Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Oil ?

PeterBfd

Hi All,

Quick question, my Edge has indicated that the oil needs topping up.

However, which oil do I need, I am guessing The Stop Start 0W-30 (and Castrol as Ford tend to use this)

Am I correct or will any 0W-30 do.

Thanks

Hi All

I have always gone more with the viscosity of the oil rather than brand names.

Happy motoring

Stay safe

Dave

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Got the 0W30 oil and topped the level up....

The level was at the minimum mark, I have put a full 1 litre in it now and it is now at the middle mark.

However, it still says oil level low so have now bought another 1 litre.

Is this normal, usually when topping up cars usually take about half litre or so and all is well.

Not with the Edge, its gulping it down just to top up

I left mine at around the mid mark. I found that approx a year after the first service it needed a bit of oil so topped it up to the mid mark. Coming up to the 1 year mark since service in a few months and oil level is about a third from min to max on the dipstick.

No harm in it being on the low side (above the min mark!!) but quite possibly harmful if you over fill it so don't put too much in.

• Like 1

Hi All,

I have now topped up my oil and it on the Max line.

However, The car still beeps and say low oil ???

Is there a reset I don't know about or is it sounding like a replacement sensor is needed?

20 minutes ago, PeterBfd said:

Hi All,

I have now topped up my oil and it on the Max line.

However, The car still beeps and say low oil ???

Is there a reset I don't know about or is it sounding like a replacement sensor is needed?

First, do you have a manual for your car, or other means of finding out what your warning lights mean and what type of oil you need? It would definitely help. The oil warning light is often an indication of LOW PRESSURE, not low level. If you wait until the low pressure light comes on the oil level will usually be well below minimum. That might explain why you needed an excessive amount of oil to top up. So I would suggest finding out what the warning light actually means, and check your oil level manually at least once a week to see whether you have a real problem or not.

1 hour ago, Waggy said:

First, do you have a manual for your car, or other means of finding out what your warning lights mean and what type of oil you need? It would definitely help. The oil warning light is often an indication of LOW PRESSURE, not low level. If you wait until the low pressure light comes on the oil level will usually be well below minimum. That might explain why you needed an excessive amount of oil to top up. So I would suggest finding out what the warning light actually means, and check your oil level manually at least once a week to see whether you have a real problem or not.

It is not a warning light, it is a message that comes up say "oil level low" top up.

32 minutes ago, PeterBfd said:

It is not a warning light, it is a message that comes up say "Oil level low" top up.

If it is actually indicating low level, and that's not 100% certain for now, then the sensor might be at fault, wouldn't have thought you need to reset it. But it still seems you had to use a larger amount of oil to top up than would be expected, which might indicate another problem. Are you sure the oil was at the minimum mark when you first checked and that you needed a full litre of oil just to bring it up to the middle? Again, your manual should tell you how much oil is required to top up between minimum and max, so you can check if the amount is reasonably correct. If it all checks out, it seems to narrow it down to the sensor. In answer to your first question, any old oil will NOT do. It needs to be the correct viscosity grade AND specification as per YOUR manual. It doesn't have to be the same manufacturer, as long as it's the same viscosity and Ford spec.

Not sure if engine oil level low warning is the same, but find the low washer fluid and low tyre pressure warnings sometimes take a while to clear once washer topped up/tyre pumped up

4 hours ago, Trent Edge said:

low tyre pressure warnings sometimes take a while to clear once washer topped up/tyre pumped up

Tyre pressure warnings need resetting (option in the cluster) after you've pumped the tyres to the correct pressure! It doesn't reset itself. 

Washer level warning goes out straight away once (within a few seconds) once I've filled up the tank. Maybe you've got a sticky level float sensor.

Strange... my front left tyre goes down slowly and I get a warning with the symbol pop up every few months and after a while, don't pay much attention, it just clears itself

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club