Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk6 Fiesta

Alex Lovelady

Hi guys I’m looking to buy a Mk6 Fiesta for a new driver can anyone give me any tips on what engine to go for and what to look for. Thanks 

Hi guys I’m looking to buy a Mk6 Fiesta for a new driver can anyone give me any tips on what engine to go for and what to look for. Thanks 

Depends on what kind of mileage the new driver is going to do, the 1.6 tdci is decent for higher mileage users who will do plenty motorway miles, if at all possible avoid the 1.25 as it’s a bit sluggish, but the 1.4 is a is fine with the little bit extra power and insurance should be not too bad, petrol consumption should be around 35-40mpg and around 50-55mpg’s for the diesel. Also try and go for more than the base models (studio or style), and aim for a Ghia or LX, they will give you far more extras, like heated front screen, air con, leather interior, some have electric folding mirrors too. Hope this helps

The 1.2 isn't bad for a new driver if only planning on keeping it for a couple years. Sure it's not the fastest thing in the world, but it's cheap to run and insure. The cost of the car probably won't be the issue, it'll be the stupid insurance premiums. Depending on where you live, the milage you say you'll do, job title and engine will massively affect the cost of insurance. Oh and men usually pay more too, not sure how that isn't sexist 🤷‍♂️.

Just a thought - are we actually talking about what is normally referred to as a Mk 6 on here, ie a 2002-2008 model? I would try and get a new driver into something a little newer than a 12-18 year old car.

Whichever, I would think a 1.25 would be fine. Sure, it's not fast but it is very nippy in town and can be a lot of fun to drive and will certainly teach optimum gearchanging. There are loads around to choose from and as Luke mentions, insurance should be a little cheaper.

My daughter drives our 1.25 as a new driver. It's more than fast enough. New drivers can lose their license if the get caught speeding and get 6 point. This includes texting while driving. The first 2 years you must stick to the speed limits and don't have you phone on while driving. 

I'm now passing it onto her as it still drives well. 

as above, you didn't give us much to go on with regard to budget, use (town - motorway), annual mileage, age of driver or if luxury is a must.   I had a 2007 1.6tdci, I thought it was brilliant performance and excellent economy.  The 1.4tdci is good too.  £30 road tax on the diesels. And higher mpg.  But the diesels are a bit more problematic if they start going wrong. and most you find will be high mileage as people mainly tend to only pay the higher purchase price if they will do high miles and hence save on fuel cost.  1.25 petrol engine are relatively trouble free and go forever as long as timing belt is changed when needed.  These are good cars.  The number one luxury item I would want on one is the quickclear front windscreen. if the new driver wants to upgrade the stereo it's much easier to do on the mk6.5 (mk6 facelift) than the original mk6 as dash / radio different.  To identify Mk6 has front indicators in top of headlamps, mk6.5 has front indicators in bottom of headlamps.  roughly mk6 2002-2005, mk6.5 2005-2008. 

Hi. 

If you need any help with insurance at all for whatever model you're looking at then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club