Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeal after Disc/pad renewal?

spagball

I changed the discs and pads on my focus recently and now they squeal terribly on both sides but only when I'm going around corners, when I'm on a straight road there is no noise? The car has 100000mls up and I think this is the first disc change I'm a diy mechanic but I know I did everything correctly plus lubricated all necessary parts.

All I can think is that I didn't clean all the rust off all the parts with a wire brush before installing the new discs and pads? Any ideas? 

Is this constant or just when you start off in the morning? When you say you greased them what did you use and where? Did they come with anti squeal shims and what type of pads did you use? 

This sound is constant throughout the day but only on corners. I used copper grease on the pins and at the back of the pads. Sorry don't know what anti squeal shims are or what make the pads are just got them from a motor factors

Anti squeal shims come with some pads they are like a template that go on the pad backing plates to stop the squealing. If they are cheap brake pads they will squeak. You can try some brake cleaner just incase the pads are contaminated. I would go and get some ceratic grease and clean off all that copper grease with some brake cleaner as copper grease can't withstand high temperatures and the pads may bind in place and it can affect ABS.

Thanks for info will try ceramic grease, can I spray brake cleaner everywhere around the brakes or should I try and not put on the pad surface? Re copper grease the motor factors gave me this stuff (see pic) I didn't use it cause I had an old tub of copper grease in the garage but maybe the old copper grease I used isn't the same formula as the stuff in picture?? Completely flying blind here! 

IMG_1423.JPG

Also am I putting grease in the right place? Or should I cover the calipers and everything with grease?

On the backing plates where metal on metal touches. You can literally soak the brakes in brake fluid as it just evaporates. 

My advice would be to strip down each side, clean off any grease and make sure all the mating surfaces are free of rust and crud. 

I use ceramic grease for the pads and a special synthetic grease for the pins/sliders. 

• Like 2

Copper grease is perfectly fine to use on the back of the pads and on the piston mating surfaces, also on the pad's ears. But a big no-no on the pins. If one of the pins also has a rubber bush on it (called anti-vibration bush) then mineral grease will make it swell up and become sticky which will cause the caliper action to jam up. My Bosch calipers have these, not sure about yours. If when you strip them down again, you find that yours have this bush then you can get replacements from Bigg Redd. As said above, only lube the pins with silicon grease. Also, yes, best practice is to clean everything up with wire brush when changing disks and pads. Make sure to get rid of all the copper grease from where the pins go. Degrease with meths or something similar. Let us know how you get on! 

1 hour ago, nicam49 said:

Copper grease is perfectly fine to use on the back of the pads and on the piston mating surfaces, also on the pad's ears. But a big no-no on the pins. If one of the pins also has a rubber bush on it (called anti-vibration bush) then mineral grease will make it swell up and become sticky which will cause the caliper action to jam up. My Bosch calipers have these, not sure about yours. If when you strip them down again, you find that yours have this bush then you can get replacements from Bigg Redd. As said above, only lube the pins with silicon grease. Also, yes, best practice is to clean everything up with wire brush when changing disks and pads. Make sure to get rid of all the copper grease from where the pins go. Degrease with meths or something similar. Let us know how you get on! 

Copper Grease has poor lubricating properties. It is in fact an anti-seize compound. Never use Copper Grease on the back side of a brake disc mounting face as this can increase the Disc run out lead to DTV (Disc Thickness Variation) causing brake judder.

It's not there as a lube! It's there to prevent disk squeal. Repeat:it's NOT intended as a lube!                                   In case I've not made myself clear, DON'T put grease on the rear of your pads or on the parts of the pads that are on contact with the caliper frame. 

It's intended as an anti-seize.  But eventually it causes the exact problem you're trying to stop...dries out in the carrier and stops the pad ears sliding smoothly.  Much better to use Ceratec nowadays and always clean the carrier properly first.  I'm going to guess that's what was missed here.  So the pads aren't retracting far enough and are catching the disc due to centripetal force on bends.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nicam49 said:

Copper grease is perfectly fine to use on the back of the pads and on the piston mating surfaces, also on the pad's ears.

22 minutes ago, nicam49 said:

In case I've not made myself clear, DON'T put grease on the rear of your pads or on the parts of the pads that are on contact with the caliper frame. 

Well you've made that crystal clear...  Ever thought about a job in government? :tongue:  

It's essential to use proper grease on the back of the pads.  But only if you have it, if not you can use copper grease PLUS...that's copper grease plus precautions, like not eating it or wiping any excess on the disc face.  If you can't use copper grease, you should just leave everything dry, but make sure you clean the carrier properly, and for 20 seconds each side, maybe sing Rule Britannia twice to ensure you've covered the 20 seconds.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Well you've made that crystal clear...  Ever thought about a job in government? :tongue:  

It's essential to use proper grease on the back of the pads.  But only if you have it, if not you can use copper grease PLUS...that's copper grease plus precautions, like not eating it or wiping any excess on the disc face.  If you can't use copper grease, you should just leave everything dry, but make sure you clean the carrier properly, and for 20 seconds each side, maybe sing Rule Britannia twice to ensure you've covered the 20 seconds.

I've only used copper grease on the backplates and never had any problems with noise.A couple of years ago though on the drivers side the caliper guide pin seized on me turning the disc into a mini pretty blood moon 😁 Replacing my rears soon.I have some WD lithium high performance grease knocking around, is this suitable for caliper pins?Ceratec looks expensive😲Down to about 2mm friction pad material after 65000 miles👍

22 minutes ago, williamweb said:

I've only used copper grease on the backplates and never had any problems with noise.A couple of years ago though on the drivers side the caliper guide pin seized on me turning the disc into a mini pretty blood moon 😁 Replacing my rears soon.I have some WD lithium high performance grease knocking around, is this suitable for caliper pins?Ceratec looks expensive😲Down to about 2mm friction pad material after 65000 miles👍

No, lithium grease isn't suitable for slide pins as it can react with rubber.  I'm still using red rubber grease for slide pins but no idea if you can still buy that!  

Ceratec is expensive compared to copper grease but it lasts so long I haven't worried about the price.  After all, you'll be spending over £50 on discs and pads...what's an extra £3!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

...................................  I'm still using red rubber grease for slide pins but no idea if you can still buy that!  ...................................

Plenty of different sizes on eBay, just type in red rubber grease

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2505460.m570.l1311.R1.TR5.TRC1.A0.H1.TRS0&_nkw=red+rubber+grease&_sacat=0

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

No, lithium grease isn't suitable for slide pins as it can react with rubber.  I'm still using red rubber grease for slide pins but no idea if you can still buy that!  

Ceratec is expensive compared to copper grease but it lasts so long I haven't worried about the price.  After all, you'll be spending over £50 on discs and pads...what's an extra £3!

Agreed my tube of csratec goes along way you only need a small amount and it spreads everywhere. 

• Like 3

For slide pins Ford do a silicon lube, but I think any silicon would do, just don't use mineral-based lube 'cos of the rubber sleeve on one of the pins (the lower one) The mineral oil dissolves the rubber sleeve and jams up the caliper action... you end up with unevenly worn brake pads.             I always thought that red rubber grease was to lube the piston and inside of the rubber seal on the calipers. Just remembered, I bought some caliper rebuild kits from Bigg Redd, and the slide pin lube they supplied was silicon. On the other hand, they didn't supply any red rubber grease but my local friendly independant car shop sold me a blob for 50p

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club