Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is the FordPass App just a trendy waste of time?

Linds

I hope to shortly take delivery of a new (manual) Focus Titanium.

I have done some reading about FordPass (this will be my first Sync 3 car) and I have to say I'm not that impressed!  I can't fathom how this piece of software is actually going to benefit me.  Don't get me wrong ... I love my smartphone, technology whatever ... but I only use apps that really save me time, money or hassle!

So, if I ignore FordPass altogether ... what will I be missing out on?

• Like 1

It's a fair question.

It shows you fuel level, miles to empty, odometer, VIN.  All of these you can get in the car itself.  Used to show oil life, not any more.

Lets you lock and unlock and remote start to warm up the car.  I have disabled remote start anyway, and we still have these things called keys.

Lets you quickly check your credit account, quicker than logging into Ford website I guess.

The only really useful thing I think is the vehicle location, could be handy if you're on holiday and cant remember where you parked.  

• Like 1

My main use is remote engine start in winter. (Auto only) , great feature.
I had a slow puncture last week, maybe wouldn’t have noticed it as quick if I hadn’t got the alert to my phone. Also radar/lidar needing cleaned warning. 

I like the app. 

• Like 1

Why disable remote start? 

I still have oil life. And estimated date /distance for oil change.

you might not miss much but if it costs nothing and alerts you to possible problems with the car then why not have it. 

• Like 1

One less hacking vector.

Don't have oil life anymore in mine.  I am on the latest version, 10th June

Apple?

ive not had an update

No, android.  It used to be in there but I'm not sure when it got removed.

I am using the latest Android app 3.3.0 and its not showing oil life on that version.

I am sure it was there on the previous app version.

Also, correct me if I am wrong but i believe you need the Ford Pass app to enable the 2 year complementary 'Live Traffic' Subscription and if required the Wi-Fi Vehicle Hotspot.

• Like 2

The Apple one seems to have way more features.

Android no longer has tyre pressures, or oil life, and it doesnt send alerts, unless I just haven't had any.

I really don't use it at all.  Used it once against the missus car to activate the connected features and that's all.

• Like 1

I have the app for my Fiesta. I am on android and i still get oil life and tyre pressures.

Well that's interesting.

if I look at the Fiesta I can see tyre pressures, but not if I look at the Focus.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

if I look at the Fiesta I can see tyre pressures, but not if I look at the Focus.

Thats rather strange

I have an auto Focus so think the app is brilliant. Cold mornings? Start the car up via the app so it has warmed up and ready to go, the opposite in Summer.

I used in lockdown to keep the battery topped up.

I use it to see how many miles I have done each month.

I use it to send locations to the SatNav. Look it up indoors and it transfers when I get in the car.

It sends me an instant alert if the alarm goes off.

Really good thing, I would miss it if it wasn't there. I have the latest version and it shows oil life in % as well as expected date, tyre pressure, mileage and fuel.

I really do like FordPass, but not entirely sure it would be as good on the manual as remote starting is the headline feature for me.

Stuart.

2019 Focus ST Line X 182 auto.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, PLB said:

I am using the latest Android app 3.3.0 and its not showing oil life on that version.

I am sure it was there on the previous app version.

Also, correct me if I am wrong but i believe you need the Ford Pass app to enable the 2 year complementary 'Live Traffic' Subscription and if required the Wi-Fi Vehicle Hotspot.

You do I've just been asked to renew the subscription it was free, I'm not bothering live traffic is free on google maps.

• Like 1

Guys

Thank you all for your replies ... much appreciated. 

I'm not going to bother with the app.  But I do agree with SDHXIII - if I had gone for an automatic, then I'd have had to try the feature of starting the car via the app.  I did think about this but in the end couldn't face life without a gear stick in the car!!

In my car I am the Wi-fi hotspot with 100GB per month data bundle included on my phone so there's plenty of capacity for most occasions.

I live in the sticks so most of the time Live Traffic is not an issue.  Added to which I'm looking forward to testing out some phone based satnav options, Waze for example.

Thanks again.

Lindsa

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

Well that's interesting.

I get tyre pressures Showing on my Focus app.

3 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

It's a fair question.

It shows you fuel level, miles to empty, odometer, VIN.  All of these you can get in the car itself.  Used to show oil life, not any more.

Lets you lock and unlock and remote start to warm up the car.  I have disabled remote start anyway, and we still have these things called keys.

Lets you quickly check your credit account, quicker than logging into Ford website I guess.

The only really useful thing I think is the vehicle location, could be handy if you're on holiday and cant remember where you parked.  

Am I missing something on mine. I can unlock but don't seem to be able to remote start from my app 

4 hours ago, Alex.S said:

My main use is remote engine start in winter. (Auto only) , great feature.
I had a slow puncture last week, maybe wouldn’t have noticed it as quick if I hadn’t got the alert to my phone. Also radar/lidar needing cleaned warning. 

I like the app. 

Just got a new auto focus and was wondering how this works for the climate settings - I saw there are 2 options on the car settings auto and last used, I assume last used simply sets the climate to what it was when I last used the car, but do you know how the auto works?

Its a shame no settings for the windscreen heaters etc but guess could come with an update.

Personally I wouldn't waste the fuel sitting on the drive idling.

1 hour ago, Kerry77 said:

Am I missing something on mine. I can unlock but don't seem to be able to remote start from my app 

Remote engine start/stop only works with Automatics.

If yours is an auto it should give you the option in the app.

3 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

The Apple one seems to have way more features.

Android no longer has tyre pressures, or oil life, and it doesnt send alerts, unless I just haven't had any.

I really don't use it at all.  Used it once against the missus car to activate the connected features and that's all.

Tyre pressures and oil life (21%) showing on Android. 

Wish id not bothered now as im concerned why oil life is only at 21% it was serviced in March at 7443 miles. Currently at 8226 miles. 

According to my handbook if you don't activate the App then you should switch on connectivity settings using the touch screen to benefit from over the air system updates.

Tyre pressures have disappeared from my Android App also, version 3.3.  

43 minutes ago, PLB said:

Remote engine start/stop only works with Automatics.

If yours is an auto it should give you the option in the app.

Ahhh thanks. I'm so crap at all this lol 

Maybe I've set something on the car different cos some of you guys seem to have way more info in your app.

Ah well.

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

Personally I wouldn't waste the fuel sitting on the drive idling.

Ford spend billions on tech to reduce emissions and these guys are cold idling thier cars in the driveway for half an hour instead of putting a jumper on!!  :laugh: :tongue:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club