Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta is doing my head in

Jamie73

Hello,

I have never used a forum before but I am at the end of my rope with my daughter Ford Fiesta 2004 WP 1.6L. It all started when we looked at this car for my daughter. It was tidy and we did all of the normal check. It seemed to run quite well. The next day after we bought it we find that it started really rough on first start. after that it started fine but If you leave it for 5 hours or so it again starts rough.

Things that we have done to try and fix it are:

Change plugs and leads.

Had coil pack tested (ok)

Fuel pump pressure ok

Vacuum hose's test ok

throttle assy checked ok

injectors replaced

Timing has been check (ok)

sensors have been check (ok)

The funny thing is it only starts rough when its cold and it feels like its fuel deprived. My mechanic friend thinks it might be a communication problem from the ECU to the spark plug firing but only on cold starts? I just don't know what to do. She saved up a lot money to by her first car and she has problems starting it. Some days she can't start it.

Can anyone help. Cheers    

EGR valve dirty or clogged up?

I also bought my daughter a Mk6 Fiesta 1.4 TDCi and had problems starting rough. Eventually sold it to someone else (I disclosed all the faults I knew about), turns out there were out faults I didn't know about.

Other people on this forum kindly suggested the EGR, especially if it cleared up once warm. The car also had the yellow warning light come on.

I hope yours isn't as bad as my daughter's was.

Good luck.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I'd try new fuel first, then on a 2004 I wonder what the automatic choke function was like - only required for cold starts that would fit the symptoms.

'automatic choke' ? 2004 won't have a carb would it?  95% certain the fuel system would be much the same as a new car today.

53 minutes ago, isetta said:

'automatic choke' ? 2004 won't have a carb would it?  95% certain the fuel system would be much the same as a new car today.

I think he just means the sensors feeding the ECU adjusting air/fuel ratio for cold starts.

Check the connector that plugs into the throttle body on the engine. Unplug the connector and spray both parts with wd40 and plug it back in. These connectors can get dirty contacts and cause judder problems. You might find the connector under the inlet manifold. I had this problem for years before finding what caused it. Lift up the red tab and pull the connector off from the base. Do not clean the pins with cotton buds or they will bend. My car now drives like new. I ended up soldering the wires and throwing the connector away.

On 7/3/2020 at 6:02 PM, Luke4efc said:

I think he just means the sensors feeding the ECU adjusting air/fuel ratio for cold starts.

Yes, I didn't know the name for it, but something obviously performs the same function for cold starts. Sensor faults are so common and can be a pain to pin down.

I had the same kind of problem with my old 53 fiesta, fixed it by putting a little bit gas on on startup, its a 16 year old car its gonna be a bit temperamental

Check fuel quality

Check air cleaner is clean and MAF sensor

Change fuel filter

Ensure correct grade and quality of oil

Give it a good blow out down the motorway at plus 4500 rpm for at least 5 minutes (60-70 MPH 3rd gear)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club