Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync 3 software update issues. Grateful for advice

h0race01

Hello all

My first post - greetings from Northumberland.

I've just bought a 2018 Fiesta with a Sync 3 nav unit. The car came to me with software version 2.3, so I followed the instructions on the Ford UK website and successfully updated to version 3.0 build 19205. I then uploaded the log file and got the 'success' message. So far, so good...

The issue is that I'm running the 6.1 version of the maps. The Ford website is telling me that I still need to update the Sync 3 software before downloading new maps, but the file it is offering me is a tiny LST file which (unsurprisingly) won't work. Opening the file in notepad shows it contains the following text: "; SYNC3 Consumer Application Upgrade - Release 3.0.21 - Only for Nav/EU assemblies."

I've done some googling, and am hoping this is just a case of being patient while the Ford servers update (I've only had the car three days), but other than that, I don't see a way forward from here. In truth, the Sync 3 nav isn't great - no house number search, which is bizarre - but if it's there, I'd like it up to date.

For info, the page on the website shows my VIN number, and underneath that a message which reads "A software update is availableApprox. 0MB". Underneath that it says "Before you install Maps, you just need to update your SYNC sotware." (yes, it says 'sotware'...)

I'm sure I'm not the first to encounter this issue, so would be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Martin

I think you'll find the tiny file gets your unit to create a log file which you upload to the Ford site to confirm which files to prepare for you, did you upload the log file to Ford to confirm the last update? I find when my updates complete the log file isn't saved to the USB, to overcome this I just reinsert the USB it starts the update, realises it already there so produces the log file.

1 hour ago, brains_t said:

I think you'll find the tiny file gets your unit to create a log file which you upload to the Ford site to confirm which files to prepare for you, did you upload the log file to Ford to confirm the last update? I find when my updates complete the log file isn't saved to the USB, to overcome this I just reinsert the USB it starts the update, realises it already there so produces the log file.

Thanks. Sadly, that tiny file just produces an error message when I try to load it. 

I think I may be getting somewhere though - In frustration, I unzipped all the files in the last software download and have worked out that the files on my USB drive are actually for version 3.2.19056 (I'm currently on version 3). I've applied the update and got the message saying it was complete and would be available next time I turned on the ignition, but it doesn't go any further than that - just stays on version 3.

Still, I suppose I'm marginally better off than I thought I was.

Edit: The log file I uploaded to the Ford website was for version 3.0, so I assume that's what Ford think I am running (which is right). So i just need to get version 3.2 to install properly.

Can anyone tell me what should happen when I start the car after applying the update? Does it start immediately? Is it common for the process not to complete?

Thanks

The recent update was for the Maps, latest is F9. Check the software versions in SYNC 3 settings.

2 hours ago, brains_t said:

The recent update was for the Maps, latest is F9. Check the software versions in SYNC 3 settings.

Thanks. Settings tells me I'm running software version 3.0 and maps 6.1.

The problem is that the Ford webasite is telling me I need to update the software before it will let me have the new maps, but the file it is offering me is invalid.

So I'm stuck.

I'm probably not explaining the issue very well, so here's what the website is showing me (I've cut off the top part with my VIN). 

IMG_20200712_181943.jpg

OK, the website has just decided that my software is up to date and has given me a map to download.

No idea what's gone on, but with a bit of luck it will all work out.

Fingers crossed...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club