Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil service light

Maryann

Hi my 09 Ford Focus oil light showing up when I start my car only checked oil level 2 days ago a little low but now I noticed oil on ground do I need to take car to garage if so how much would it cost to fix 

• Like 1

Check the oil drain plug is tight at the bottom of the sump. A 13mm spanner clockwise and hand tight should be enough. Also, clean under the engine with a damp soapy rag so it is clean and dry, and you can then see where the oil is coming from. Don't forget to clean the oil filter and try turning it by hand clockwise to  check it's tight. Use jacks under the car for safety and a strong light will help.

On 7/6/2020 at 3:30 PM, Maryann said:

Hi my 09 Ford Focus oil light showing up when I start my car only checked oil level 2 days ago a little low but now I noticed oil on ground do I need to take car to garage if so how much would it cost to fix 

Hi Welcome

Many places oil could be weeping from, if it's not simply a loose sump nut.  Like Kevin says wipe all the engine, and underneath so it's clean, then look the next day.

Daft question but is the oil cap on properly?

As to cost, a lot of oil weeps are caused by perished gaskets on seals but it all depends where  it is so it's impossible to say until you've found the weep.

That said if oil is coming out so fast it sets the light off is there a hole in the sump?

What engine? There’s so many places an oil leak can happen. When my fiesta leaked oil it was because it needed the sump bolts doing up tighter. My brothers focus is leaking oil quite a lot from the vacuum pump (1.8tdci) . If not leaking long it might be easy to see where from. But if the oil has gone everywhere it might all need cleaning to see where it starts reappearing

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club