Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk8 fiesta steering clunk

Tateybread29

Anybody hear this before

We have 2 X Mk8 st line X fiestas and neither make any noise like that.

If it was mine and still within warranty it would be back with the dealer to fix.

its a known issue to Ford already, there is also a technical service bulletin from ford regarding it , if you look down at the end of the steering column near the pedals you will find a sticker with the part number for the column, if it ends with AC then you have the old part, if it ends with AD then this is the updated part that shouldn't have any problem, so I think that you have the old part ( AC ) , Ford knows about it and will replace it under warranty, about half of fiesta mk8 owners here in Egypt got the same issue and had that part replaced.

• Like 1

Do we have access to service bulletins from ford as they seem to keep these things secret. You say there is a problem in Egypt, I wonder is this a world wide thing or country specific. I live in UK. My local trust ford garage is useless.i left the car in and they can hear noise but couldnt diagnose what parts were at fault so I now have to leave car in for a few days.they also tried to update the sync 3 but couldnt work out how to do it. Their service is shocking. I dropped car to them at 1pm and they only started looking at it at around 3pm and phoned me at 4.30pm asking to keep car for a few days which was too short a notice.madness

• Like 1

unfortunately I don't have access to TSBs as they consider it secret also, but they deliberately informed me about the TSB , they say ford knows about it, they replaced the outdated steering column U joint for me and all my friends, over a year now no problems, I suggest that you tell them to check for TSB regarding that issue, may be they are just a bit lazy 😄 ford dealer here in Egypt is really good.

but first things first, check your column part number as mentioned above, keep us updated 🙂 

Sorry to be a pain but is there anyway you could put a photo up of where that part number is.i had a look at mine and there doesn't seem to be any numbers ending in ac or ad? 

Thanks for your help

• Like 1

will take a photo for mine and post it here , my friend this forum is all about helping each other , please no need to say sorry 🙂 we are like brothers and sisters here 🙂 

See the attached photo, u can see the sticker with the part number on it ending with AD, this is the updated part, the old part ends with AC, this is the steering u joint shaft, you can find that location just behind the break pedal, down at the end of the steering column, near the floor, hope this helps 🙂🙂 keep us updated 😊😊

C110FB3C-9D5F-4961-B73D-0C382CF92E93.jpeg

Hey.mine ends in BD lol. Maybe there a few different varieties.thanks for getting that photo for me. It's booked in for a week's time.i suspect this is the fault making that knocking noise

IMG_20200628_140617018~3.jpg

9 hours ago, Tateybread29 said:

Hey.mine ends in BD lol. Maybe there a few different varieties.thanks for getting that photo for me. It's booked in for a week's time.i suspect this is the fault making that knocking noise

Oh I forgot That urs right hand drive , mine is left hand drive, you have a different part number, which i don’t know of course which one is updated and which is not 😁😁 but its better to tell them about it, it may light something in their minds and they go search in their TSBs 😁😁

• 10 months later...

Hi all,

I have the same issue and a Ford garage replaced the steering column/motor. That didn't resolve the issue so thanks to everyone here as it might let me home in on the U Joint instead. The car is going back in next week 😄

On 5/20/2021 at 2:45 PM, CraigestaST said:

Hi all,

I have the same issue and a Ford garage replaced the steering column/motor. That didn't resolve the issue so thanks to everyone here as it might let me home in on the U Joint instead. The car is going back in next week 😄

Just an update on this.

I didn't even have to take the car to the garage. I loosened the bolt at the bottom end of the u joint with a 1/4 drive and socket, which was extremely tight. After that I moved the steering a little then re-tighten until it's too hard to move.

My theory is that it was way overtightened from factory which caused the click noise.

Let me know if anyone would like a more detailed description.

On 6/28/2020 at 2:11 PM, Tateybread29 said:

Did you manage to get this sorted @Tateybread29?

1 hour ago, CraigestaST said:

Did you manage to get this sorted @Tateybread29?

there is an updated part for the steering shaft , for the RHD mk8 fiesta , it ends with BE, the BD part became historical as you can see, may be this is the fix for your issue

Steering Shaft.jpg

10 minutes ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

there is an updated part for the steering shaft , for the RHD mk8 fiesta , it ends with BE, the BD part became historical as you can see, may be this is the fix for your issue

Steering Shaft.jpg

Thanks @Eng_Ahmad1986 I like the diagram that's handy to have, and thanks for your other posts here, it really helped me out in getting to an answer 🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CraigestaST said:

Thanks @Eng_Ahmad1986 I like the diagram that's handy to have, and thanks for your other posts here, it really helped me out in getting to an answer 🙂

Strangely enough my part number is not even BD, maybe due to it being an ST? Though I don't think this part is in any way different for the ST. I've attached a blurry picture

FSUJ.jpg

2 minutes ago, CraigestaST said:

Strangely enough my part number is not even BD, maybe due to it being an ST? Though I don't think this part is in any way different for the ST. I've attached a blurry picture

FSUJ.jpg

BC is far more historical actually -- its BB, BC , BD, then the latest is BE

steering shaft 2.jpg

2 minutes ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

steering shaft 2.jpg

Good to know, my model is an early 2019 so makes sense, thanks again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CraigestaST said:

Just an update on this.

I didn't even have to take the car to the garage. I loosened the bolt at the bottom end of the u joint with a 1/4 drive and socket, which was extremely tight. After that I moved the steering a little then re-tighten until it's too hard to move.

My theory is that it was way overtightened from factory which caused the click noise.

Let me know if anyone would like a more detailed description.

@Eng_Ahmad1986 This also worked 🙂 simply loosening and tightening a bolt at the bottom knuckle. Might work for others too if that's the same issue

• Like 1

great that it worked for you 🙂 

if you ask me I would say stick to the service manual, which says that it should be tightened to 30 NM of torque with a torque wrench , then rotate another 120 degrees after the 30 NM

shaft.jpg

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi, I'm having this exact same issue. My local garage couldn't find any issue with the suspensions, or anything around the wheels/that area. Said it was probably in the steering column and he doesn't touch them so to go to ford. First thing I did was google (should've before I went to my mechanic) and it sounds exactly like this. Just got in my footwell and there's no sticker on either side of my U joint - but given what others have said I'm pretty sure this is it. Mine is a 2017 with about 35k on the clock. It's out of warranty now, so how much roughly is this going to cost me? If I ignore it, will it get worse/ do damage ?

On 3/16/2022 at 2:11 PM, TaZ44 said:

Hi, I'm having this exact same issue. My local garage couldn't find any issue with the suspensions, or anything around the wheels/that area. Said it was probably in the steering column and he doesn't touch them so to go to ford. First thing I did was google (should've before I went to my mechanic) and it sounds exactly like this. Just got in my footwell and there's no sticker on either side of my U joint - but given what others have said I'm pretty sure this is it. Mine is a 2017 with about 35k on the clock. It's out of warranty now, so how much roughly is this going to cost me? If I ignore it, will it get worse/ do damage ?

I know a person who had the same problem and ford replaced the steering column under warranty (1500€+labour) the part had an updated part number and the problem was fixed.

Few months later the knock came back, now he just drives like that and forget about the noise. And the steering lost it's stiff/sporty feeling now it's light feels like a normal car. Don't know what they did when reprogramming.

• 1 year later...
On 5/25/2021 at 1:58 PM, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

steering shaft 2.jpg

Hi - any updates to this part? As we're now in 2023, I just wondered if they've moved on to BF by any chance? I have this clunking issue and would like the most recent part to be fitted by the dealer. Car is a 2019 UK (RHD) Mk8 ST-Line Fiesta (under warranty still, thankfully). Many thanks!

10 hours ago, cheeseburger said:

(under warranty still, thankfully)

If the car is being repaired under Ford warranty then you don't get a say in what parts are used. It is up to Ford to rectify the fault using whatever method and parts that they are satisfied will cure the issue,

Your profile seems to refer to a 2015 Focus ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club