Do Not Sell My Personal Information

iPad sticking out of the dash hate it

pragmatix

Is it just me or does anybody else hate the tacky ipadesq screen sticking out of the dash, totally ruins the cars for me, I was thinking of the new Kuga plugin but I can't live with the dash layouts in any of the new fords, so looks like I'll be changing to another manufacturer.

• Like 1

Good luck finding one that doesn't have the same thing.  They all seem to be doing it now.

• Like 2

You'll have to go VW... :wink: 

Volkswagen T-Roc SUV 2020 interior, dashboard & satnav | Carbuyer

But yes, I hate the iPad sticking out of the dash too!  Never even liked the flip up sat navs that started to be common before the iPads.

17 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You'll have to go VW... :wink: 

Unfortunately VW are going the i-pad route too😞

OIP.jpeg

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Unfortunately VW are going the i-pad route too😞

OIP.jpeg

In the Mk8 Golf yeah, it was the T-Roc I showed above, as equivalent to the Kuga.

I can't quite work out how 'iPaddy' it is in the Golf though, it appears to be at the same height as the top of the dash and is actually integrated rather than superglued on as an afterthought? :g:

New 2020 Volkswagen Golf: first prices and specs announced | Autocar

• Like 1

Sadly SEAT haven't followed VWs lead with the new Leon...  :sad:  (Though on a side note, the Leon rear lights are awesome!)

2020 SEAT Leon: engines, tech, price, images and UK on sale date

(PS - Does compressing every image so much really save that much forum space? :unsure: )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

Good luck finding one that doesn't have the same thing.  They all seem to be doing it now.

Looks like Peugeot then😀

54 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

In the Mk8 Golf yeah, it was the T-Roc I showed above, as equivalent to the Kuga.

I can't quite work out how 'iPaddy' it is in the Golf though, it appears to be at the same height as the top of the dash and is actually integrated rather than superglued on as an afterthought? :g:

New 2020 Volkswagen Golf: first prices and specs announced | Autocar

Looks a little more integrated 

Looks like a VW Touran will be the next car similar to the Grand Cmax in size and the sat nav is in the dash, though I might try to by my current cmax from motobility, shame they have discontinued it.

• Like 1

I wasnt a fan at first but I've got used to it.

I always liked the one in my W204 C-class,  It folded out at the press of a button, so when in the dash was smooth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

They seem to be rolling out the "everything controlled by touch pad" theme across all ranges as they are refreshed, though as you rightly say, it's hard to see from pics to what extent they stick up. To paraphrase George Orwell's Animal Farm "all screens are integrated but some screens are more integrated than others"!😀 From what I've seen, the new Audi A3 version seems to be the best of the bunch in that respect.

It's not so much the looks that I hate (though, like Pete, I'm not a fan) but having to control most functions by touch. As regular readers of my ramblings know, I have limited sensitivity in my left hand, from accidental injury in my case but lots of folk have similar issues from various conditions. I can cope with normal switches and buttons, but to alter something on a screen requires me to pull up (safely) and use my right hand to adjust the screen (or use voice control where available - but don't get me started on that one!)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

Looks like a VW Touran will be the next car similar to the Grand Cmax in size and the sat nav is in the dash, though I might try to by my current cmax from motobility, shame they have discontinued it.

What's the final payment like on Motability?  I know quite a few people that have/had Motability cars, but never bought them.  The scheme itself is such good value overall I think I'd put up with a slightly ugly dash for another new car personally though!  :biggrin: 

10 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

They seem to be rolling out the "everything controlled by touch pad" theme across all ranges as they are refreshed, though as you rightly say, it's hard to see from pics to what extent they stick up. To paraphrase George Orwell's Animal Farm "all screens are integrated but some screens are more integrated than others"!😀 From what I've seen, the new Audi A3 version seems to be the best of the bunch in that respect.

It's not so much the looks that I hate (though, like Pete, I'm not a fan) but having to control most functions by touch. As regular readers of my ramblings know, I have limited sensitivity in my left hand, from accidental injury in my case but lots of folk have similar issues from various conditions. I can cope with normal switches and buttons, but to alter something on a screen requires me to pull up (safely) and use my right hand to adjust the screen (or use voice control where available - but don't get me started on that one!)

I hadn't seen the new A3 before but you're right...that does seem the least iPad-like! :biggrin: 

Good point!  Even with fully functional hands I don't think anyone can use touchscreens in cars easily (or safely!) on the move.  I definitely favour steering wheel controls myself!  The other thing I don't like about touchscreens is fingerprints everywhere!  Eurgh...

Manufacturers are all going for the pad type screens now, it's to stop drivers looking down whilst driving and not watching the road.
When I bought my current car I thought I'd dislike the screen sticking up but tbh I'm not fussed by it at all.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Manufacturers are all going for the pad type screens now, it's to stop drivers looking down whilst driving and not watching the road.
When I bought my current car I thought I'd dislike the screen sticking up but tbh I'm not fussed by it at all.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I very rarely look at the screen when driving except a quick chance when a new turn announced, but normally just listen ttomthe audio those in your sight line screens are really distracting 

53 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

What's the final payment like on Motability?  I know quite a few people that have/had Motability cars, but never bought them.  The scheme itself is such good value overall I think I'd put up with a slightly ugly dash for another new car personally though!  :biggrin: 

It's based on market value and as mines a high mileage it might be a good deal, I love this car for its practability more interior space than Kuga nearly the same load length as a Mondeo and easy to get in and out of, the main reason I changed from a long line of mondeo estates oh and I couldn't stand the MK5

• Like 1

If you like the car yes, maybe keep it and look at the Ford extended warranty?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, pragmatix said:

I very rarely look at the screen when driving except a quick chance when a new turn announced, but normally just listen ttomthe audio those in your sight line screens are really distracting 

Press the bottom right button and turn the screen off.

Thr screen on new Fords isn’t a reason to not have one.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MarksST said:

Thr screen on new Fords isn’t a reason to not have one

Yes, as various mentions above, they're all doing it anyway so you still need to decide between cars on other factors.

Trouble with turning the screen off altogether, is that on my car if you do that the time is not displayed anywhdre, which is annoying. On the SEAT I had before you could blank the screen and just have the time displayed, which I often did. (I understand that on later Mk8 Fiestas with later versions of Sync, you can display the time on an otherwise blank screen.)

On 6/26/2020 at 2:56 PM, Guy Heaton said:

I wasnt a fan at first but I've got used to it.

I always liked the one in my W204 C-class,  It folded out at the press of a button, so when in the dash was smooth.

Yes, some Audis did that (or retracted into the dash) which looked neat when you didn't need to access the screen functions.

29 minutes ago, MarksST said:

Thr screen on new Fords isn’t a reason to not have one.

I know how to turn the screen off and in my opinion the screen/ dash layout is a reason not to have a new Ford

• Like 2

Yep you pay your money and you take your choice.  No point sitting in a car you don't like.

• Like 3

My personal preference on these touchpad style screens is this:
I'm not a fan of them. You do have to look at the screen more unless functions are integrated into others such as steering wheel controls. If you go down the climate control route with a new car then you definitely have to look at the screen and play around with it rather than just twist a knob or press a button. At least with knobs or buttons you can feel around and know roughly the right position of the one you want/need.
I also think that these screens are getting lower in the cars. In previous car systems, the screen was either at the same level as your dash display or slightly higher. 
I mush prefer the older style systems with smaller screens which were integrated into the fascia/dash rather than just being stuck on. The bigger the screen, the bigger the distraction, especially when you have to look down for longer than a quick glance. 

37 minutes ago, Nick Y said:

My personal preference on these touchpad style screens is this:
I'm not a fan of them. You do have to look at the screen more unless functions are integrated into others such as steering wheel controls. If you go down the climate control route with a new car then you definitely have to look at the screen and play around with it rather than just twist a knob or press a button. At least with knobs or buttons you can feel around and know roughly the right position of the one you want/need.
I also think that these screens are getting lower in the cars. In previous car systems, the screen was either at the same level as your dash display or slightly higher. 
I mush prefer the older style systems with smaller screens which were integrated into the fascia/dash rather than just being stuck on. The bigger the screen, the bigger the distraction, especially when you have to look down for longer than a quick glance. 

Actually they are getting more in your sight line that's why I don't like them.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club