Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EGR fault on focus 1.6 TDCI 2009

adefuge1

Hi,

Can someone please help me. I'm desperate!! I had codes P0490, P042F and P1412 showing up on my ODB reader. I looked it up and got told to replace the EGR valve, so i did. I didn't buy a cheap Chinese one, i brought a Haas model. Don't know if this any better but it was best not to buy a cheap one off eBay.

As soon as it was fitted there was a slight improvement but it straight away the engine became inconsistent. One minute it give upto 5-6 bar of turbo boost but turn the car off and on again and it will give a normal happier 15 bar of boost. But like before the replacement, going up a hill is a real challenge out of my small 1.6 engine. I almost forgot to say, I still get the same error codes as before from my reader with EML coming on.

I have heard that you need to clear the 'learnt values' on my ECU as the car compensates for a part that doesn't work properly but I have no idea if this is true or not? If it is true, I have tried cleared the faults of my ODB reader but it still come back. I have also heard a FORSCAN will clear the values but can anyone confirm this for me please? I also heard (and I did think this was a long shot) that if you disconnect the earth lead from the battery but attach a lead between the positive and negative this drain any residual power and the ECU forgets the 'learnt values', but that didn't work either.

Anyone that can help me would be hugely welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

Ade.

Hi,

Your car doesn't know that it has a new EGR valve, 

Much like a desktop computer your new egr valve has to be installed on the vehicle's ecu to allow the ecu control it, it is very silly I agree but very true, the egr valve has a code printed on it which it input to the ECU using the correct software then a calibration of parameters is performed.

Basically you need a garage that does diagnostics to install the new egr valve which has been physically fitted.

• Like 1

Honest to God i would not want a modern car..to much buffoonery...sad i know..

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You're not the only one, I'm sure. I bet quite a few people would fancy a time machine so we could go back 10 years (or more) and order a new car from there!😀

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

You're not the only one, I'm sure. I bet quite a few people would fancy a time machine so we could go back 10 years (or more) and order a new car from there!😀

My 1.6tdci focus is ten years old now, I blanked the egr when it was three months old, hasn't given me any trouble but I live in Ireland where the MOT people are not allowed remove any panels when inspecting the vehicle, as result I've fitted a  engine cover and they csnt see it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just need to reset EGR adaptions with Forscan.  Simple. :smile:

Thank you so much everyone for your replies! So appreciated!

TomsFocus Do you know if Forscan defo works? 

Thanks Lenny I have heard that different valves have different parameters. So what your saying make total sense. Might try Forscan as I was gonna buy it anyway but sounds like an expensive trip to Ford! Which sucks as they will bleed me dry!! Lol 

Thanks again everyone.

Ade  

• Thanks 1

Everyone should get their own code reader (less than twenty quid for something good) and forscan software which is free for windows and about 6 quid for Apple/android app. Absolute bargain for the usefulness of it. Not done the egr thing myself so can’t confirm it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, adefuge1 said:

Thank you so much everyone for your replies! So appreciated!

TomsFocus Do you know if Forscan defo works? 

Thanks Lenny I have heard that different valves have different parameters. So what your saying make total sense. Might try Forscan as I was gonna buy it anyway but sounds like an expensive trip to Ford! Which sucks as they will bleed me dry!! Lol 

Thanks again everyone.

Ade  

Yep, Forscan definitely works to reset EGR adaptions - I can't guarantee that's your only issue though.

As Isetta says, it's really worth getting.  I've been using it for over 5 years and never had to use a Ford dealer! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Yep, Forscan definitely works to reset EGR adaptions - I can't guarantee that's your only issue though.

As Isetta says, it's really worth getting.  I've been using it for over 5 years and never had to use a Ford dealer! 

Your So Moneg Supermarket Tom 👍

I de-wiper'ed my focus and saved €28 per year on service at ford,

Was funny the first time they tried to bill me for a rear wiper when there wasn't even an arm or motor on the boot door 🤣 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Your So Money Supermarket Tom 👍

I'm just poor... :laugh:  There's no way I'd have been able to maintain a car without doing it myself.  Honestly don't understand how normal people afford garage prices...  Then again, I don't know how people can afford fuel and tax on even the smallest petrol's in the Mk2 Focus either. :laugh:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm just poor... :laugh:  There's no way I'd have been able to maintain a car without doing it myself.  Honestly don't understand how normal people afford garage prices...  Then again, I don't know how people can afford fuel and tax on even the smallest petrol's in the Mk2 Focus either. :laugh:

+1 I've had many rants on about my local ford dealership over the years, last time I was in there was 2014 when I gave them €5 extra to purchase a cowboy hat in the local pound shop on there Saturday off work. 

They billed me for tracking alignment and I could get freeview sattelite channels with the angle the face of the rear wheel was at, also tried to bill me for a rear wiper that wasn't physically there 🤣 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club