Recommended Posts

ive sent a cheque for my road tax to dvla it is due tomorrow but i havnt heard a peep from them cant get them on phone as they say they are busy

is there an extention for tax ? the reason i had to send it of is im disabled so get a reduced rate so i need the car

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did mine online at the weekend but it hasn't updated on the .gov system yet.  Still says it runs out tomorrow so I'll definitely be checking online again in the morning!

There's no Corona extension for tax as far as I know but you'll probably get some leeway with the current situation.  If you need to drive before getting confirmation, just take the chequebook with you and show the stub if you get stopped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is also contact by webchat and email. The webchat should have staff available for support.  Correction the page says its not available 🙄

By webchat

Use the webchat service to contact DVLA about vehicle tax and SORN.

By email

Use the email service to contact DVLA about vehicle tax and SORN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I did mine online at the weekend but it hasn't updated on the .gov system yet.  Still says it runs out tomorrow so I'll definitely be checking online again in the morning!

There's no Corona extension for tax as far as I know but you'll probably get some leeway with the current situation.  If you need to drive before getting confirmation, just take the chequebook with you and show the stub if you get stopped.

thank you was thinking of taking the cheque book

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

There is also contact by webchat and email. The webchat should have staff available for support.  Correction the page says its not available 🙄

By webchat

Use the webchat service to contact DVLA about vehicle tax and SORN.

By email

Use the email service to contact DVLA about vehicle tax and SORN.

i did try the web chat but its a bot and didnt understand the question and ijust used the email service and it says its closed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, mrmetallica said:

i did try the web chat but its a bot and didnt understand the question and ijust used the email service and it says its closed

Yep I corrected my post after realising it. That is bad its not hard for somebody to work webchat/emails from home. I work for the government and we are all working the lines of business from home atm. Cheques from when received should take approximately 3 working days to clear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Yep I corrected my post after realising it. That is bad its not hard for somebody to work webchat/emails from home. I work for the government and we are all working the lines of business from home atm. Cheques from when received should take approximately 3 working days to clear. 

its been about 2 weeks since i sent the cheque . last time i sent a cheque they sent it back the day before it was due,i think my daughter wrote it out wrong so i had to phone and pay the full amount then claim it back pain in the rear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrmetallica said:

its been about 2 weeks since i sent the cheque . last time i sent a cheque they sent it back the day before it was due,i think my daughter wrote it out wrong so i had to phone and pay the full amount then claim it back pain in the rear

Very annoying. 2 weeks is a bit long have you checked your bank to see if the funds have been taken yet? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

perhaps they quarantine the cheques in case they arrive with coronavirus on them. My wife won't touch anything that comes through our letter box until it has been in the house for three days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, isetta said:

perhaps they quarantine the cheques in case they arrive with coronavirus on them. My wife won't touch anything that comes through our letter box until it has been in the house for three days.

Possible and your wife is very sensible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mrmetallica said:

ive sent a cheque for my road tax to dvla it is due tomorrow but i havnt heard a peep from them cant get them on phone as they say they are busy

is there an extention for tax ? the reason i had to send it of is im disabled so get a reduced rate so i need the car


Surely it’s easier these days to just pay for it instantly online rather than send off a cheque by post. Then you just keep the email confirmation after making payment. 
 

As mentioned already check with your bank if they’ve cashed the cheque yet because Post can get lost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I value my local Sub Post Office and try and support them where possible, so I usually do it there. You can pay by cash or card there if you don't want to use a cheque, and get a paper receipt to prove you've paid, though you can check on Gov.uk if your car is taxed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked my sister's car, and hers still shows as due tomorrow as well.  Honestly, I'd just check back tomorrow...  I'll let you know if ours show as having been paid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Hooded said:


Surely it’s easier these days to just pay for it instantly online rather than send off a cheque by post. Then you just keep the email confirmation after making payment. 
 

As mentioned already check with your bank if they’ve cashed the cheque yet because Post can get lost. 

as ive said i have to send of proof of disability so have to post a cheque and the cheque hasnt been cashed yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I value my local Sub Post Office and try and support them where possible, so I usually do it there. You can pay by cash or card there if you don't want to use a cheque, and get a paper receipt to prove you've paid, though you can check on Gov.uk if your car is taxed.

i have to send paper work yo prove im disabled so post office wouldnt work. i dont know why i cant take the paper work to post office and do it would make life easier

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrmetallica said:

 i dont know why i cant take the paper work to post office and do it would make life easier

 

Government systems are not designed to make our lives easier...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Government systems are not designed to make our lives easier...

you can say that again just went on the site to check my tax and it says they are doing maintenence typical

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mrmetallica said:

you can say that again just went on the site to check my tax and it says they are doing maintenence typical

 

Well, as long as they're not using Forscan, you should be OK LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mrmetallica said:

as ive said i have to send of proof of disability so have to post a cheque and the cheque hasnt been cashed yet

Perhaps there trying to cheer you up,

After you wrote it out, put it in an envelope, brought it to the post office and sent it off, 

They can't even cash it. 😭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

There's no Corona extension for tax as far as I know but you'll probably get some leeway with the current situation.  If you need to drive before getting confirmation, just take the chequebook with you and show the stub if you get stopped.

There is no leeway unless there is an official statement to that effect

Taking the chequebook with you would be no good if your registration is read by one of those Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras, unless you intend waving your chequebook at it as well.

Your car will not be taxed until the cheque clears not from when they receive it. Any mistake on the cheque will also mean your car is not taxed and you will not know that until they contact you to tell you.

If you sent the cheque 2 weeks ago it should be taxed by now unless something went wrong

You can use this website link to check if your car is currently shown as taxed

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Carl123 said:

You can use this website link to check if your car is currently shown as taxed

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

It's broken as I said yesterday.  Still not showing as taxed for 2 cars that I am absolutely sure have been paid online and we have e-mail confirmation for.

 

People drive without tax for various legitimate reasons.  Even if you get caught by ANPR (highly unlikely in my experience) you can still challenge it.  In my case, with the email confirmation, in the OP's case with the chequebook stub.  I've driven several cars to MOT without tax, or waiting for the tax system to update on a new purchase, or waiting for a tax disc in the post (remember those!) never been caught once so far...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It's broken as I said yesterday.  Still not showing as taxed for 2 cars that I am absolutely sure have been paid online and we have e-mail confirmation for.

 

People drive without tax for various legitimate reasons.  Even if you get caught by ANPR (highly unlikely in my experience) you can still challenge it.  In my case, with the email confirmation, in the OP's case with the chequebook stub.  I've driven several cars to MOT without tax, or waiting for the tax system to update on a new purchase, or waiting for a tax disc in the post (remember those!) never been caught once so far...

cheers. i remenmber dell boy had tax in post lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It's broken as I said yesterday.  Still not showing as taxed for 2 cars that I am absolutely sure have been paid online and we have e-mail confirmation for.

 

People drive without tax for various legitimate reasons.  Even if you get caught by ANPR (highly unlikely in my experience) you can still challenge it.  In my case, with the email confirmation, in the OP's case with the chequebook stub.  I've driven several cars to MOT without tax, or waiting for the tax system to update on a new purchase, or waiting for a tax disc in the post (remember those!) never been caught once so far...

Works fine for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.