Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK 3.5 Powershift

Col66

I have been looking at a MK 3.5 2.0 TDCI Powershift but I have heard some horror stories about this gear box. The car I have looked at is a 17plate and has flappy paddles Has anyone got any experience of this set up?  

I had a 2017 1.5tdci with the powershift box and paddles. It's a dual clutch box which preselects the next gear so if you 'surprise' it and it's preselected the wrong gear then it can be a little clunky compared to a normal torque converter box. Clutch 1 controls 1st, 3rd and 5th gear. While clutch 2 controls 2nd, 4th and 6th (and R)

The earlier powershift boxes were prone to problems but the later versions were a lot more reliable. I never had an issue with mine at all. I owned it until I hit 34k miles and got rid because of the high service costs. The box requires a service every 3yrs or 36k miles whichever is soonest. If it hasn't had that done or there is no evidence then walk away - it's an absolute must to service these on time. 

The earlier models used the 6DCT250 Ford Powershift—6-speed dual clutch transmission with a dry clutch these were the boxes to avoid. The 2017 should have a 6DCT450 Ford Powershift with a wet clutch - more reliable and more efficient than previous. I now drive an A Class and do miss the powershift box a little.

Thanks for the info. I might just stick with a manual.

If reliability or vehicle history is stopping you then I wouldn't worry to much about it, if the service costs are putting you off (as they have done to me) then fair enough. 

Enjoy whatever car you go for in the end.

• Like 1

The diesel powershifts are fine as they used wet clutches, it was the dry clutch models that had all the issues.

Just don't hold it for long periods of time on the clutches and it'll be fine.

On 7/10/2020 at 7:25 AM, DaveT70 said:

The diesel powershifts are fine as they used wet clutches, it was the dry clutch models that had all the issues.

Just don't hold it for long periods of time on the clutches and it'll be fine.

Do you mean by if it's in drive mode taking it out and putting it into park or neutral? When would a long time be? The whole idea of me getting an auto is for city traffic. My first auto focus st3 2018 model I'm picking up Tuesday has 15k on the clock. 

On 7/12/2020 at 1:18 AM, richardc1983 said:

Do you mean by if it's in drive mode taking it out and putting it into park or neutral? When would a long time be? The whole idea of me getting an auto is for city traffic. My first auto focus st3 2018 model I'm picking up Tuesday has 15k on the clock. 

If stop start activates you don't need to worry.

What I mean is, for example, never hold it on a hill, waiting to pull off, holding it there by tickling the throttle etc, so it's biting on it's clutch, that's what causes the problems.

ST3 Powershift is amazing, I've heard, hope you enjoy it.

1 hour ago, DaveT70 said:

If stop start activates you don't need to worry.

What I mean is, for example, never hold it on a hill, waiting to pull off, holding it there by tickling the throttle etc, so it's biting on it's clutch, that's what causes the problems.

ST3 Powershift is amazing, I've heard, hope you enjoy it.

Getting excited now for it!

On 7/9/2020 at 9:35 PM, Jonro2009 said:

I had a 2017 1.5tdci with the powershift box and paddles. It's a dual clutch box which preselects the next gear so if you 'surprise' it and it's preselected the wrong gear then it can be a little clunky compared to a normal torque converter box. Clutch 1 controls 1st, 3rd and 5th gear. While clutch 2 controls 2nd, 4th and 6th (and R)

The earlier powershift boxes were prone to problems but the later versions were a lot more reliable. I never had an issue with mine at all. I owned it until I hit 34k miles and got rid because of the high service costs. The box requires a service every 3yrs or 36k miles whichever is soonest. If it hasn't had that done or there is no evidence then walk away - it's an absolute must to service these on time. 

The earlier models used the 6DCT250 Ford Powershift—6-speed dual clutch transmission with a dry clutch these were the boxes to avoid. The 2017 should have a 6DCT450 Ford Powershift with a wet clutch - more reliable and more efficient than previous. I now drive an A Class and do miss the powershift box a little.

Did your 17 plate have Apple, Android car play?

31 minutes ago, Col66 said:

Did your 17 plate have Apple, Android car play?

Certainly did, Sync3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club