Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Crashed My Focus

bigsi40

ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Driving to a job interview this morning lovely day, shades on, air con blaring, music cranked up, feeling confident about getting the job, Then a little old lady pulls out of a junction in front of me and my lovely Focus which i've only owned for 3 weeks gets modified by the side of her car :( and i brake my little finger on my left hand :blink:

bigsi40

ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Driving to a job interview this morning lovely day, shades on, air con blaring, music cranked up, feeling confident about getting the job, Then a little old lady pulls out of a junction in front of me and my lovely Focus which i've only owned for 3 weeks gets modified by the side of her car sad.gif and i brake my little finger on my left hand blink.gif

bigsi40

thats what i call seriously bad luck mate any pics of the car is it that bad

Edited by DanGull
Reminder - starred out swear words are treated in the same way as posting the whole word on FOC - don't do it please.

thats what i call seriously sxxt luck mate any pics of the car is it that bad

No pics only got camera phone, front bumper broken and associated lights, bonnet bent, drivers wing and door bent furtunatly the air begs never went off so hoping the insurance will sort it out.

I'm gutted about the car but i'm more gutted about missing my job interview and breaking my little finger it hurts like hell :(

bigsi40

No pics only got camera phone, front bumper broken and associated lights, bonnet bent, drivers wing and door bent furtunatly the air begs never went off so hoping the insurance will sort it out.

I'm gutted about the car but i'm more gutted about missing my job interview and breaking my little finger it hurts like hell sad.gif

bigsi40

they are pretty cheap to fix so most likely the insurance will sort it out

Your lucky, i've seen focus's in scrap yards smashed beyond belief, turned into convertabled etc gutted about the job interview bdw mate lol.

Mike

Depends a lot on what year model it is and market value?

Three years ago I had a car written off with far less damage than that....I actually drove it to the bodyshop, lights all ok and not cracked plus bonnet untouched. The front o/s wing was the only part damaged so I was shocked when it was written off.

The reason? Quite daft really.

Because the wing had been hit it had also damaged the inner wheel arch....and of course on todays cars a lot of electronic bits 'n bobs are all fitted there and that means taking 'em off which means time. And time unfortunately costs money.

If they do write your car off I just hope that you don't have a full tank of fuel in (as I had in mine), because they don't give you anything for that!

Depends a lot on what year model it is and market value?

Three years ago I had a car written off with far less damage than that....I actually drove it to the bodyshop, lights all ok and not cracked plus bonnet untouched. The front o/s wing was the only part damaged so I was shocked when it was written off.

The reason? Quite daft really.

Because the wing had been hit it had also damaged the inner wheel arch....and of course on todays cars a lot of electronic bits 'n bobs are all fitted there and that means taking 'em off which means time. And time unfortunately costs money.

If they do write your car off I just hope that you don't have a full tank of fuel in (as I had in mine), because they don't give you anything for that!

Peice of hose pipe, jerry can and just syphan (dont no how to spell that one) it all back out and when they come outside to see what your doing just grab the can and run off into the night :ph34r:

Mike

it's a 2000 reg by the looks of his sig, I reckon they will right it off.

neighbour had a new door skin and sill replaced cost £1,900 via insurance to repair.

If the OP has a Ford Focus Hatchback 1.8 TDdi Zetec 5dr 2000 (X ) 100,000 miles, it has a dealer price of £1,940

it's a 2000 reg by the looks of his sig, I reckon they will right it off.

neighbour had a new door skin and sill replaced cost £1,900 via insurance to repair.

If the OP has a Ford Focus Hatchback 1.8 TDdi Zetec 5dr 2000 (X ) 100,000 miles, it has a dealer price of £1,940

If thats what the insurance are going to offer for writeing it off i'd be quite happy as i paid less than that for it so will have to wait and see i doubt they will though supposed to be phoneing about collecting it later today or Monday, just waiting for my courtesy car to be delivered the lady on the phone said if they have no 1.6 cars would i be o.k with one with a 1.8l engine i said i think so :rolleyes:

bigsi40

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=340450&l=5f43ff0e35&id=1784490204 Pic of broken pinky :'(

If thats what the insurance are going to offer for writeing it off i'd be quite happy as i paid less than that for it

I'm not saying that, I don't know the model spec, reg, mileage, or condition prior to the crash. So I just took a guess at the latest 2000 reg at average mileage, and it came up with that valuation.

Here pop the actual details in HERE to find out what you could be offered for it

Peice of hose pipe, jerry can and just syphon it all back out and when they come outside to see what your doing just grab the can and run off into the night :ph34r:

Mike

Easier said than done mate! That was my intention but the answer to that is simple.

Immediately you agree the write off with your insurance the vehicle ceases to belong to you and becomes the legal property of the insurance company. My car was inside a bodyshop. I phoned and told them about the fuel (about sixty quids worth at the time), but as they explained to me, even if I could have syphoned it out they could never allow me to do something like that on their premises for pretty obvious reasons!

As can be seen from these photos I took there was very little damage. But it was still written off!

2w6c9w9.jpg1g27i1.jpg

I'm not saying that, I don't know the model spec, reg, mileage, or condition prior to the crash. So I just took a guess at the latest 2000 reg at average mileage, and it came up with that valuation.

Here pop the actual details in HERE to find out what you could be offered for it

Yep i understand that not getting my hopes up as to what will happen just going with the flow got a hire car paid for by their insurance so i'm chilled although it's a 59 plate astra it's not very good car was hopeing for a Focus i really like the new looking one.

bigsi40

Yep i understand that not getting my hopes up as to what will happen just going with the flow got a hire car paid for by their insurance so i'm chilled

I take it from that, that they have accepted liability. Have you got that in writing regards accepting liability.

I only say that because we had a claim against the other side. OK they accepted liability, but the hire car came via a company our insurance had contracted to use. And in the small print, if the claim was found in the other sides favour, we had to pay for the hire car. And the daily rate was horrendous. A rate I'm sure the insurance companies don't settle at when picking up the tab. if not there are plenty on the Web that will do it for you.

Always read the small print, because that is where the important stuff is hidden.

Have you got legal cover with your insurance? if so they will claim back, you excess, any personal losses, [loss of income regards that new career re the job interview :D ]pain and suffering regards you broken finger, and any disability as a result of

although it's a 59 plate astra it's not very good car was hopeing for a Focus i really like the new looking one.

bigsi40

How does the Astra handle [cornering grip, feed back and such]compared to the Focus? Yes I like the latest Focus but I'm letting my head rule my wallet for now.

I didn't get to speek to the other driver i was on the way to hospital before they had cut her out and the police sorted the details out, Yep i got legal cover expecting a call from them monday about my injuries and stuff thought about cancelling it when i had to renew it because of the extra cost REALLY glad i didn't know.

Maybe i'm biased but i just don't like the astra my 10 year old focus has/had better handerling you could push it round the corners quicker and the astra suspension is harder not very comfy over bumps, I don't like the astra switch layout you can't see the symbols on the fan direction switch it's a 1.6l petrol i know my focus was/is a 1.8l diesel turbo so can't really compare engines but the astra seems quite slow on pull away, It's got indicators that at a fick will falsh 3 times think they are called overtake indicators or something.

I know thats not a top gear like report but i just don't like it if i had the money for a new car and had never owned a car and went to test drive a selection there would be no contest between new focus or astra it's almost like the astra was desinged by someone who does not drive poorly laid out switchs and not very comfy driving (no arm rest for your right arm.

Bigsi40

I take it from that, that they have accepted liability. Have you got that in writing regards accepting liability.

When it comes to insurance 'write off's' I think you will find liability is irrespective. It's all down to cost and market value of the vehicle rather than who was at fault. If a company consider the cost of repair to be too high, usually around 30% of the market value, then the chances are it will be written off.

In bigsi40's case from the description of the accident plus taking into consideration the age/value of the car, it sounds very much like a write off job to me. Look at the photos of a car I once owned written off for basically a bashed front o/s wing....everything else was perfect, not even the lights were damaged and it was driven to the bodyshop.

The problem with most, if not all 'modern day' vehicles, is that body panels are far from cheap and the days of panel beating dents and dings out are long gone, not to mention the amount of plastic now used. A good 25% of a Focus body is just plastic.....unfortunately expensive plastic too! Pull the front and rear valance off and you have doors, roof, floor, sills, hatch and bonnet left which are the only metal bits!

• 2 weeks later...

Just had the phone call the cars a write off :-( but they have offered more money for it than i paid so not all bad :-)

When it comes to insurance 'write off's' I think you will find liability is irrespective.

Liability is everything in that it determines who's insurance company foots the bill for you car, their car, and your personal loss and or injury compensation. If your insurance company has to stump up 50K of insurance to replace your car and their car and their losses and injuries, because the accident is your fault. See how that effects you premium come renewal time :rolleyes:

Just had the phone call the cars a write off :-( but they have offered more money for it than i paid so not all bad :-)

Good news that. Funny thing is since the credit crunch happened second hand car values had hardened. I run an 54 plate Volvo S40 for nine months, then sold it on to a dealer in PX for just £190 less than I paid for it.

Good news that. Funny thing is since the credit crunch happened second hand car values had hardened. I run an 54 plate Volvo S40 for nine months, then sold it on to a dealer in PX for just £190 less than I paid for it.

A family member bought an 08 fiesta st in red only done about 11,000 miles etc paied 7800 ish at ford, sold it 3 months later for 8,900 to a young lad from essex haha the market at the moment is brilliant suprised they wrote it off though ive seen 3dr focus's have minor rear end shunts which have damaged the rear 3/4 pannels which from what i can see is a massive pannel and must be expensive.

Ahh well all aside you came better off in the end but are you going to buy another focus :P

Mike

Ahh well all aside you came better off in the end but are you going to buy another focus

If i can find another for the right price needs to be diesel as well i deffinatly will. If i had the money from my compensation i would be looking at getting a lot newer one but i think that will take some time and i need a car pretty quickly.

For a 10 year old car it was the best i had owned, comfortable, well equiped, economical.

Just a shame i only had it for three weeks :-(

bigsi40