Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car stolen, recovered, need new door lock, ignition and key

DarrenNewsgroup

My daughter had her 2009 Mk7 Ford Fiesta stolen but fortunately recovered a few days later due to a kind person phoning the police as the thieves tried to hide the car. The thieves know my daughter's address and have one of her keys. Therefore, I need a new driver's door lock, ignition lock (barrel?) and key for these locks.

I have seen a YouTube video that shows replacing the driver's door lock and it looks easy (remove rubber grommet, undo Torx bolt, remove lock, insert new lock, redo Torx bolt, refit grommet). What I haven't found is a reliable video that shows the ignition lock replacement. An auto locksmith said that if I did it wrong it would be a disaster. Not sure if the job is fiddly or he is just trying to frighten me to get him to do the job. I am not stupid and I can follow instructions from forums/videos if the only tools required are spanners/screwdrivers/etc.

He quoted about £250 to supply/fit driver and ignition locks. This is on top of the expected cost of him deleting the 2 old keys (one my daughter has and one the thief has) from the ECU(?), coding the key that would come with the locks and supplying/coding a 2nd key.

I have found a key lock, ignition lock and a 3 button remote key for about £75 so this is a big saving for my daughter. Are there different models of locks/key for a 2009 Mk7 Fiesta or are they all the same?

Can anyone help with instructions/video? Can anyone recommend an auto locksmith in the Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire area? Is £150 for a new key plus coding 2 keys and deleting the old keys seem reasonable price?

Thanks

Darren

don't know if prices good or not. Can someone who is expert on Forscan advise if this can be used for the key programming / deletion. I used Forscan on a 2008 Focus to program a 2nd key when the car only came with one key. I can't remember if it could delete the 'lost' key or not. 

If you have a good fault code reader eg. from tunnelrat electronics amongst other for under twenty quid, and then get Forscan software (free) and get the extended licence (free) needed for key reprogramming, and have windows laptop to operate that software then you might be able to do it cheap, but need someone more expert on Forscan to advise if it can delete a lost key and if it is compatible with 2009 fiesta key programming. 

the £20 spent on fault code reader is money well spent anyway because of the usefulness of this in the future on cars in general. 

• Thanks 1

For 150 your paying for his knowledge and equipment and his time , I don’t think it’s that unreasonable to be honest especially if he’s mobile . My local ford garage charges that an hour minimum .... the locks are all the same just make sure you get the same style of remote . Why don’t you fit the door lock have a look at the ignition if it’s too fiddly get him to fit it and programme it at least if he ***** it up it’s his repair costs 

• Thanks 1

A good autolocksmith should be able to rebuild new locks to match your original keys. I've had it done in the past. Also the ignition lock is tricky to remove and requires the right tools and knowledge.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, isetta said:

don't know if prices good or not. Can someone who is expert on Forscan advise if this can be used for the key programming / deletion. I used Forscan on a 2008 Focus to program a 2nd key when the car only came with one key. I can't remember if it could delete the 'lost' key or not. 

If you have a good fault code reader eg. from tunnelrat electronics amongst other for under twenty quid, and then get Forscan software (free) and get the extended licence (free) needed for key reprogramming, and have windows laptop to operate that software then you might be able to do it cheap, but need someone more expert on Forscan to advise if it can delete a lost key and if it is compatible with 2009 fiesta key programming. 

the £20 spent on fault code reader is money well spent anyway because of the usefulness of this in the future on cars in general. 

That's worth knowing as my other daughter has a 2009 Mk7 Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi as well. Thanks

14 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

A good autolocksmith should be able to rebuild new locks to match your original keys. I've had it done in the past. Also the ignition lock is tricky to remove and requires the right tools and knowledge.

There is no point building locks around the original key as the thief has one of the keys as well.

What tools and knowledge do I need for the ignition lock? If it is too tricky then the current auto locksmith won't fit parts that he did not supply.

29 minutes ago, Gaz0000000 said:

For 150 your paying for his knowledge and equipment and his time , I don’t think it’s that unreasonable to be honest especially if he’s mobile . My local ford garage charges that an hour minimum .... the locks are all the same just make sure you get the same style of remote . Why don’t you fit the door lock have a look at the ignition if it’s too fiddly get him to fit it and programme it at least if he ***** it up it’s his repair costs 

I think £150 is reasonable and he will come to my daughter's place. He got in to my other daughter's VW when she locked the only key in the car and was very friendly and professional. It is just a big jump up to £400 that my daughter can't really afford. Dad just trying to keep her costs down. He also won't repair my *****-up, nor fit parts that he didn't supply. I understand that.

It looks as fitting the ignition lock is the stumbling block in this whole sorry saga.

I admit that I know nothing about how to change the ignition lock on that model. I have done some on older cars (eg. cortina/granada) , on those: remove plastic shroud around streering lock, put key in lock, turn to a certain position, then press the retaining pin/tab in with a screwdriver and pull the barrell out. I seem to think it was only a few minutes job. I would have thought it would be similar. I don't think the principle of these locks has really changed other than the addition of the sensor for the chip in the key. 

• Thanks 1

Looking at haynes manual for mk6 fiesta, possibly same as yours.  remove shroud, disconnect plug, unclip and withdraw the chip receiver. put key in, turn to position I, depress two locking pins, if you are looking into key hole it looks like one is about 10 o'clock position, and one at 3 o'clock., then pull barrell out by pulling on key. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, isetta said:

Looking at haynes manual for mk6 fiesta, possibly same as yours.  remove shroud, disconnect plug, unclip and withdraw the chip receiver. put key in, turn to position I, depress two locking pins, if you are looking into key hole it looks like one is about 10 o'clock position, and one at 3 o'clock., then pull barrell out by pulling on key. 

Thanks for that. Does the manual say anything about removing the battery and letting the airbag capacitors discharge (15 minutes)? I have heard that is a wise step but disconnecting the battery for a long time always seems to run the risk of need to recode the radio and other stuff, but if I really need to then I will. Don't want to set off the airbag, but then i shouldn't be anywhere near it.

Different key type on the Mk7 but the barrel is removed in the same way.  very simple when you have the key...not so much when you're trying to remove one with a snapped blade in it lol.

There's no airbag risk from doing this but the immobiliser won't be happy with the pickup ring unplugged.  It might be fine once plugged in again but personally I'd disconnect it just in case.  The Mk7 has no radio code, you will just need to reset the one-touch windows if it has them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Good news. I bought an ignition lock, door lock, genuine remote key for the 2 locks off eBay. This key looked better than my daughter's key! Once that arrived I got another key blade cut to fit that lock off eBay and fitted it to my daughter's existing key fob. I also bought the recommended OBD2 reader from TunnelRat. I also got ForScan for an old Windows laptop.

I successfully managed to fit the locks, reprogrammed the remote control to the 2 keys and then used the OBD2/ForScan to add the new remote key to the car.

Total cost £69, result.

Thanks for the advice guys/gals.

Darren

• Like 2

The other good thing is that ForScan showed no DTC codes which is nice to know.

The next problem is no reversing lights. Light bulbs are OK, fuse 3 behind glove box is OK, next to try is the reversing light switch. Oh well time to get dirty under the bonnet.

Darren

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club