Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loss of GPS in bad weather? (Sync 3)

GreyBeard

I've noticed that in poor weather I seem to loose GPS lock on the Sync 3 nav. 

This morning in Hull it's low cloud and rain, so the nav reports loss of GPS signal.  Thankfully the unit is smart enough most times to understand you were on a road an update the map accordingly but other times you end up with a blank screen or randomly traversing across the map.

See image for those lucky enough not to have seen the "no GPS lock" icon on the nav map.

Is there a way in the sync3 to show what GPS satellites the unit can currently see? I can remember very early sat navs had a diagnostic screen to show the number and strength of satellites which was helpful when testing.

Does anyone else suffer this problem and did you resolve it?

IMG_20200709_070126.jpg

You can find out satellite signal strength in the hidden menu, same method applies to Focus. I've only experienced No GPS signal on a remote stretch of the A9 (no phone or radio signal either).

Don't have an answer to the problem, unfortunately. There are many posts on this issue on Fiestas and Focuses. Mine frequently lost signal with no obvious cause, when the dealer looked at it naturally it wouldn't happen for them! I was told there were updates promised for software/apim module but afaik nothing has been done to my car, yet the issue has not appeared for over 18 months now.

I don't actually bother with satnav anyway, but the map is always visible on the home screen and has provided much amusement, such as when it showed us proceeding seawards down the middle of the Humber, when we were actually driving north up the Dales!

I do use the TSR feature though, which employs a combination of camera and GPS, so am glad to have that operating.

PS low cloud and drizzle where I am at the moment (top of Wensleydale) but my position is being shown accurately.

Thank @colinmcg71  I'll give that a try next time it happens and see whats up.  I had thought that with poor weather if most of the satellites were low angle it would cause issues.

I'd be reluctant to report for similar reasons @Eric Bloodaxe I can't find a repeatable bit of road.  Saying that the A63 here in Hull seems a strong candidate, but I'm not here all the time and Waze is a better alternative in most cases.

Thanks

5 hours ago, colinmcg71 said:

No GPS signal on a remote stretch of the A9 (no phone or radio signal either).

I thought GPS worked anywhere on the planet? I’ve driven the A9 a few times it’s a bit remote but people use GPS to navigate through the Sahara or climb Mount Kilimanjaro. 
No phone signal in large parts of Scotland was one of the reasons I got the stx . I think downloading routes is the safest way in the highlands..but GPS really should work. 

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

I thought GPS worked anywhere on the planet? 

You would certainly think so. I believe the US military who own the system have 30+ satellites in orbit and I think in theory you only need to pick up 4 for it to work.

I suspect the problem is not the GPS system itself but the receiving equipment in the car. When I first got mine I knew nothing about GPS (and still not much wiser lol) but I did a lot of searching on the web and the problems with Ford Sync 3 seem to be very widespread and yet random as some owners have problems, some don't, sometimes it starts to work ok again for no apparent reason as mine has for the last 18 months.

There seem to have been loads of problems in the States, several firms seem to be doing a roaring trade with replacement apim modules, extract from a typical ad below:

INTRODUCTION 

Do you own a vehicle with a factory installed defective or damaged Ford Sync 3 APIM module? Replace yours today! Some common problems with these units are the following:

• Circuit Board Related - No power, no video, no sound, or stuck on initial power on splash/logo screen.
  • Navigation Related - GPS fails to pinpoint your location, black screen after pressing "Map" button, or no navigation database found.
  • Software/Firmware - Buggy or lagging operating system.
  • Like 1

First GPS in a car I saw was in a Lincoln Navigator (owned by Ford?) 20 year ago! Seemed to work well even then..

Ford have taken something that works and made a no doubt cheap defective version of it..

• Haha 1

Ford navigation isn’t great even with a signal. I used it for one side of Glasgow to the other. It told me to take an alternative(much longer) route home due to congestion.   Knowing the area I ignored it. There was nothing ..green lights all the way too. I think that was Live Traffic gone wrong. Google maps is the benchmark..seeing as I have iPhone it’s Apple maps but bit ***** off the Ford gps and live traffic aren’t reliable . 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club