Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Oils

FredBocq

Hi guys Im a Ford Fiesta 1.0L 2015 owner in Taiwan

Been digging around for other engine oils that meet the owners manual  supplied by the dealership when I brought the car.

here on the manual it states to use the 5W-30 or WSS-M2C913-C / ACEA A5/B5 oil

can anyone here give advice on this? 

I would like to know if i could switch to either one of these in the future

1. Castrol EDGE 0W-20 Full Synthetic Motor oil 946ML 

2. Castrol EDGE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor oil 946ML

3. Mobil-1 ESP 5W30 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil 1L

now on the back none of these oils list the Ford recommended codes... 

thank you so much 

I don't know for certain, but I have an opinion. 🙂

The trend for really thin oils is more about delivering very low emmisions and better fuel economy than protecting the engine. I have changed my car (Octavia vRS 2018) from 0-20 to 0-30 using an oil that meets VW spec for that grade.

I am tempted to do the same on the Fiesta when I do an oil and filter change soon.

Anyone got any thoughts?  Also is there a how to on oil change on the EcoBoost or is it straight foreward?

Thanks

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

in the UK the manual states you have to use 5W-20 oils which meets WSS-M2C948-B spec for the Ecoboost engine. I understand Ford uses Castrol oils. I obviously don't know what it states in Taiwan. It bight be different due to the climate over there.

I don't know about Fords, but my previous VAG car was very specific with oils you could use. If you didn't use the correct viscosity (5W-40) which met or exceeded, the correct VAG spec, (505.01), it  would cause high camshaft wear as diesel injectors were powered by the cam (PD engine).

Ford dealer here in Egypt uses Motorcraft  5W-20 engine oil with specs WSS-M2C945-B1 for 1.0 ecoboost, despite the climate here is hotter than UK , doesn't this seem strange ?!!!

Thux guys

its all quite confusing. looks like more digging around is required.

guess better to stick to manual specific oil grades for now.

6 hours ago, FredBocq said:

Thux guys

its all quite confusing. looks like more digging around is required.

guess better to stick to manual specific oil grades for now.

It's not confusing at all. Just stick to exactly what it states in YOUR manual and you won't go far wrong. 5W-30 is the viscosity grade (thickness to you and me, shear strength to the more technically minded) appropriate for YOUR engine. WSS-M2C913-C / ACEA A5/B5 is the quality specification for YOUR engine. It's no use listening to people with more modern engines. They are designed to run on lower viscosity grades, yours is not. Castrol Magnetec will meet your needs, but it MUST be the correct viscosity AND specification as per YOUR manual. Unless you're running your car outside it's intended use and you know exactly what you are doing, don't listen to anybody else, just stick to EXACTLY what it says in YOUR manual.

• Like 3

On 7/5/2020 at 9:25 AM, fiestaecoboostman said:

I don't know for certain, but I have an opinion. 🙂

The trend for really thin oils is more about delivering very low emmisions and better fuel economy than protecting the engine. I have changed my car (Octavia vRS 2018) from 0-20 to 0-30 using an oil that meets VW spec for that grade.

I am tempted to do the same on the Fiesta when I do an oil and filter change soon.

Anyone got any thoughts?  Also is there a how to on oil change on the EcoBoost or is it straight foreward?

Thanks

I dont wish to come across as rude or insulting but what you are talking about doing is just silly. There is no way Ford would put a engine into production without fully testing a numer of oils to get beft efficency and engine life. I know for a fact that they run engines in a load cell at full chat for days at a time to simulate a life time of use before disassembling and inspecting everything. All manufactures will do a similar thing as it helps catch issues before going into mass production. The oil recomended for the 1.0 for use in UK climate is 5/20w which is the viscosity of the oil basicly its thickness / how runny or not it is. Manufactures have been using thinner oils over the last 10 years or so as the technology for making oil has got better and better which has allowed then to use lower viscositys as the shear strength is much better than it was years ago. The best way I can explain shear strength is if you rub the palms of your hands together then will get hot this is friction, if you do the same thing again with oil inbetween the friction is removed so they will not get hot and its less effort for you. This in a crude sense is what your engine oil is doing inside your engine. Thicker oil in a climate where a thiner oil ir required will just give the oil pump a harder job to do and it will not really provide anymore protection to your engine. I have been using the Ford recomended Castrol oil in my car since new and all I do to give the best protection is change it more often every 10,000 rather than 12,500 my car is also re mapped and revs to 7000 which is 500 over stock and at 60,000 I have no issues. I recently checked my cylinder bores with an endoscope and you can still see the cross hatches from when the engine was honed on the production line. I can understand that it is very tempting to want to upgrade things on your car as you care about is but trust me its not worth messing with something that a lot of engineers have poured hours of time into trying to get the best outcome for emissions and reliability.

• Like 3

I'm just another random guy on the internet who believes the manufacturers do compromise on engine life because they have other agendas to meet, fuel economy / emissions etc and that their choice of oil is never about maximum engine life.

Personally in an ecoboost 1.0L / 1.5L and 1.6 (not so ecoboost...) engines id be looking at an API-SN+ / Dexos 1 Gen 2 oils, either 5W/20 or 5W/30. I'm a big fan of Shell "PurePlus" oils.

If you are not sure stick to the manual recommendation and use any oil that meets the ford spec.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did some reading and found out that the user hand book here is translated wrong!!! 

The dealers either couldn't translate the complete hand book due to language barrier or they let it slip.

basically my Taiwan hand book was missing the line where it says "alternate oil 5w-30 except 1.0 engine"

ordered my self the recommended oils.

not sure if the wrong oil use caused an ER1401 code...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club