Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

If Reg changed is hpi waste of time?

spagball

Currently trying to buy a Focus going to do some hpi checks but if an unscrupulous owner changes the number plate on a car legally will any hpi checks on the new number plate only show history from when the car got its new number plate? i.e. all history possibly bad from old (original) plate will be lost? 

Have you looked on the HPI website to see what they say about this?

The history stays with the VIN number, not the plate.

However, I have an interesting story about this, though not quite what you're asking.

Basically, I was selling a 15 year old car and a buyer contacted me to say they'd done a HPI and found it had been written off!  I was sure it hadn't so asked him to forward me the information.

It turned out the car previously had a private plate.  And that that plate had at one point been on a written off vehicle.  That vehicle was a different make to the one I was selling, the buyer just hadn't read it properly.

Definitely caused me some stress that day lol! :laugh:

Interesting so it's the VIN that's the important part thanks