Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus MK2.5 squealing

jack1996

Hello, I have a Ford Focus 1.8L MK2.5 and have owned it for 2 years now. In the last couple of months my timing belt has developed a squeak. I had a new timing belt put on the car when purchased 2 years ago and have only driven 8000 miles since. When I spray water on the belt it stops squeaking temporarily but after a while it comes back. I have recently noticed some plastic has broken off in the below picture and was wonder if this could cause it to squeak. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Upn08dpnbStlaOQSHEh7x2yMIrZG3pYT/view?usp=drivesdk

That looks like the aux drive belt , I would replace the broken pulley and inspect the belt while your doing it 

• Like 1

That pulley needs replacing. The belt will come off without the ridges on the pulley edges. If a bit has broken off then the plastic is probably degrading and it will get worse. You will have a breakdown potentially miles from home.

• Like 1

Thank you, do you know what pulley it is? Is it the tensioner? 

36 minutes ago, jack1996 said:

Thank you, do you know what pulley it is? Is it the tensioner? 

The whole circle you took a picture of you should be able to get one from the scrapyard and I imagine the belt will be damaged also. 

IMG_20200701_143050.png

• Like 1

Do you reckon that is why the belt is squeaking? 

Yes cos it's not true on the pulley it will end up whipping off and your battery will die. 

• Like 1

Thankyou I will get this sorted