Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Used car - no service book

Shoxt3r

Hi all,

So I've been debating about getting a Ford Mondeo and managed to find one at a reasonable price (about £11k).
Unfortunately when I asked about service history they said that they couldn't find the service book but they had serviced the car when they received it back in March.

It's a 2015 model with 25,000 miles. I've given it a test drive and a once-over and all seems well.
The dealer has said it will get a fresh MOT (due December 2020) and it will get a 145-point check before I take delivery.

I've given the dealer a chance and said if they can find the full details of when and where each service took place then I might be inclined to buy - otherwise I'm basically not interested. They're going to chase their buyer for the outstanding history and get back to me sometime early next week, so we shall see. We're not talking a small back-street dealer here by the way, this is a Ford dealership; all the more reason I'm puzzled it hasn't been picked up.

Thoughts?

• Sad 1

Bet they don't get back to you.... 

• Like 1

If the previous owners details were in it, it will have had to be destroyed for data protection.  They're also not allowed to supply you any receipts with their name & address on.  But most likely the previous owner lost it.

I bought a 5 year old Focus privately with full dealer history but a ruined service book (Ford tech error), I never could get it rectified and get confirmation of the earlier services. :sad: 

Realistically though, it doesn't matter until you come to sell...  It's well out of manufacturer warranty and a few stamps in a book don't prove anything, they get forged all the time.

• Like 1

If you can find the original supplying dealer details they may have some records of work done.

If the car has only covered 25K miles then I would think that there would be very little service history, probably first service after new and one other. I wouldn't be too bothered about it at that low a mileage but if you do buy the car tell them that you want it fully serviced before you take delivery and that they supply a new service book with that service recorded in it.

• Like 1

I take it Ford like other manufactures have now done away with service books? It's computerised for most, and any dealer can check the history. It's a 5 year old car now, when you come to sell it a paper booklet won't many any difference. On a car beyond 5 years old I'd say what you see is what you get. Actual receipts might prove work was done, I'd never assume a book stamped did. I have a rubber stamp kit and you can make up any stamp you like. I used to stamp my own book when I did a service to remind myself of the date / mileage. If you wanted to fake it just use a garage that has gone bust or changed hands, no way to verify that.

On the wife's Fiesta I took out the pollen filter and air filter when we got the car as it had just been fully serviced by Ford. And guess what?

They both looked brand new. Am I a cynic or what 🙂

TBH if you are at all unsure take it to your local indy and get them to do one.  oil, air and pollen and general look over, it might be around £150 or so but it would give you peace of mind.  And a service is never a bad thing.

If I was buying it I wouldn’t be too bothered as long as they service it now. But if they say they will how will you know they have done? I bought a 10 month old fiesta. As the service was due in 2 months I said I would only buy if they do the service. I went to collect it after they said service now done. They had stamped the book but how do I know it was done?. Oil was dark but then it always seems to be in a diesel even when oil changed.

I'd try and knock them down £150 and then get my mechanic to service it and give it the once over. I did this with the car I just bought, this was not a main dealer though.

The main thing that would concern me with the lack of a service history is weather or not the cam belt has been changed. People probably don't do it now but if you discretely put a seal on parts that have to be removed, parted, opened up or renewed, when it comes back from service you look to see if those seals have been broken.

Hi shouldn't it have been serviced once a year anyway or is it totally mileage dependent? 

Depends on year and engine. Mine is every 2 years. So, depending on engine, it's possible that a 2015 car with very low mileage might only have had a couple of services. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club