Do Not Sell My Personal Information

54 plate Ford Ka Throws code P0117

Florin M

Hello,

I have had the car for about 2 months now and 1 week ago the engine light turned on while I was driving but the car was running ok, so I continued my journey.

I bought a code reader, read the codes and got P0117. I have read a bit about it but I am not sure what to do.

I have tracked the sensor data using the live data functionality and when the engine got up to temperature it sometimes showed 140 deg for a second then went back to normal (90 deg).

I did change the sensor just in case, but the code came back. 

When I clear the codes the engine light comes on when I start the car from hot, but not when a cold start. 

Any ideas what could it be?

Thanks in advance,

Florin

I took a look at the cables again and the exposed part looks ok, but I don't know their condition after they enter the engine wiring loom.

I think I will just live with the engine light on for now, since the car drives fine, even with the fan on full blast.

I also have a good guess what caused this:

2 weeks ago I cleaned up the blower motor as there was some debri that making a horible noise, and to get to that part I had to move the piece of metal that separates the engine bay from the water drains and the wiring loom was supported by the the piece of metal.

I thought that I was gentle enought with the wires, when I was moving them around, but not gentle enought apprently.

• 1 month later...

I have an update on this issue, I will give this  another chance, and try to check the wires because I figured out that my AC is not working as long as the car has that issue.

So if I want to use the AC I will have to find the place were the wire is broken and get it isolated properly.

Has anybody had this issue, before?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been with the car to the garage that fixed my AC and told them the problem and how I tried to fix it. They checked the wiring and it was ok, and then sugested that they want to get the eBay temp sensor replaced with a genuine one since it was reading a little bit high when it wasn't showing 140. 

I thought that it was futile to do that but I agreed since the alternative was something broken with the ECU. After they replaced the sensor the error went away and it's been working for the past 200 miles. Even my AC is working again now that there is no engine light.

This is the broken eBay sensor, if anybody is interested:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-Coolant-Temperature-Sensor-for-Ford-Fiesta-KA-1-3-1-6-Duratec-OE-1089854/254226595245

At least this has teached me something about buying the cheapest replacement part from eBay😆 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club