

Hi 👋🏼 Good choice!

Is it the standard ST-Line model or a special edition of any kind? Mine is in the latter category so came with it but, unless you specify it as an add-on, I don't believe it comes with the standard model.

Hey there

Just the standard ST Line for me and I think you're right but I wasn't sure.  Thanks for clarifying. 🙂

It seems a bit hit and miss on mine but I think it's just getting the knack of it.

It seems to work best by putting my foot under about 3/4 along to the right hand side and kicking left toward the centre.

• 2 months later...

We're having the same issue with our new ST-Line X Puma. Did anyone here manage to get a solid resolution to it? 

Took it into our local dealer who said they couldn't see any issue... but there blatently is. It's completely inconsistent. Just when you think you have a knack to it and all seems to be working, you'll try again a few hours later and it just won't have it. 

18 hours ago, Ctyldsley said:

We're having the same issue with our new ST-Line X Puma. Did anyone here manage to get a solid resolution to it? 

Took it into our local dealer who said they couldn't see any issue... but there blatently is. It's completely inconsistent. Just when you think you have a knack to it and all seems to be working, you'll try again a few hours later and it just won't have it. 

Yes the dealer fixed mine with a software update.  See my earlier note.  Good luck.

• 3 months later...

Having the same issue, originally was very intermitant but now does not work at all. going into the dealers 16th Feb

Also they are going to look at an issue with the rear tail gate button not functioning unless I have 'shaken' the key fob, this maybe a security measure to stop people capturing codes when the keyfob is still, but damned inconvient when I first get to the car in a morning or after approx an hour, the key fob has gone to sleep, even when in my trouser pocket and walking about. - Anybody else suffering with this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 1:27 PM, dartiss said:

Just got mine and struggled too (wasn't even sure if I had the option).

Anyway, I found a YouTube video which explained it far better than the manual - rather than the grand, sweeping side to side movement, I found a small kick forward and to the side worked and it opens... and closes. Even my 11 year old daughter got it going.

Hey Dartiss - can you point me at the video?

11 hours ago, tallguy said:

Hey Dartiss - can you point me at the video?

I get 100% success by putting my straight leg slowly forward and then slowly back again. No need for any side waving techniques. Just a slow leg forward and back.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club