Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Older Ecoboost vs newer Zetec

jertum

Hi, hope you're all good. 

I've seen a 17 plate Zetec at a local independent garage that I'm contemplating getting: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202006250498366

It drives well, has a really low mileage (19k), and it's in good nick. Trouble is, I'm aware that the 1.0 Ecoboost is preferred by most, but I'd have to get something a couple of years older and with a higher mileage to get a model with that engine. This one caught my eye: https://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/ford/fiesta/1-0-ecoboost-zetec-5dr/2015/ref/arnco-u-21409

Any advice would be appreciated!

I had the same decision to make, went with a slightly older car that got me both a higher spec (Zetec S) and the Ecoboost 125 engine. I feel I would have regretted getting the other car.

In terms of mileage, an extra ~2000 miles won't make any difference, but the Ecoboost you linked being 2 years older means the timing belt will need doing sooner which is a big and expensive job on those engines. Not sure about the 1.25 timing belts cost, but if you're keeping the car for a long time it's something to consider.

I'm not sure about those prices, to be honest I don't know if cars have got more expensive since February with all this Covid stuff, but I paid just under £8K for my Fiesta back then and mine is higher spec and more powerful for not much more money, and with less miles than both of them when I got it. I even saw Ecoboost 140s and ST-Lines for around this price, but again I don't know if prices have just gone up in general.

The Ecoboost will pick up quicker with it being a turbo engine. It will probably have slightly more BHP depending on whether it's 100ps or 125ps (it doesn't state which one it is)
They are basically the same car except the engine and the number of doors. The 1.25 is non-turbo and has 4 cylinders whereas the 1.0 ecoboost only has a 1L 3 cylinder engine. 
They both seem to have the same Sync system in (stereo) so will have bluetooth phone connectivity for calls and USB for music. They both have DAB so more choice for stations but sync 1.1 is basic in terms of what you can do with it. Also, both of the stereos seem to have the nav button so check if it has the built in sat nav (although it's pretty pants) and if they do, make sure the memory card is present (it's located in a slot above the display screen). 
I think the 1.25 Zetec has a higher tax rate due to higher emissions. 

If you go for the ecoboost, make sure you check for rust on the turbo pipes in the engine bay (plenty of threads on here about that) as it may be one of the earlier models which had rust issues. 
The 15 plate ecoboost actually seems to have quite low mileage for it's age at only 21k. If you're thinking about the ecoboost, make sure it has been serviced regularly before you buy (this applies to both actually but more so with the ecoboost). 

The only other things are personal preference on engines, colours and number of doors and what you'll be using the car for (commuting or just social, domestic and pleasure). 
Depending on your age, the insurance would probably be lower on the 1.25 Zetec. 

Thanks both for your replies - really helpful.

39 minutes ago, Bongo2296 said:

I'm not sure about those prices, to be honest I don't know if cars have got more expensive since February with all this Covid stuff,

I'm pretty sure you're right about this. I was initially looking at Fiestas in the 3k range to replace my 2010 Edge (RIP), thinking I'd get another 10 year old model for 3k like I did a few years ago. Not the case unfortunately - there's either been zero depreciation on Fiestas in the past 3 years, or prices have gone up considerably since March. So I'm thinking there's not much point in paying over the odds for something that could only last 3/4 years and will probably need the cambelt etc. doing. - might be better off going for a high deposit finance option and getting a newer car (hoping for lower repair costs).

47 minutes ago, Nick Y said:

Depending on your age, the insurance would probably be lower on the 1.25 Zetec.

I'd not thought of that actually. I'd be sharing the car with my wife - we're both in our 30s but the car was written off in an accident that was our fault, so definitely something to consider as our premiums are likely to increase on renewal. Just checked insurance groups: Zetec is in 7 and Ecoboost is in 11.

i've found another Zetec that would mean taking on less finance: https://www.jct600.co.uk/used-cars/ford-fiesta-125-82-zetec-5dr-hatchback-white-manual-petrol/id-1233581956/

It does look a good car. The 1.25 is a 4 cylinder with a proven track record. But the performance is basic. The newer 3 cylinder eco engines 1.0 are driven harder and have had a few issues. Reliability is the most important factor for me. 

Also, when test driving the car, pull over turn the engine off and plug in a code reader and check there are no error codes pending and that all the engine check self tests are ticked as ok. If it drives well and feels good then I would stick with the 1.25. Why do the new eco engines use a wet timing belt?

I've driven a 1.25 2004 fiesta for the last 14 years and my wife likes driving it. She is not keen on the newer fiestas because the small rear window makes reversing harder. I had already brough the haynes manual and been reading up on it. You need to ask your wife if she likes the  car. And use a comparison site to test what quotes you would get for insurance, the ig should not make much difference in price. I plan on getting a newer car that looks like the older fiesta style but with a better performance 4 cylinder engine and lower tax. My daughter is having my old fiesta.

Lots and lots of threads on here on the relative merits of the two engines. 1.25 is very nippy in town and local driving, wilts a bit on the open road where good anticipation and prompt gearchanging is needed to keep it on the boil. So the ecoboost is probably the better choice if you do a lot of out of town work. Also, if you were interested, the ecoboost has potential for a remap, the 1.25 basically doesn't.

Both the cars you're looking at are pretty low mileage but I'd ensure service records are complete, particularly the ecoboost. Oh, and I don't have personal experience of Arnold Clark but according to a lot of the guys on here they're not known as "Arnold Shark" for nothing!😃

If you're pushing the budget that much, there are far better cars about! 

Have a look at the Mazda 2 (basically a Fiesta underneath, but with Japanese engines and cam chains) or the Suzuki Swift, again with Jap reliability and a lifetime chain. 

(Also, I wildly overestimated your age due to your brand loyalty and base spec previous cars...30s!?  Are you sure? :g: :biggrin: )

Hello

Just comparing the 2 cars the blue one will be £150 road tax as it was registered June 2017 whereas the black one because its an ecoboost will be free tax.

The only thing I would say is if you buy the ecoboost don't the expect the fuel economy to be anywhere near the official figures. Mine has 125bhp but I am only averaging 36.3mpg.

I do like my fiesta apart from this. I bought mine just over 3 years ago at 2 1/2 years old with 10k on it from Arnold Clark Blackpool and was impressed with the service but not all Arnold Clark dealers are the same. I have one locally and the amount of horror stories i have heard is unbelievable. 

Hope this helps

18 hours ago, jertum said:

Went to see this one today - it's definitely lived a life and not been well looked after. Even had some paint flaking off the front bumper.

Came close to putting a deposit down on this too: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202007101086779

It actually looks a lot better in person and it drove way better than I expected it to - the Ecoboost engine is massively more responsive than the standard Zetec! The price looks about average for the age and year - certainly can't find anything cheaper that has such a low mileage and the dealer has a good reputation around here (much better than the main dealers anyway). The insurance cost is the same and there'd be no tax to pay, as @statts pointed out. 

The only thing holding me back is that it's one of the earlier Ecoboost models and I've heard horror stories about them overheating etc. Anyone had any bad experiences with the 2013 Ecoboosts? Anything I should look out for?

The that car could be one of the affected ones, it's the right age, but it should have been fixed. Ford fixed them all for free so the only reason it will still have the problem is lazy ownership, which could mean general maintenance was also not kept up with. 

Ask the garage to find out for you, and don't buy it if they can't give a definitive answer because, well, they should be able to find out with it being such a big safety concern. 

That's the earliest Fiesta Ecoboosts. Rusty coolant pipes in the turbo are possible. Also there's a coolant hose that that has a metal part inbetween rubber hoses. They metal part can get rusty and break. In newer Fiesta Ecoboosts there is just full rubber pipe. 

12 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

If you're pushing the budget that much, there are far better cars about! 

Have a look at the Mazda 2 (basically a Fiesta underneath, but with Japanese engines and cam chains) or the Suzuki Swift, again with Jap reliability and a lifetime chain. 

(Also, I wildly overestimated your age due to your brand loyalty and base spec previous cars...30s!?  Are you sure? :g: :biggrin: )

I like the Swift but the insurance is a lot higher than the Fiesta

On 7/12/2020 at 12:23 AM, jertum said:

Thanks both for your replies - really helpful.

I'm pretty sure you're right about this. I was initially looking at Fiestas in the 3k range to replace my 2010 Edge (RIP), thinking I'd get another 10 year old model for 3k like I did a few years ago. Not the case unfortunately - there's either been zero depreciation on Fiestas in the past 3 years, or prices have gone up considerably since March. So I'm thinking there's not much point in paying over the odds for something that could only last 3/4 years and will probably need the cambelt etc. doing. - might be better off going for a high deposit finance option and getting a newer car (hoping for lower repair costs).

I'd not thought of that actually. I'd be sharing the car with my wife - we're both in our 30s but the car was written off in an accident that was our fault, so definitely something to consider as our premiums are likely to increase on renewal. Just checked insurance groups: Zetec is in 7 and Ecoboost is in 11.

i've found another Zetec that would mean taking on less finance: https://www.jct600.co.uk/used-cars/ford-fiesta-125-82-zetec-5dr-hatchback-white-manual-petrol/id-1233581956/

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club