Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jacking points and jack pads / puck

GreyBeard

This is the first time I've had to jack my mk 3.5 ST estate up at the rear.

Previously for the front I've jacked under the front suspension bushing and it's been OK.  I've avoided the sill points for fear of damaging them.

At the rear though, to get an axle stand under the rear suspension sub-frame I can't fit the jack there too, so I had to use the sill, with rather poor consequences for my jack. see pictures

2106502169_IMG_20200627_092850-Copy.thumb.jpg.70c854ff644deb7471f4804d416be490.jpg

Jacked up and down once on each side has finished off the pad!

1106050942_IMG_20200627_092915-Copy.thumb.jpg.a89fe81d9a98dbf30f4ca53b16e52894.jpg

1. Is this normal / safe

2. are there better solutions, better pads?

With the axle stands I always put a bit of wood in between, but when I tried with the jack the sill started to seriously bite into the wood and was worried about damaging the sill. I assumed the pad on the jack would fair better, seemingly not!

The scissor jack supplied with all ford's is designed to jack the sills with no damage. 

58 minutes ago, GreyBeard said:

are there better solutions, better pads?

I've been looking at buying a jack & stands to do more maintenance myself, and yeh those sills are worrying,
I came across these on amazon which seem to be a pretty good solution for jacking up,
61f2q-eQ5rL._AC_SL1281_.thumb.jpg.cf300658ec5c74ca5a2d0e9349b8183c.jpg
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0774H9DTB
although there's not much room to jack up and place an axle stand at the same time with an ST skirt from what I've seen.

If you are the type of person to get the car up a lot, there are some rails that bolt underneath so you can jack it almost anywhere.

• Like 1

I have just bought one of these for my MK4 Focus to give me the option of using a Trolley Jack under the sill jacking point. It does say it is for a Fiesta but the step is the same size as the Ford jack that came with my car and a previous MK2.

s-l400.thumb.jpg.6e2a805300f8e182009db9b20f853fd9.jpg

• Like 1

I use those ice hockey pucks available on eBay. They're about an inch thick and last for a few operations before starting to split. You can buy them with or without being slotted, I've found on the slotted ones that the slot needs to be widened to fit on the Mondeo sills. 

1 hour ago, nicam49 said:

I use those ice hockey pucks available on ebay. They're about an inch thick and last for a few operations before starting to split. You can buy them with or without being slotted, I've found on the slotted ones that the slot needs to be widened to fit on the Mondeo sills. 

Interesting about it splitting. Was it a universal one or a Mondeo specific one that you used?

I went for a stepped one that replicated the size of the jack that came with my car. I haven't used it yet but will do in a few weeks time when I do an oil change. If it splits I will report back.

I've just changed pads and discs on my focus i put trolley jack underneath seal about 30cm back from the mud card and it was secure as when women always ask for 30% extra when their selling anything online so it was solid I put a stand under the wishbone just in case 

23 hours ago, F0CUE said:

The scissor jack supplied with all ford's is designed to jack the sills with no damage. 

The ST doesn't come with a jack or a spare of any kind sadly, it's a can of goo at best!

23 hours ago, RAIDER32 said:

although there's not much room to jack up and place an axle stand at the same time with an ST skirt from what I've seen.

You are right, with the extended sill on the ST, the extended undertray and exhaust shielding there is nowhere really left that can accommodate both the jack and a axle stand.

I might try that Fiesta puck if it fits the Focus as well, seems cheap enough.  When I looked their was nothing specific mentioned, hence this post.

Although, the dedicated set of hard rails might be the best in the long run.  Thanks for all the replies.

16 minutes ago, GreyBeard said:
On 6/27/2020 at 11:51 AM, F0CUE said:

The ST doesn't come with a jack or a spare of any kind sadly, it's a can of goo at best!

Oh yeh tend to forget you don't get the pack in the St as there is no spare wheel or well must be really annoying. 

5 hours ago, GreyBeard said:

4 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Oh yeh tend to forget you don't get the pack in the St as there is no spare wheel or well must be really annoying. 

Not sure if it's only the ST-3's with Premium Audio (boot Sub) and later models without a spare, but my 2015 ST-2 Estate has the jack & space saver kit,
The jack screws onto a plastic mount in the well and the wheel sits over the top.
424877090_2020-04-25STCleaning124113.thumb.jpg.34017930f7b42f7a75783bbab8870674.jpg

42 minutes ago, RAIDER32 said:

Not sure if it's only the ST-3's with Premium Audio (boot Sub) or all later models, but my 2015 ST Estate has the jack & space saver kit,
The jack screws onto a plastic mount in the well and the wheel sits over the top.
424877090_2020-04-25STCleaning124113.thumb.jpg.34017930f7b42f7a75783bbab8870674.jpg

Nice well not too bad for some then love the exhaust on them 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RAIDER32 said:

Not sure if it's only the ST-3's with Premium Audio (boot Sub) or all later models without a spare, but my 2015 ST Estate has the jack & space saver kit,

I can confirm my ST2, a Tit-X and an ST3 with sony gubbins all have the same kit 👍

On 6/28/2020 at 11:56 AM, GreyBeard said:

I was wrong,apologies 😳 it was our mk 2 ST that came with just a can of goo

On 6/28/2020 at 2:13 PM, WireyWhenWet said:

I can confirm my ST2, a Tit-X and an ST3 with sony gubbins all have the same kit 👍

Yep, I should have looked

(I can't edit my original post for clarity now, time limit?)

2 hours ago, GreyBeard said:

I was wrong,apologies 😳 it was our mk 2 ST that came with just a can of goo

Yep, I should have looked

(I can't edit my original post for clarity now, time limit?)

Yeh limited editing unless you contribute or have a higher rank.