Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can I return Car?

spagball

I bought a used Ford Focus today and I believe the automatic gearbox isn't working correctly. I thought it felt a bit weird on test drive and brought it up will the Dealer but then I just thought I was being too picky. But now having driven 300mls its definitely not right. Also unfortunately I didn't go for the offered Warranty because it was only a few months I thought the car would b fine. I contacted Dealer (I don't live near to him) and he said not much can be done but agreed to pay for a diagnostic test (I don't think this would help because believe it's a mechanical problem) 

I would like to return the car tomorrow but what are my Rights? I've heard of a 14 day cooling off period but does this apply to used cars?

You have 6 months “warranty” as part of your statutory rights. 

Check citizens advice. Lots of great info there. 

• Like 3

PS While in England over from Ireland driving

I thought English people were supposed to be mannerly but man are they rude and have very little patience behind the wheel for someone like me who didnt know the road looking for an exit etc I thought Irish drivers were bad but have to say English drivers are terrible Seriously what the hell are you going so fast for all the time JUST RELAX people What happens to people when they get behind the wheel? Can't be new money that was done and dusted in the eighties must be society is more competitive now whatever ***** just respect people be treated as you would like to be treated 

• Sad 2

Well that’s one way to ask for help I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

23 minutes ago, spagball said:

I thought English people were supposed to be mannerly but man are they rude and have very little patience behind the wheel for someone like me who didnt know the road looking for an exit etc I thought Irish drivers were bad but have to say English drivers are terrible Seriously what the hell are you going so fast for all the time JUST RELAX people What happens to people when they get behind the wheel? Can't be new money that was done and dusted in the eighties must be society is more competitive now whatever ***** just respect people be treated as you would like to be treated 

Did you buy your car in England or Ireland?

In England (and other territories) you have up to 6 years to lay a claim about the quality, fitness for purpose, or a problem with description.

For the first 6 months, the onus is on the dealer to prove that a fault was not there at the time of purchase.

Get back in touch with the dealer, preferably written (email, letters) - within the first 30 days you have the right to reject also.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act#how-long-do-you-have-to-return-a-faulty-product

• Like 1

What’s wrong with it and how many miles has it done?

Regarding the driving in England, I have noticed since lockdown was eased that a lot of people seem to have forgotten how to drive safely and be courteous.

I like to drive a bit fast myself but some drivers just don't seem to be paying attention to the other drivers on the road.

• Like 3

On 7/10/2020 at 11:38 PM, spagball said:

Hey buddy, have you driven round the coast from Newtownards to Ballyhalbert? There are 100s of eejits that do that single windy road as if they're on a death wish, often overtaking on so many numerous blind spots. My 'secret' of 40 years driving with no accidents, is simply to treat every other driver as a moron, keep out of their way, and get home safely LOL 🤣

• Like 3

If you think roads are bad over here, you clearly didn't try a supermarket... :laugh: 

• Haha 2

Are you a resident in Ireland but came to the UK to buy a car from a dealer...? So that explains why you didn't take up the warranty, I suppose. It could just be that the gearbox needs an oil change, but some Ford autoboxes have an inherent/design  fault, but I can't remember the details, (something to do with a twin clutch... 🤔)... called Powershift, I think

43 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Hey buddy, have you driven round the coast from Newtownards to Ballyhalbert? There are 100s of eejits that do that single windy road as if they're on a death wish, often overtaking on so many numerous blind spots.🤣

Were you driving on that road when there was an event on at Kirkiston Motor Racing Circuit?

ScaniaPBman.

10 minutes ago, ScaniaPBman said:

Were you driving on that road when there was an event on at Kirkiston Motor Racing Circuit?

ScaniaPBman.

I've been driving that road for decades as a friend has a caravan down there. When there is an event at Kirkiston, it becomes even scarier as every motorbike on the road thinks they are actually at the race track already LOL

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 8:05 PM, spagball said:

I bought a used Ford Focus today and I believe the automatic gearbox isn't working correctly. I thought it felt a bit weird on test drive and brought it up will the Dealer but then I just thought I was being too picky. But now having driven 300mls its definitely not right. Also unfortunately I didn't go for the offered Warranty because it was only a few months I thought the car would b fine. I contacted Dealer (I don't live near to him) and he said not much can be done but agreed to pay for a diagnostic test (I don't think this would help because believe it's a mechanical problem) 

I would like to return the car tomorrow but what are my Rights? I've heard of a 14 day cooling off period but does this apply to used cars?

what is the vehicle....

engine
gearbox
mileage
service history
exact symptoms

the DSG manual's with "auto change", are full of issues that got less and less serious as they got newer, with all the faults gone by build date Jul 2016

along the lines off
2011 2014 needs a new gearbox, both clutches, control unit and software (USA and Australia got all these free)
2015 Clutches and software
I think by 2018 UK secretly got a 5 year extension to the manu warranty.... but as NO ONE knew this, most left it till its too late for any 2013 or older cars
And as many UK people have a distinct lack of responsibility, even a guy at work when his was in warranty just sold the car instead of getting ford to take ownership for their sloppy workmanship

as for courtesy,

virtually all UK drivers are arrogant, selfish, useless drivers, with a belief they will drive faster than anyone else.  However it comes with a complete inability to perform at such levels, and thus they clog up the outside lane, driving badly and getting in the way... sadly its unknow to self, but their subconscious is clearly aware they shouldn't have a licence (hence the person's conflicted incompetence)

As for a Irishman suggesting we drive fast.... that's got to be saved for 1 April ?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Botus said:

As for a Irishman suggesting we drive fast.... that's got to be saved for 1 April ?

I would like to disassociate myself (coming from Ireland), from the comments of the OP towards 'English' drivers LOL I also speak as someone with a RoSPA class 1 driving test, and a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists. Like I said, my strategy is to keep away from all drivers, no matter what nationality they are  😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Like I said, my strategy is to keep away from all drivers, no matter what nationality they are  😁

How many lanes do you have on Irish roads!? :laugh:  Sadly we're restricted to just one or two, meaning there are constantly people pulling out in front that you have to actively take evasive action against... :rolleyes:  

• Haha 1

Try driving in Greece, Turkey or India.
They seem to have no rules whatsoever. [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Try driving in Greece, Turkey or India.
They seem to have no rules whatsoever. emoji2.png

I know we're well off topic here, but yes, India has about 150,000 deaths a year on the road (no, that's not a typo). UK usually hovers around 3000...Even taking in  differences in population, that wold work out at almost 3 x times what we have.

In some countries drivers have a religious belief that their god will protect them from harm so they seem to make no effort themselves. Road safety campaigns have a bit of trouble overcoming that kind of thinking

• Like 2

On 7/12/2020 at 11:02 PM, isetta said:

In some countries drivers have a religious belief that their god will protect them from harm so they seem to make no effort themselves. Road safety campaigns have a bit of trouble overcoming that kind of thinking

And unsurprisingly in those Countrys the death rate by road accidents is far higher than per capita it should be.

Sorry for late reply I believe the Dealer has been extremely helpful and should get the situation sorted. As regards English drivers maybe I was too harsh I used to be quite a fast driver myself but I was always courteous but now don't drive fast on the road instead I do Trackdays both bike and Car so get my speed thrills there I go to kirkistown (photo) and Mondello and I've been on the road from Newtonards to Ballyhalbert and you're right it is like a racetrack saw some mad things on that road over the years and some terrible accidents mostly motorcycles 

• Like 3

Full Refund from Dealer obviously over the moon they didn't have to do that really happy I was dealing with good people won't tell you who it was because same as I'm a power seller on eBay when people think they are being kind because I sorted their defective purchase and they tell people about it my Sales dip for about two months 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spagball said:

Full Refund from Dealer obviously over the moon they didn't have to do that really happy I was dealing with good people won't tell you who it was because same as I'm a power seller on eBay when people think they are being kind because I sorted their defective purchase and they tell people about it my Sales dip for about two months 

So what did you think was wrong with the auto box?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/20/2020 at 10:50 PM, vibeone said:

So what did you think was wrong with the auto box?

Amusingly, after all that, we never got to find out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club