Sign in to follow this  
Charos87

Belts and air

Hi everyone, just looking for a bit of advice if you don't mind. I have a 1.8tdci  mk 4 mondeo with two issues. 

The first one is a bit of oil on the belt causing a squealing sound and a small jump when coming off drive (as in the belt being driven not the car). Is there anything I could use to clean the belt or would it be better to simply replace the belt? 

The second issue is that I have an air sucking sound under acceleration but only when the car is under load. In nuetral and stood still, there is no noise, the turbo seems fine. I'm guessing it's a split pipe from the intercooler but any suggestions are welcome. 

I hope everyone is safe and well! 

Cheers

On 7/16/2020 at 9:46 PM, Charos87 said:

Hi everyone, just looking for a bit of advice if you don't mind. I have a 1.8tdci  mk 4 mondeo with two issues. 

The first one is a bit of oil on the belt causing a squealing sound and a small jump when coming off drive (as in the belt being driven not the car). Is there anything I could use to clean the belt or would it be better to simply replace the belt? 

The second issue is that I have an air sucking sound under acceleration but only when the car is under load. In nuetral and stood still, there is no noise, the turbo seems fine. I'm guessing it's a split pipe from the intercooler but any suggestions are welcome. 

I hope everyone is safe and well! 

Cheers

Issue 1: the belt can't be cleaned thoroughly so it needs to be replaced.

Issue 2: The Focus version if engine (KKDA) had a slightly different top intercooler hose layout.  The initial 90 degree bend at the top was a rubbery/plastic hose and that connected into a long steel section that contained a sensor (air temp I think).  Your layout probably just has a big long hose running all the way from the top (rear) to front (lower).  The rubber degrades over time, mainly due to heat from the engine and becomes brittle before eventually splitting. Splits tend to be on the underside of the hose and commonly on a bend in the hose.  Unfortunately revving the engine whilst in neutral doesn't generate as much boost as real driving, so a crack can be hard to see (plus the hose is black coloured and covered in 10 years worth of crap).

The diagnose mine, I got someone else to rev the engine out to 4000 RPM and hold it there whilst I worked along the pipe with my hands.  I made sure the engine was nice and warm in advance and it meant I could easily feel the hot air escaping the hose.

Thank you, it is indeed that long pipe that runs from the intercooler to the turbo on the drivers side (I believe that's right) the crack is almost at the connection to the turbo. It has a sensor connected to it and I am struggling to find a suitable replacement that includes the sensor slot so if anyone can help me in the right direction I would really appreciate it! I will replace the belt ASAP too. 

13 hours ago, Charos87 said:

Thank you, it is indeed that long pipe that runs from the intercooler to the turbo on the drivers side (I believe that's right) the crack is almost at the connection to the turbo. It has a sensor connected to it and I am struggling to find a suitable replacement that includes the sensor slot so if anyone can help me in the right direction I would really appreciate it! I will replace the belt ASAP too. 

If you PM me your reg I'll see if I can find the correct part number.

Damian is bang on the money with how to find a split in the Ford rubber pipes. It's as if they don't want to be found. On a bend and underneath usually. 

@Charos87 I searched 7-zap using your VIN (I used FordEtis to translate your reg into your VIN).  I'd forgotten Ford did this but they decided in their infinite wisdom, that the IAT sensor was no longer required on the Mondeo/Galaxy versions of the 1.8 TDCi.  Basically Ford part number 1521483 is the "correct" part as far as Ford are concerned, but in reality it's only correct if you also get Ford to update the PCM so the engine no longer expects the IAT sensor to be doing it's stuff.  (I guess that Ford would call this "progress").

Your build specific info for the intercooler related stuff can be found here https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/39/code.7t,1.28606,2.36157,4.47205,6.4255,7.1276,9.32934,10.32097,12.37222,13.32959,15.46426,17.18431/23/1559/15549/67818/?vin=wf0exxgbbe7t79287#6C646A

You want a replacement for the "original" design so I think your only chance will be vehicle scrappers/recyclers.  I've used www.partsgateway.co.uk for a number of items previously, including a used MTX-75 gearbox without any problems.  You put your reg in and then tell them what you want, you don't need part numbers but if you tell them you want the pipe that looks like 1521483 but still has the hole/thread for the IAT sensor, with how many Mondeo/Galaxies are knocking about I'd be amazed if someone doesn't have the "original" part in stock.  You also get quotes from each of the interested businesses so you can compare feedback/warranties etc before making a purchase.

image.thumb.png.02377f4990014f7c6c9baadeee84703e.pngimage.thumb.png.ac74c26d8056059a460e1fb9f7ce35a4.png

@1979Damian I honestly can't thank you enough for your help here. I really appreciate it mate.