Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dash Cam Recommendations?

richardc1983

Dunno which one to get?! 

8 hours ago, richardc1983 said:

Dunno which one to get?! 

Kinda like a restaurant meal - whatever one you do get, you'll end up wishing you got the other LOL 😃

9 hours ago, richardc1983 said:

Dunno which one to get?! 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3101999

Thats the one I have. Does a really good job and the rear cam add on is a nice to have as extra security if you get hit. I am also very happy with the video quality.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Matthew McGuinness said:

Thats the one I have. Does a really good job and the rear cam add on is a nice to have as extra security if you get hit. I am also very happy with the video quality.

And an offer on the Micro SD card too ...

image.png.e24f046031f34e61b732f5f9c24f9513.png £90 for the camera, £30 for a 64GB card gets an extra saving of £12 so you pay £108

If you (or a family member) work for Sainsbury's or Argos you get an extra 10% off so the bundle would be £97.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fiestaecoboostman said:

And an offer on the Micro SD card too ...

, £30 for a 64GB card

£30 for a 64Gb card?? Geeze, that's a bit steep. You can buy them for £9 here!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matthew McGuinness said:

How does the rear camera work though? It would have to be dead centre on the windscreen to face towards the back?

9 minutes ago, richardc1983 said:

How does the rear camera work though? It would have to be dead centre on the windscreen to face towards the back?

I have my camera placed right next to the rear view mirror on the passenger side and it views the whole width of the back window. I will admit it was a bit of a pain to get it into a position where the back camera gave me the view i wanted.

I'd seriously advise staying away from eBay, there's high numbers of counterfeit cards on there, amazon also carries a moderate risk.of fake cards as well, So when buying ensure you check the packaging and the card itself for anything odd about them. 

I use Sandisk high endurance cards for my GoPro/Drone and also for the dashcam.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ennvoqation said:

I'd seriously advise staying away from Ebay,

OK nanny, point taken LOL 🤣 Though I have been buying off eBay for 18 years now, had one duff sale (out of almost 2000 transactions) which was refunded by PayPal. Just do your research on the seller. Buying/selling anything is all about trust!

1 minute ago, Frembrit said:

If you buy an SD card from Amazon, just make sure it's sold by amazon and not a third party.

Have a look here  a comment by Nextbase about Sandisk cards.

Geeze 🙄 Some people shouldn't be let out without adult supervision...,

Just now, Frembrit said:

If you buy an SD card from Amazon, just make sure it's sold by amazon and not a third party.

Doesn't matter about buying from third party or direct as amazon mixes stock at their warehouse which has caused problems in the past. It's not as prevalent as it used to be but again, caveat emptor. 

3 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Geeze 🙄 Some people shouldn't be let out without adult supervision...,

Hey man, just saying. I should have added that I've never had a problem with SD cards sold by amazon.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, richardc1983 said:

That seems a really good deal. I was looking at the 522gw but only difference is a larger resolution and screen. The 322gw on Amazon with the kit is £125 and doesn't come with the polarising lens. Is it worth halfords wiring it in or do we not trust them. 

Halfords fitted my 322 and I’m very pleased. Fits neatly behind mirror. Video is excellent. 

2 hours ago, Frembrit said:

That would explain why my cards failed every few months on my last car, I will just bite the bullet and buy the propper one next time. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just hard wired my Nextbase 522GW with attached rear camera to my 2020 Focus. Used tap to Fuse 3 in footwell so it comes on with ignition. Works well and adjusting the polarizing filter makes a big difference. All in all took less than an hour. No wires showing either. Lol. Plus I now don't have to bother remembering to unplug it every time I leave the car.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 12:35 PM, richardc1983 said:

Does anyone know if it is capacitor based or battery based? The reviews talk about a battery but I would rather have a capacitor.

ALL current Nextbase dashcams are battery based, if you take a look at https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/ you'll find a number of people in recent years posting about their Nextbase cams crapping themselves when the battery fails (usually within 6 months).  I also had this issue with their flagship (last gen) 4K model....AND a replacement unit, Nextbase also won't sell you a replacement battery to fit yourself.  Obviously you're covered if you're still within warranty but it's doesn't exactly inspire confidence that the cam will last 3-4 years etc.

In my book, if a dashcam can't be trusted to work when it's needed then it's not worth bothering with.

21 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

Nextbase also won't sell you a replacement battery to fit yourself. 

The batteries are standard LiPo 3.7v 280mAh (approx) battery, which can be had for around £10, It's a bit of a faff to dismantle the unit and solder a new battery but it took me about an hour for a friends camera and there's tutorials over on YouTube covering the various model. You can get larger capacities but you have to ensure the size of the battery is the same/ A good place to find these types of batteries are model shops as they're often used for RC drones and cars.

For me I don't care about battery life, the camera is only used for when I'm travelling not parked up which brings it's own issues of being stolen. 

Just now, Ennvoqation said:

The batteries are standard LiPo 3.7v 280mAh (approx) battery, which can be had for around £10, It's a bit of a faff to dismantle the unit and solder a new battery but it took me about an hour for a friends camera and there's tutorials over on YouTube covering the various model. You can get larger capacities but you have to ensure the size of the battery is the same/ A good place to find these types of batteries are model shops as they're often used for RC drones and cars.

For me I don't care about battery life, the camera is only used for when I'm travelling not parked up which brings it's own issues of being stolen. 

The problem with a lot of Nextbase cams, apart from a lack of software stability is their cams seems to be REALLY sensitive to battery charge state (the onboard battery) and as soon as the charge state gets low and/or the battery starts to get tired, the higher end cams in particular generally start to act up i.e. freezing up etc.

The sad thing is, the video quality on the 2 612s I had was fantastic but i wasn't willing to put with the stability issues I experienced (with both units).

i have the nextbase 412 gw hardwired in to my 67 plate focus fuse f85, this will turn off and on with your ignition.

had it for the last 18 months and have never had a problem.

plus the software on the pc ain't that bad for editing the clips should you need to.

thinkware F750 modded to an F770, dual cam, with parking mode. absolute god send of a device albeit, its somewhat awkward to mount of you have the full suite of cameras mounted at your rear view mirror

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club