SiD996

Turbo cutting out :(

Recommended Posts

Hi i hope someone out there can help me

I have a 55 plate 1.6 Tdci focus and shes having big issues 😞

When i accelerate i get good boost all the way to 3000 rpm and then i can here my turbo just cut out , its really hard to explain as i really aint very mechanically minded.

basically when i accelerate i hear a slight woosh noise as turbo kicks in and i get boost, then like clock work when it hits 2900/3100 revs the woosh noise stops and its like ive pulled the hand break up, sudden loss of power and acceleration.

any help would be amazing on this as otherwise shes a good little motor.

there is a bit of smoke but not what i would call excessive. 

thanks

:) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, SiD996 said:

Hi i hope someone out there can help me

I have a 55 plate 1.6 Tdci focus and shes having big issues 😞

When i accelerate i get good boost all the way to 3000 rpm and then i can here my turbo just cut out , its really hard to explain as i really aint very mechanically minded.

basically when i accelerate i hear a slight woosh noise as turbo kicks in and i get boost, then like clock work when it hits 2900/3100 revs the woosh noise stops and its like ive pulled the hand break up, sudden loss of power and acceleration.

any help would be amazing on this as otherwise shes a good little motor.

there is a bit of smoke but not what i would call excessive. 

thanks

🙂

Hi,

I've experienced similar when my fuel filter required changing it used to suddenly lose all power which was quite dangerous when overtaking I'd move up from third to fourth gear and it was like slamming in to reverse.

However that said; the 1.6TDCi is prone to turbo failure; if you haven't changed the oil regularly, or blanked the egr valve or gutted the dpf, then its possible that the oil feed to the turbo has become blocked with carbon which would cause a fluctuation in boost. 

I'd first try fuel filter change; and check for signs of a leaking injector which will show signs of fuel on top of the engine.

Ultimately if it is the turbo then ideally you need to get the sump pan taken off and the carbon removed followed by replacing the turbo and most importantly the oil feed pipe which goes from the sump pan to the turbo, 

Many owners have been caught with a brand new turbo blowing because the oil feed pipe which causes the first turbo to blow due to oil deprivation; hasn't been changed. 

Overall then change the fuel filter and purchase some cheap 10w 30 oil aswell as a can of wynne's engine flush, 

Drain existing oil, put in fresh cheap oil and can of Wynnes, run it as specified on the can, then drain the oil to flush out the carbon 

Then refill with Castrol 5w30 

Hopefully prevent turbo failure.

I've got a ten year old 1.6TDCi currently on factory turbo at 324,000 km as I blanked the egr and gutted the dpf when it was three months old. No carbon recirculated causing cloths in the oil which leed to a blocked artery or in this case blocked oil feed to the turbo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Could be a clogged fuel filter. 

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Hi,

I've experienced similar when my fuel filter required changing it used to suddenly lose all power which was quite dangerous when overtaking I'd move up from third to fourth gear and it was like slamming in to reverse.

However that said; the 1.6TDCi is prone to turbo failure; if you haven't changed the oil regularly, or blanked the egr valve or gutted the dpf, then its possible that the oil feed to the turbo has become blocked with carbon which would cause a fluctuation in boost. 

I'd first try fuel filter change; and check for signs of a leaking injector which will show signs of fuel on top of the engine.

Ultimately if it is the turbo then ideally you need to get the sump pan taken off and the carbon removed followed by replacing the turbo and most importantly the oil feed pipe which goes from the sump pan to the turbo, 

Many owners have been caught with a brand new turbo blowing because the oil feed pipe which causes the first turbo to blow due to oil deprivation; hasn't been changed. 

Overall then change the fuel filter and purchase some cheap 10w 30 oil aswell as a can of wynne's engine flush, 

Drain existing oil, put in fresh cheap oil and can of Wynnes, run it as specified on the can, then drain the oil to flush out the carbon 

Then refill with Castrol 10w30 

Hopefully prevent turbo failure.

I've got a ten year old 1.6TDCi currently on factory turbo at 324,000 km as I blanked the egr and gutted the dpf when it was three months old. No carbon recirculated causing cloths in the oil which leed to a blocked artery or in this case blocked oil feed to the turbo. 

Would that not be refill with 5w 30?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On an older car like that the smoke is probably a result of a few things and may be not really related, but if fuelling is an issue it can be a sign.

Fuel filter is the most common fault, they get gummy and can't supply enough flow through to keep up with the engine, thus the ecu drops power to ensure no damage.

Another thing to check would be MAF sensor, just on the pipework from the airbox - this could be having issues if a little mucky, giving bad signals to the ecu for how much air is going in which in turn causes it to turn off turbo, etc. To prevent damage if its outside of what is expected.

Whilst there, air filter is another to just give a once over - Make sure it seals well and is clean enough; not a difficult one at all to have a look at.

Overall though it does sound fuel related primarily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Would that not be refill with 5w 30?

Yep sorry 5w 30 your right sorry 

I'll edit now thanks for that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks everyone for replies 😀

i shall get me sen down euro car parts see if i can get a fuel filter asap are they easy to do ? lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SiD996 said:

thanks everyone for replies 😀

i shall get me sen down euro car parts see if i can get a fuel filter asap are they easy to do ? lol 

I got an independent garage to do mine as its difficult to bleed air from the lines without thd correct equipment; sucking the line and placing the thumb over the pipe doesn't quite do the trick not even with a packet of Wrigley Extra. Cost me €110 at an independent garage whom also cut open the old one to show me how show polish black it was inside compared to the alter boy white it once was. 

However if you ever need to replacing the turbo free style it out with fitting a hybrid: https://nbstyling.co.uk/product-category/cars/ford/ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What was the fuel price when that video was created 😅 the amount he extracted is worth less than the cost of purchasing that 5 litre Jerry can in today's world.

Also that video should be marked Not Suitable For Work NSFW when hes pumping the turkey baster and the fuel is jumping out 🙈 Dear Lord!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.